Toggle %s Dirt Track Digest Breaking News

Super Dirt Week is just around the corner. Do you have your tickets yet?

Support Our Sponsors

Photo

Pics of Onteora (Olive Bridge) Speedway

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bob K.

Bob K.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:46 PM

Here is some pics of what's left of Onteora Speedway in Olive Bridge, N.Y. taken winter of 2009. I believe the track last ran in 1967 or 1968. Some info out there may lead you to believe that it ran into the 70's, but that is not true. Someone tried to reopen it in the early 70's, but the powers to be voted it down.

Clicking each picture to enlarge it should reveal a brief description. I might have missed a few.

http://s461.photobuc...23/Olivebridge/

#2 john56h

john56h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Dirt and asphalt stock car racing, Vintage race car events, Antique and Muscle cars. Slot cars.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for posting. I visited that track about 20 years ago and it was in about the same condition then too.

I've heard some talk of someone planning to hold a reunion meet at the track site...not sure it will be this year though.

I also spoke to a local guy and he said the old guy who bought the track so he could close it down still owns it, but is quite old now. Some local people are hoping that when he passes on, the track might be able to be purchased and restored for vintage events and a park/fairgrounds similar to Latimore Valley Pennsylvania. Sounds like a good idea to me!

Anybody have pictures of cars racing there? A buddy of my Dad still has his 1941 Nash stock car that last ran at Onteora with Bobby Green at the wheel. It threw a rod or something and has been lying in his backyard ever since.

#3 TheDoctor27j

TheDoctor27j

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (Bob K. @ Jul 24 2009, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is some pics of what's left of Onteora Speedway in Olive Bridge, N.Y. taken winter of 2009. I believe the track last ran in 1967 or 1968. Some info out there may lead you to believe that it ran into the 70's, but that is not true. Someone tried to reopen it in the early 70's, but the powers to be voted it down.

Clicking each picture to enlarge it should reveal a brief description. I might have missed a few.

Very nice Bob. Thanks for sharing them with us.

#4 TheDoctor27j

TheDoctor27j

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (john56h @ Jul 24 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've heard some talk of someone planning to hold a reunion meet at the track site...not sure it will be this year though.

John56H, could you find more out about this meet? I actually read on usa50.com where this was talked about back in March (this year - 2009) but then never seen anything more on it. Would love to know if it is going to happen.Thanks.

#5 rockabilly57

rockabilly57

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE (Bob K. @ Jul 24 2009, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't get in to see any photos can someone tell me why and help me?

#6 Bob K.

Bob K.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:10 PM

I can't get in to see any photos can someone tell me why and help me?
[/quote]

Rockabilly57 and others, don't know what happened, but it appears that you have to have a password to view the pics. Also looks like they may have removed some captions. I'm computer challenged, so I shall seek help from the young ones. I would love to be able to post them directly on here, so you would not use photobucket, but it's beyond my abilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users