I was able to sneak the camera away from the proud mama today and went for a walk around the old Ft. Covington Speedway. I was too young to see the place run but boy do I wish I did, this place looks fast with long straights and sweeping corners, but it is narrow. The turn 1 and 2 corners are banked while 3 and 4 have a huge berm around the top, must've been cool watching the cars ride that berm. The weather has done a number on the place, it's hard to believe that in less then 40 years the place would decay that much. Anyway enough jabbering, here's the link:

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w307/fa...ft%20covington/

• Like 1

Here's a couple of Gater News action shots taken at Fort Covington Speedway back when it was in operation. They're not the best though. I scanned and posted them a couple of years back on the trivia board. Pretty sure they were from 1974.

I'm also interested in seeing whatever else may be out there. Sounded like a cool place.

Here's a couple of Gater News action shots taken at Fort Covington Speedway back when it was in operation. They're not the best though. I scanned and posted them a couple of years back on the trivia board. Pretty sure they were from 1974.

I'm also interested in seeing whatever else may be out there. Sounded like a cool place.

It was 74...note the damage tot the roof on dad's (Ovide) car. The week prior, he put the car on it's lid at the start of the feature. Got it bback on its wheels, put a few quarts of oil in the pits and won the feature!

Thanks for posting...

• 11 years later...
8 hours ago, Bill Woodward said:

How do I add pictures of the cars

You can ask Outlaw Photos here for an account - or - do as I do and post them to facebook and add the links to the body of your post like this...

12032958_691862134281959_205128436639462

I went to races there in the early 60's. Awesome racing on track shaped like a paper clip with banked turns not quite as big as Lebanon Valley. . A lot of north country hero's ran there.