Heres over 100 pics showing whats left of Moc-A-Tek Speedway. Moc-A-Tek shut its gates in 2004 unfortunately. Most of the pictures are from 2007... but there are a few that I took when I was up there in the summer of 2006 snoopin' around. My father raced there from the early 80's to the early 90's.

Heres the link:

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/BDC...Tek%20Speedway/

Enjoy

thats pretty neat, thanks for posting that

now for a couple questions,

where is this track and why did it close down?

what did they run?

dirt or paved?

thanks

Moc-A-Tek was a 1/4 mile dirt track in Northeastern PA that ran 358 Mods, Sportsman, and a few support divisions on Saturday nights. I believe they also ran Micro Sprints for some period of time. Always a 'rural' area track, it had seen a lot of improvements in its last few years before eventually being shut down by the locals. Don't know all the specifics, but it had something to do with the way the rainwater drained off the property and supposedly damaged the nearby area. It all seemed kind of hokey at the time, the owners were even willing to fix the issue, but they never got the chance. That's my understanding of how it unfolded anyway, I could be wrong.

Moc-A-Tek was home to many great Modified drivers over the years - Dick Marcinko, the Rudalavages, Joey Grammes, George Watson, the Tittle brothers, Dale Porecca, Bernie and Gary Griffin..... a whole bunch of them. It used to be fun seeing them running against the Five Mile guys on Fridays at Penn Can - kind of a neutral ground showdown of sorts.

Never was a showplace like New Egypt or Virginia, but it was home to a lot of great racers and it provided good hard short track racing. Kind of like Pennsylvania's version of Afton I guess is the best comparison I could make....

How many cars from Moc-A-Tek went to Penn Can after 2004? I remember hearing

allot about this speedway and always wanted to go there.

All I got to say is what a shame! I unfortunatly never made it to Moc-A-Tek.......neat little place. Wish it were still around!

I was only there a couple times, but I thought it was kick ass. It was a little dumpy, but it had personality by the pound.

glad you guys enjoyed them. Moc-A-Tek was a large part of my childhood... so im happy at least I got to spend a couple years enjoying what it had to offer.

Mok-A-Tek, located about 25 minutes from Scranton, ran modifieds, sportsman, late models (pre-1991), street stocks, & micro-sprints.

Chris Akulis: I think its awesome you mentioned George Watson. He indeed was a great driver that many forget about. George ran my fathers car at Penn-Can on Friday nights from 89-93 (my father is Dave Chase). A few weeks ago George was asked to participate in the Legends race at Five Mile (i think) thats coming up soon, but he declined. He says if he goes to a race again, within 5 minutes he'll own another modified. But he's a class act.. great guy. Some say George has the best flip ever at Fulton Speedway haha...

Some other drivers started out at Moc-A-Tek... Mike Loney drove street stock there for many years, now hes a defending Sportsman Champion at Penn-Can. Other notable drivers that are still racing include (that weren't mentioned by Chris): Bobby Trapper (currently at Penn-Can), Frank Yankowski (Penn-Can part-time), Dom Roselli (OCFG I think), Jim Witko (Fulton), Billy Trego (still racing.. i think at Big Diamond), Larry Badaroco, Tom McGurrin (Five Mile), Bobby Pucket (Five Mile), Dave Jenkins (Penn-Can) I'm sure there are more, I just cannot think back at the moment.

Anyway thanks for looking!

Nobody mentioned the Stradas. Eddie had a real nice Model A sedan #1e back in the 70's and I think Lynn Highhouse had a companion car also #1L. Also, Dave Kneisel #711 who was a very successful racer and owned a speed shop business nearby. In the late 80's and early 90's there were quite a few of the Accord racers that ran Moc-A-Tek while Accord was closed.

It's a shame that Moc-A-Tek closed up over storm drainage and silt issues. Seems like those issues could be eliminated by paving the racing surface. It would make a great little asphalt track!

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Politics were definitely involved in the closing of this track. The property owner thought she would make a killing by selling it for development. Very sad to see the pictures.

I see it's a blossoming economic investment for her now.....

Bryan, George Watson was one tough driver at Penn Can. I think he's the first one I ever saw using Main Racing Engines. And Lynn Highhouse! God, one of the nicest guys you will ever meet in racing. He was actually running Limited Supers at Oswego a few years ago. There's more great short track guys that raced at Moc-A-Tek than we could list in an hour. Sad to see it go the way of Reading, Penn National, East Windsor, Flemington, Nazareth, etc....

Ryan Olsommer, Mike McCollum are a couple of other guys that raced at Mok-A-Tek. J.R. Crouse???

It's a shame to see the place close. It was a lot like Afton. It was a working man's track so to speak. Small little 1/4 mile but they were getting some huge car counts before they were shut down by a bunch of morons crying about run-off making the lake. Silt in the lake and it's all the track's fault. It was a total B.S. move and as a result we lost a successful speedway.

I know when I lived in Middletown I would always go there for a few races when the fair was in town just to go somewhere different. It was awesome place.

Im not quite sure but i think Tom Laner was the sportsman champ there the last yr. He now races with us the CRSA sprintcar club. Looks like he should be real good with some seat time. I hope a lot of people look at those pictures as the way this forum goes sometime there will be a lot more tracks looking like that. People need to stay positive on there home tracks (JMO).

If looking at those pictures doesn't bring a tear to your eye, you are not a race fan. I never made an event at Moc-A-Tek, but I sure did read about it alot in the papers and had always wanted to see it. It baffles me how the track (moderately successful at best) lasted all those years. Obviously, drivers and fans couldn't have cared less about the ammenities because they came anyway. And you can see that the track and operational facilities are pretty much left intact. I'm glad the vandals and hoodlums didn't spraypaint everything with graffiti and smash everything they could get their hands on. The pictures pretty much tell the story... shut down mid season, never to reopen again.

Interesting coincidence??? Moc-A-Tak was referred to as "Pennsylvania's Afton." And now Afton has followed suit... probably gone for good. Believe me when I say this... I am not here to put a whammy or hex on anyone, so I'll keep the names of a few tracks I think are next under my hat. And us fans better start getting used to this.

Very, very sad to see.....Cut my teeth there, some tough compitition. Billy Pauch used to called the place "Make-a-Wreck". I thougt they were going to make it once Fuzzy stated grooming the track. Nice pics. The track actually looks in better shape now than when we raced there!

wow! I just found this whole post and it it just brought back a flood of memories. Not to bring up an old post but this track was my home track. I ran street stocks there for a few years but grew up there as a kid also. I still havent raced anywere to this day that made me feel like that place did. I miss it greatly but am glad I had the chance to be a part of it for so many years.

I actually didn't even remember this post. Having grown up as an OCFS regular for 16 years, I also attended Accord several times which was the size of Moc-A-Tek back then. Many of them would call this little bullring home too as they just didn't have the $$$ to race OCFS.

What's weird was that I never went there untl I moved to Syracuse. They hosted a mid-week big block challenge and I remember seeing Bob McCreadie, Rich Eurich and few other surprises there. (I think 1989, cause Eurich was in the Tobias).

What a family atmosphere and yes its a shame that politics did come in. I remember the Van Horn's tried and I think a few others to fight but it just became too much of an issue.

What's weird was that I never went there untl I moved to Syracuse. They hosted a mid-week big block challenge and I remember seeing Bob McCreadie, Rich Eurich and few other surprises there. (I think 1989, cause Eurich was in the Tobias).

That was my only career Moc-A-Tek appearance. I don't know why, but I remember a lot about that race. The Modified field only had 17-18 cars, but it was a diverse field. In addition to the previously mentioned Bob McCreadie and Rich Eurich, the other big surprise in the field was Denny Soltis from the Valley. McCreadie was either leading or running second when he spun in the fourth turn; Butch Tittle ended up winning.

That was my only career Moc-A-Tek appearance. I don't know why, but I remember a lot about that race. The Modified field only had 17-18 cars, but it was a diverse field. In addition to the previously mentioned Bob McCreadie and Rich Eurich, the other big surprise in the field was Denny Soltis from the Valley. McCreadie was either leading or running second when he spun in the fourth turn; Butch Tittle ended up winning.

The Small Block field was bigger that nite and faster too (they knew how to race Mokie). That was my first trip there. Watching Lynn Highhouse was like watching an artist at work, With a chain saw.

These pictures are absolutely heartbreaking, and I had never been to that track. I can just imagine what those who called it home must feel...

What I instantly thought was how I wish that all of the naysayers about the CVRA switchover would look at these pictures and think for a second if Malta had been shut down rather than switching over to pavement. Love him or hate him, Bruce is keeping us racing for at least another year. Just some food for thought.

Just curious..since thie original post is over 2 years old,what does the place look like now?..and I was amazed that the ambulance was left behind.. :lol:

These pictures are absolutely heartbreaking, and I had never been to that track. I can just imagine what those who called it home must feel...

What I instantly thought was how I wish that all of the naysayers about the CVRA switchover would look at these pictures and think for a second if Malta had been shut down rather than switching over to pavement. Love him or hate him, Bruce is keeping us racing for at least another year. Just some food for thought.

Not for nothing, but why the hijack of this thread just fo further the CVRA/Albany-Saratoga agenda? No one in this thread said one word about the CVRA. One of the big reasons the CVRA gets the treatment is does on here by so many people is because the people in Bruce's corner or on the payroll use threads that have nothing to do with the CVRA as a source for browbeating people.

as far as what it looks like now? its pretty bad, The buildings really need to be torn down for a safety concern as there very rough, the stands are grown in, track is growing in more each year. the new owners of the lake and campgrounds are talking about bulldozing the place to "clean things up". Really a shame, I was litterally there since I was a little kid and it was great to get to race at a track you grew up at and to have it closed down and realize its gone forever, well it almost feels like loosing a familly member. Funny thing is, alot of my buddies that raced as well as myself complained about alot of things there, but now we would do almost anything to have it back, even the stuff we complained about lol! That old saying is so true-you dont know what you have until its gone.