I'll try to get more info on this thing. Just heard it ran, kicked ass, and was outlawed.

Feel free to add if you already know about this contraption.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

In before Bacon Bits. :D That is a famous car in dirt Late Model racing. It is Charlie Swartz's wedge car that completely turned Late Model upside down in the early to mid 1980s. Swartz showed up with his original wedge car at the $50,000 to win Dirt Track World Championship at Pennsboro (W. Va.) Speedway and blew the field away in 1982.

The car pictured looks like the 1984 or '85 version of Swartz's creation. Eventually, the wedge cars were outlawed in Late Model racing because they were considered to be outside the spirit of the rules for the division. The Charlie Swartz wedge cars of the early to mid '80s are very much the dirt Late Model equivalent of the Batmobile at Syracuse. I know there was a big thread on the 4M Late Model site a while back that mentioned Swartz running 27-second laps without ever lifting off the throttle at the Springfield (Ill.) Mile in 1983.

In before Bacon Bits. :D That is a famous car in dirt Late Model racing. It is Charlie Swartz's wedge car that completely turned Late Model upside down in the early to mid 1980s. Swartz showed up with his original wedge car at the $50,000 to win Dirt Track World Championship at Pennsboro (W. Va.) Speedway and blew the field away in 1982.

The car pictured looks like the 1984 or '85 version of Swartz's creation. Eventually, the wedge cars were outlawed in Late Model racing because they were considered to be outside the spirit of the rules for the division. The Charlie Swartz wedge cars of the early to mid '80s are very much the dirt Late Model equivalent of the Batmobile at Syracuse. I know there was a big thread on the 4M Late Model site a while back that mentioned Swartz running 27-second laps without ever lifting off the throttle at the Springfield (Ill.) Mile in 1984.

Dammit FFTR, I was about to mention everything you just did, lol, but I do have some things to add. The people that have restored and now own the car are from around my way. This particular car was the most wild of the Swartz creations, but from what I understand, it was also plagued with some serious reliability issues. It was ridiculously fast (even faster than today's cars) when it was running properly, but that's the crux of it, it almost never ran properly. It also has to be transported to wherever it goes by open trailer because it won't fit in any enclosed trailers.

Zero,

No roof. many of the wedge cars had no roof or a tiny little piece of sheet metal masquerading as a roof, and it had a mid engine. The early eighties had some really wild configurations going on. Another particularly wild car was Jerry Inmon's 4wd Corvette late model.

I am not exactly sure how to post links on here, but there is a clip on YouTube of Swartz at the Springfield Mile in 1983, with a precursor to this car. Just type "Charlie Swartz" into the search function on YouTube and it will come up. Just using a very rough estimate with the timer on the YouTube clip, it looks as though Swartz was running a legit 28-seconds (perhaps even down into the 27's) around a mile in 1983.

One other interesting aspect of this car is that Swartz used a ladder to climb in and out of the car.