Toggle %s Dirt Track Digest Breaking News

Super Dirt Week is just around the corner. Do you have your tickets yet?

Support Our Sponsors

Photo

The defunct racetracks thread

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BobMiller

BobMiller

Nobody Important

• Administrators
  • 8,717 posts
  • Interests:Media member since 1984... TV camera operator for motorsports broadcasts. Cover weekly racing at Canandaigua, and Rolling Wheels as owner of NUMBER NINE MEDIA (formerly Half Fast Video).

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

First off, I want to let everyone know that the interest in the skeleton speedways has never died. It's just that I work on it when I have time - or when new information comes in. Sometimes it's daily, and sometimes months go by between entries.

It was brought to my attention about Christmas time that the links in the old thread are broken. I have no clue what happened there. I never changed a thing. This is the reason I am scrapping the old thread and starting a new one. It's easier to start over than it is to fix all the errors.

For you people out there who like to use the satellite imagery programs to find the tracks, listen up. Terreserver is now dead. It was bought by Bing (the better of the programs) and incorporated into Bing's system. Bing has made some major improvements in quality since we last talked. They've also taken away a few viewing options (such as the 3D maps and the older black and white terreserver images for reference).

I know we have eclipsed the 100 tracks mark on the old thead, but not sure by how much. Right now the count is 134 and that doesn't include any road courses, any tracks from Long Island and no early 1900's car vs. horse speed contests.

The new thread is going to be locked down for tidyness purposes. It took nearly 3 hours to read through all the entries and corrections on 21 pages in the old thread. I'm just trying to keep the new thread somewhat organized and to use as a reference/educational utility. There will be a 2nd thread for discussion and linked both ways.

Data entry will be the biggest hassle because everything needs to be hand typed and links need to be re-established. Be patient, this is going to take a little time.

#2 Greg

Greg

The Flyin' Wee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

While scoping out the new thread, I came upon one small suggestion.

Some of the tracks I can't tell what city/town they were in. If possible, could that be added? Just tossing it out there, if its even feasible.

Heres hoping theres photographic evidence of the 2nd Waterloo track that was apparently near completion before being abandoned! I'm from Waterloo, and I'm dying to see where this track was or what it may have looked like!

Greg Netherwood
"The Wee One"

#3 BobMiller

BobMiller

Nobody Important

• Administrators
  • 8,717 posts
  • Interests:Media member since 1984... TV camera operator for motorsports broadcasts. Cover weekly racing at Canandaigua, and Rolling Wheels as owner of NUMBER NINE MEDIA (formerly Half Fast Video).

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

Greg...

Be advised that I've got roughly 30 hours invested in that thread right now, and that's just since Sunday. It's required using 4 and 5 browsers at times, and sorting through several sources to clean up some of the errors. I knew there were wrong aerial pictures applied to some of the tracks, but I also had to go with available information at the time.

Danny Ody and I have been on the phone atleast 10 times throughout the updating process. Danny has been virtually priceless in value helping me find some of the older tracks out in the Albany area. The plan right now is to get the images right first. As soon as he gets a chance to preview the new photos and approves them, I'll get to work on including the text that should accompany each entry. Once the new images are verified, I'll unlock the thread. I anticipate that to be as soon as Thursday.

And that's where you guys come in. I need to know what everyone wants to be included in the text portion. There are a few people out there I need to talk to about certain areas. Jay Mooney... you out there bud? Between here and RaceNY, you've added a bunch of tracks from the Binghamton area. Are you still in Binghamton or have ties to it? And Chris Akulis and Spudman... if you guys are reading this and are interested in helping, I'd surely appreciate some from the Binghamton area. I've got about a half dozen tracks from your neck of the woods that aren't listed yet.

Who here lives in Rochester that wants to do a little research? I know of 3 tracks (not including the Monroe County Fairgrounds) that I could use a little help with. Contact me if you are interested.

Oh, and Greg...

You wanted to see the other Waterloo Speedway that never completed?

http://i108.photobuc...oUnfinished.jpg

Notice the Thruway to the left side of the track. That's the Waterloo off ramp at exit 41 to the left, and Route 318 on the right. The track was about 3/4 of a mile from the Magee intersection of 318 and 414. I was at the Outlet Mall this past weekend... bad news. The area where the track sat has been completely excavated and more than likely no longer exists.

#4 leroy

leroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:07 AM

Greg...

Be advised that I've got roughly 30 hours invested in that thread right now, and that's just since Sunday. It's required using 4 and 5 browsers at times, and sorting through several sources to clean up some of the errors. I knew there were wrong aerial pictures applied to some of the tracks, but I also had to go with available information at the time.

Danny Ody and I have been on the phone atleast 10 times throughout the updating process. Danny has been virtually priceless in value helping me find some of the older tracks out in the Albany area. The plan right now is to get the images right first. As soon as he gets a chance to preview the new photos and approves them, I'll get to work on including the text that should accompany each entry. Once the new images are verified, I'll unlock the thread. I anticipate that to be as soon as Thursday.

And that's where you guys come in. I need to know what everyone wants to be included in the text portion. There are a few people out there I need to talk to about certain areas. Jay Mooney... you out there bud? Between here and RaceNY, you've added a bunch of tracks from the Binghamton area. Are you still in Binghamton or have ties to it? And Chris Akulis and Spudman... if you guys are reading this and are interested in helping, I'd surely appreciate some from the Binghamton area. I've got about a half dozen tracks from your neck of the woods that aren't listed yet.

Who here lives in Rochester that wants to do a little research? I know of 3 tracks (not including the Monroe County Fairgrounds) that I could use a little help with. Contact me if you are interested.

Oh, and Greg...

You wanted to see the other Waterloo Speedway that never completed?

http://i108.photobuc...oUnfinished.jpg

Notice the Thruway to the left side of the track. That's the Waterloo off ramp at exit 41 to the left, and Route 318 on the right. The track was about 3/4 of a mile from the Magee intersection of 318 and 414. I was at the Outlet Mall this past weekend... bad news. The area where the track sat has been completely excavated and more than likely no longer exists.

Bob, I have been looking at this picture trying to figure it out. Keep in mind I am severely mentally challenged. But, are 318 and 414 labeled backwards? Or did the thruway ramp used to be somwhere else? Another part of 318 added on later? Also, how old is this picture?

#5 BobMiller

BobMiller

Nobody Important

• Administrators
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

leroy...

Purely by coincidence, I know the satellite flew over this area the week of April 6th, 2006. How do I know? My brother parked his Harley on my moms front lawn on April 6th, 2006 for me to take a picture of. http://i108.photobuc...i/Harley002.jpg That was the only time the bike sat there. Satellite images show the bike sitting on the front lawn. http://i108.photobuc...ImageDating.jpg

318 starts at the Geneva exit and runs parallel to the Thruway past the Waterloo exit (414 intersection) and ends at Routes 5 & 20 in the town of Tyre - which most people refer to as Montezuma. The satellite image I picked was looking east. Route 318 is to the right of the track, splitting the picture in half top to bottom. The Thruway is to the left of the track. Route 414 isn't in the shot. It runs parallel to the top of the picture and was cropped out to give a better view of the track.

#6 leroy

leroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Bob. The picture is actually just a little west of what I thought I was looking at. I took a ride to Bass Pro today and decided come back to Geneva that way. Any idea who was building that track and why it was never completed?

#7 BobMiller

BobMiller

Nobody Important

• Administrators
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

Yup... Dominic Tantalo - former promoter of Canandaigua Speedway. Dominic died of a heart attack while building the track. I've heard that the track was supposed to be modelled after Rolling Wheels but I'm not so sure about that. The infield looks much more narrow in this shot than what Rolling Wheels is. I remember the talk about the track when it was still current news. I know the town gave Dominic fits. I'll have to ask Glenn about this when I see him again, but memory tells me that Dominic and Glenn didn't exchange Christmas cards, and that the track was purposely built to compete head to head with Rolling Wheels. I also remember talk about a car or two taking a few laps on the track. I'd guess that if that were true, they'd have been from Waterloo where Dominic was from.

#8 Greg

Greg

The Flyin' Wee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:06 AM

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be demanding or a "DO IT NOW!" type thing, it was more of a suggestion for the future. Nothing needed now, I assure you. I really do love looking at the pictures and such.

Just some day I'd like to know where some of these were. I'm only 29, so I'm sure the vast majority of those were long gone by the time i was born. being a history buff and a racer really gets me interested in this stuff.

So, I dont really care when or honestly even IF you add the towns where they are. Just was a suggestion, really, for a future time if it was even feasible.

Greg Netherwood
"The Wee One"

#9 Greg

Greg

The Flyin' Wee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:08 AM

Oh, and by the way, HUGE thank you for the picture!!!

I'm going to show my family this weekend, they still don't believe me that there was a 2nd waterloo track, and they lived there since '75, so I have no idea how they missed that one! But being that I'm the first racer in our family, they probably just ignored it back in the day and never really cared.

Greg Netherwood
"The Wee One"

#10 OldTimeRacer

OldTimeRacer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:36 AM

Bob,
That track was not built by Domenic Tantallo. Domenic never got started on his proposed track, at least that is what I have been told. Not quite sure who did carve that out but also have been told that it was used as a "test" track by some of the Waterloo racers. I know Kappeser was one of them but can't get any info from him. Best bet may be Bob Meyers, who just lives down the road on Burgess road, or Randy Scott. I would also say Scott Stakus, but as far as I know, he is out west somewhere now.
I do believe Gary Palone looked at that site when there was so much controversy at Paradise

#11 johnqpublic

johnqpublic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:41 AM

Your view of the old Olean Speedway is wrong. What you are looking at is Bradner stadium which is used for school sporting events, etc.

I'm told that the race track was somewhere in the vicinity of the "clover leaf" for the west-bound lane of I-86 at exit 26. I've looked at the ariel imagery many times and I'll be damned if I can see the shape of a track there, but I've been told by several "old timers" from the area that is where the track was.

http://oleancomputer...ean_raceway.htm

#12 BobMiller

BobMiller

Nobody Important

• Administrators
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:40 AM

Chuck...

I would have been a young teenager when that track was carved out, but I do remember hearing it was Tantalo who did the work. Mel Thomas always referred to it as "Dominics track," which supported what I was told. I was also told that one of the drivers that took a few laps on the track was Bobby Lutz. I don't know Randy Scott or Bob Meyers, so I'm out of the loop there. And Kappesser, Tantalo and Lutz are all dead now - so that leaves just the names you mentioned that might solve the mystery.
Do you know these guys well enough to pump for info?

#13 BobMiller

BobMiller

Nobody Important

• Administrators
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:42 PM

Your view of the old Olean Speedway is wrong. What you are looking at is Bradner stadium which is used for school sporting events, etc.

You are correct. I missed that one in the corrections process, thank you for pointing it out. Look again.

#14 Jay Mooney

Jay Mooney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Location:At home, staring at the ceiling...trying to come up with a trivia question relating to Herb Harvey Speedway
  • Interests:Booing Will Cagle

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:08 PM

Bob, Below is a list of tracks in Broome and Tioga Counties that I had on that RaceNY thread. I added a link to the BingMap birds eye view for each.

I hope you don’t mind but I also added some random tracks in Chenango, Cortland and Delaware, Otsego and Schoharie Counties.

BROOME COUNTY
BENNETT AIRPORT, Upper Front St., Binghamton (1935)
: http://www.bing.com/...=binghamton, ny
The airport was located in the area of Interstate 81’s ext 5, between Front Street and the Chenango River. The interstate was built over the old airfield. Some of Broome County’s first organized “stock car” events occurred on this property in 1935 which were put on by the Johnson City Racing Committee. These events were called “hobo races”. A 1935 press release said “any old car is qualified to enter. All cars are to have mufflers and have glass removed from both headlights and windshields." And ad for the race said: Welcome the entire Southern Tier to witness 150 laps, 75 miles of automobile racing at Bennett Airport Saturday afternoon, Sept. 28. Most thrilling, outstanding and longest ever held in Broome County. The entire Southern Tier is invited to witness races. Children free. Free parking. Admission only 25 cents. I haven’t been able to ascertain whether there was an actual oval constructed around the grass airstrip or some type of course set up on the grass itself. This is also the same property were James E. Strates (of the James E. Strates’s Carnival Shows) first planned to build a horse track but could not get the town’s blessing to operate past sundown. He quickly changed gears and announced plans to build a half mile paved speedway for automobile racing. Not long after, the land was acquired for the interstate and that was the end of the speedway plans.
[attachment=4480:Bennett\'s Airport Binghamton NY.jpg]

BROOME COUNTY FAIR, Whitney Point (1927, 1937-8): http://www.bing.com/...itney point, ny
I have the results of big car races which were held at the Broome County Fair in 1937 and 1938. Lee Wallard of Schenectady, who would go on to win the 1951 Indianapolis 500, won both shows. There were auto racing shows advertised in 1927 however I haven’t been able to locate those results.
[attachment=4481:Broome County Fairgrounds Whitney Point NY.jpg]

DEPOSIT FAIR, Deposit (1936): http://www.bing.com/...et, deposit, ny
The fairgrounds in Deposit was located on Main Street on the edge of town. The Johnson City Racing Committee, which also conducted the auto racing events at Bennett Airport and Morris Farm in Binghamton, staged an auto racing program on the last day of the Deposit Fair on August 8, 1936 on the fairgrounds’ one-third mile track. I’m still searching for results of that auto racing program.
[attachment=4482:Deposit Fair Deposit NY.jpg]

GLEN AUBREY RACEWAY, Glen Aubrey (1950-67): http://www.bing.com/...glen aubrey, ny
(Bob this should be the link to the track’s location) This third-mile dirt track, mostly known for running 50’s era modified stockers and low-buck, full-bodied divisions during its 17 year history under numerous promoters and sanctioning bodies. It was the place to be on Friday nights in the Southern Tier in the 1950’s but fizzled as the 1960’s drew to a close. The last known modified race here was won by Dave Kneisel in 1966 when new promoters brought the modifieds in to help boost sagging attendance but could only muster a small handful of cars. The URC sprint cars ran here in ’63 and ’64 which were won by Jim Maguire and Red Riegel respectively. A mobile home park sits today on the former raceway property. I’ve been told portions of the track’s frontstretch wall still exist today within the park.
[attachment=4483:Glen Aubrey Raceway Glen Aubrey NY.jpg]

KIRKWOOD SPEEDWAY, Kirkwood (1938-41): http://www.bing.com/...me Co., NY&q=-1
This was a half mile dirt track promoted by Owen Heath, the brother of future 5 Mile Point Speedway founder Irv Heath. Big car (sprint car) racing was the featured attraction however jalopy races were held here as early as 1939. The track drew great crowds (a Binghamton Press story reported that 3,000 people saw Al Newton of Syracuse win a 30 lapper at Kirkwood on May 14, 1939). Portions of the track were located roughly where the Kirkwood Town Park sits today. Also, portions were buried under by the highway that connects Route 11 with Route 7 on the east side of the Susquehanna River. Doubtful any remnants of this old track exist today.
[attachment=4484:Kirkwood Speedway Kirkwood NY.jpg]

MORRIS FARM (1936), Upper Conklin Ave., Binghamton (1936):
The track was supposed to be a mile and a half long, consisting of eight curves and patterned after the Roosevelt Raceway. It looks like at least three races were scheduled in July and October of 1936. I can only find results of just one event taking place, a 45 lap race conducted on Sunday, October 4, 1936 which reportedly took place on a half mile track. The race was put on by the Johnson City Racing Committee and won by Clarence Schaffer of Binghamton. By 1937 the Morris Farm land was sold off for the new Morris Heights subdivision. Not sure of the exact location. Advertising for the races have it on “Upper Conklin Road”, three miles from the Binghamton city line. I’m guessing it was east of the city. Perhaps directly across the street from where Susquehanna Valley High School sits today.

STOW PARK SPEEDWAY (aka STOW FLATS), Binghamton (1912-28): http://www.bing.com/...q=binghamton ny
(Bob, your image is correct – I’ve added the Bingmap link) As far as organized automobile and motorcycle events go, this is where it all began in Broome County. Auto races were held once a year during the annual Binghamton Industrial Exposition (aka the Binghamton Fair). Some of the early events held in the teens were nothing more than speed exhibitions but the later races, held in the twenties, were full blown race programs with heats, match races and mains for the “big cars”. The championship event at the fair was known as the “Susquehanna Sweepstakes” and pulled crowds of 5,000 people. The expo and racing ended after the 1928 fair. The fairgrounds was later acquired by the city of Binghamton in the 1930’s and used as the city dump. The Binghamton Plaza shopping center was built over the old fairgrounds and city dump in the 1950’s.
[attachment=4485:Stow Park Speedway Binghamton NY.jpg]

TWIN VALLEY SPEEDWAY, Chenango Forks (1970-72): http://www.bing.com/...nango forks, ny
(Bob, your image is correct – I’ve added the Bingmap link) This banked ½ mile dirt track opened for two Sunday afternoon races in the fall of 1970, ran a full season of Sunday afternoon shows in 1971, installed lights and held weekly Friday night shows for the 1972 season before the track’s owner locked the gates for good in July over a lease dispute with the promoters. It has remained shut ever since. Will Cagle won a Schaefer Qualifier and Harry Peek won a Memorial Day 100 lapper here during the 1972 season. While mother nature has taken back much of the property, portions of the track, grandstand and guardrails are still visible today.
[attachment=4486:Twin Valley Speedway Chenango Forks NY.jpg]

TIOGA COUNTY
SHANGRI-LA SPEEDWAY, Owego (1946-2005)
: http://www.bing.com/... NY&q=owego, ny
(Bob, your image is correct – I’ve added the Bingmap link) The ½ mile paved oval opened for big car racing on Sunday, July 28th 1946. That first race was won by George Bouley of Waterbury, CT. The inner ¼ oval was constructed in 1955 and jalopy races were planned for it that year by the "Shangri-la Jalopy Club", however I’m still trying to find the results of those races. The much smaller microd track, located inside the ¼ mile, was constructed in the late 70’s. The track’s founder, Bill Owen, first had plans to build his new speedway in Apalachin NY on 21 acres south of Route 17 (now called Interstate 86). It was to be called “Apalachin Speedway”. However, when the necessary land couldn’t be acquired, Owen bought the Owego Country Club golf course instead and turned that land into Shangri-la Speedway.
[attachment=4487:Shangri-la Speedway Owego NY.jpg]

TIOGA COUNTY FAIR, Owego (1937): http://www.bing.com/... NY&q=owego, ny
The lone evidence I could find of an auto race here happened during the 1937 Tioga County Fair. The race, which was a “big car” or what we would call today a “sprint car” race, was promoted by a George Kinum. It was an “outlaw” event not sanctioned by the American Automobile Association. The show was won by Eddie Cox of Rochester. Lee Wallard of Schenectady, who would later go on to win the 1951 Indianapolis 500, also competed in the Tioga Co. Fair race that day. Wallard crashed through a fence with another car and wound up in a concession stand.
[attachment=4488:Tioga County Fairgrounds Owego NY.jpg]

TRIPLE-CITIES SPEEDWAY, Campville (1937-38): http://www.bing.com/...q=campville, ny\
(Bob, the image you have is incorrect. This should be the link to the track’s location) Near as I can tell, this track, sometimes known as Campville Speedway, was open for just a couple of seasons for bi-monthly sprint car events, before racing in the Southern Tier moved to Kirkwood Speedway. Triple-Cities Speedway was built somewhere between the railroad tracks and the river just outside of Campville off of what is today Route 17c between Owego and Endicott. The track was built on land eased by two area race drivers, Harry Sents and Charley Knarr, who also raced at their new track. Looking at the map, I’d say some remains look promising at the intersection of Kinney and N. Kinney Roads. It’s also possible there’s no trace at all and it’s all just farm land now.
[attachment=4489:Triple Cities Speedway Campville NY.jpg]

CHENANGO COUNTY
AFTON FAIRGROUNDS (the original ½ mile fairgrounds track), Afton (1933-41, 1946-48, 1950?)
: http://www.bing.com/..., NY&q=afton ny
Long before the inner quarter mile dirt track was built in 1990, Afton’s original ½ mile horse track was a hot bed of auto racing during the “big car” barnstorming days of the ‘30’s and ‘40’s. The tracks first winner was supposedly Bob Sall. Stock car racing was advertised in the Binghamton Press for Sunday, September 3, 1950. The Mohawk Racing Association was to conduct a 50 lap championship classic starting 27 cars. However, I have had no luck finding the results.
[attachment=4490:Afton Fairgrounds Afton NY.jpg]

CHENANGO COUNTY FAIRGROUNDS, Norwich (1935, 1950?): http://www.bing.com/...Y&q=norwich, ny
The one known big car event at the Norwich fairgrounds was held on August 25, 1935. The winner was Stan O’Bryan of Waterloo driving the Finger Lakes Special in a program presented by Simmons Speedway and brought to Norwich by the efforts of Gene Stewart who was a local Norwich racer. About ten cars were on hand to put on a show. Stock car racing, conducted by the Mohawk Racing Association of Utica, was to be held at the Norwich Fairgrounds in September and October of 1950. However, I have had no luck locating results for those races.
[attachment=4491:Chenango County Fairgrounds Norwich NY.jpg]

CORTLAND COUNTY
CORTLAND FAIRGROUNDS SPEEDWAY, Cortland (1932-41, 1949?-1953)
: http://www.bing.com/...ue, cortland ny
Based on old US Geological Survey maps of the region, the fairgrounds was north of Cortland and south of Homer between Fisher Ave and Bell Drive. Early big car and midget events were held at the Cortland Fairgrounds before WWII. Evidence of the earliest stock car races I could find were held on Sunday afternoons here in 1950, although Syracuse’s Billy Blum reportedly raced at Cortland in 1949. Later stock car events in 1953 were promoted by Al Richardson who also promoted Shangri-la Speedway at the time. One of the last races at the fairgrounds, before it was torn down, was a URC sprint car event held on July 4, 1953 won by Steve Yannigan.
[attachment=4498:Cortland Fairgrounds Cortland NY.jpg]

DELAWARE COUNTY
SIDNEY SPEEDWAY, Sidney (1946?-1953)
: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r1hn2r8qg729&lvl=16&dir=0&sty=b&where1=101%20Oneil%20Rd%2C%20Sidney%2C%20NY%2013838-1055&q=101%20O'Neil%20Road%2C%20Sidney%2C%20NY
The track, also known as the Sidney Speedrome, was located next door to what would become the Sidney Municipal Airport and where Mead Office Products is now. Sidney was a ½ mile banked dirt track built in a natural bowl with the spectator bleachers on a knoll overlooking the track. Sidney was open from roughly 1946-’53. Big Cars (sprint cars) were the main attraction in its early years. URC had two sprint shows there in ’48. Ottis Stine won both. Stock Cars were tried in 1953 and then it closed.
[attachment=4493:Sidney Speedway Sidney NY.jpg]

OTSEGO COUNTY
WEBB ISLAND SPEEDWAY, Oneonta (1949?-50?)
: http://www.bing.com/...yp.Catella Park
The Webb Island track, a ½ mile dirt oval, was located in the vicinity of what is known today as Neahwa and Catella Parks in Oneonta. Webb Island Speedway last scheduled a series of stock car events in the fall of 1950. Still looking for results from those races.
[attachment=4494:Webb Island Oneonta NY.jpg]

SCHOHARIE COUNTY
SKY-HIGH SPEEDWAY, (Schenevus) West Richmondville (1953 – 54?)
: http://www.bing.com/...ichmondville ny
I may have found this elusive track. I found a small news story about Sky-High Speedway. This is from the Schenectady Gazette . The month and day were cut off, but it's from 1953: RICHMONDVILLE The Sky High speedway, a new quarter-mile stock car track on the farm of William J. Winegard at West Rlchmondville, opened Sunday with an attendance of nearly 1,500 persons. Based on that story, I'm guessing Sky-High Speedway was not in Schenevus, as a number of reference books have it, but actually in West Richmondville. A couple of other news stories I found have the track located at Route 7. I looked up a map for West Richmondville and there IS a Winegard Road that hooks up with Route 7 in the vicinity.
[attachment=4495:Sky-High Speedway, West Richmondville NY.jpg]

#15 BobMiller

BobMiller

Nobody Important

• Administrators
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

Jay Mooney...

THANK YOU! I was hoping you'd chime in here at some point because I knew you were originally from the Binghamton area and it's been a hot spot lately. I've only got a minute to spend here today... it's my girlfiends Birthday and if I stay here longer, I'll be here all day. I'll be back later with a more detailed response. Again, THANK YOU!

#16 BobMiller

BobMiller

Nobody Important

• Administrators
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:57 AM

Hey Jay...

You might find this interesting. Below is a topographical map of Cortland from 1901.

Posted Image

You can see the Cortland Fairgrounds Oval here and how it was laid out. Look at the tree line just above Fisher.

Posted Image

The track itself is gone, but the southern set of turns can be made out with the tree line. I just wonder what that other oval is in the topo map. I scanned the satellite and not only is the track gone, but so are the RR tracks and the roads near that track.

#17 Jay Mooney

Jay Mooney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Location:At home, staring at the ceiling...trying to come up with a trivia question relating to Herb Harvey Speedway
  • Interests:Booing Will Cagle

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

Re: Cortland Fairgrounds I went back and forth on the exact location of this one, Bob. It might need tweaking. I was basing the location of the race track on an old street map of Cortland that I found online that showed the outline of the race track in the location of my link. The frontstretch of the track was north, and parallel to, Fisher Avenue. And wouldn’t you know it, I can’t find that map now!

However…if I match up your 1901 USGS map with a modern Bingmap aerial view, the track, surrounding streets, even the location of the RR tracks match up better with the frontstretch of the track a block south…north, and parallel to, Wheeler Avenue here: http://www.bing.com/...ue, cortland ny
[attachment=4502:Cortland Fairgrounds New Possiblity.jpg]
What do you think?

#18 Bob K.

Bob K.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

Here is some info on a track not currently on your revised list. I have known about it for a while and mentioned it by name only in the past. I spent some time at the Peekskill NY library reading old newspapers yesterday and here is what I found out.

PEEKSKILL STADIUM---A 1/5 mile paved track costing $30,000 to construct inside the old Peekskill Stadium ball park by Victory Speedway Association, Inc. and promoted by Enno Van Dam. (The same group was running Orange County Fairgrounds at the time) Racing Friday nites starting May 4, 1951 and continuing till Sept 27, 1957, at which time the property was sold for development, As far as I know, only stock cars ran there, even though Van Dam and company promoted midgets at Middletown's small 1/5 mile track and stocks on the bigger track in the same time period. While none of the news adds or articles mentioned an address, ( I guess everyone knew the location of the stadium.) It was located at the end of Welcher Ave., now the site of a McDonalds and an A+P store (20 Welcher Ave.). Nothing remains of the track.

Bob Miller, edit this as necessary and provide site images if you want. That map stuff is beyond me.

I can snail mail anyone interested copies of the news articles and ads.

#19 catstad

catstad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

I operate the Catamount website, which I am sure many of you have visited. I am trying - just like you - to preserve as much history of early stock car racing as I can. I have the problem, however of covering a large area which includes the eastern part of New York. I simply can't get into stuff way over by Watertown or locations out near Buffalo [just like I can't handle much in southern New England]. ANy photos on my site are there for the public. Occasionally, I have seen photos taken by my old Kodak Brownie box camera for sale in various locations. That doesn't delight me, but I can live with it.
My recent work involves the following tracks in your area: Airborne, Ashland Park, Burden Lake,Canton, Champlain, Fort COvington, Moffitt Park, Pine Bowl, Saranac Lake, Schuylerville, Trout Lake, WHites Beach, Mettowee, and other tracks whose drivers may have participated in Vermont. If I can help anyone, please do not hesitate to contact me at wladabou@comcast.net. If you haven't run across my site it is www.catamountstadium.com .
I have tried to participate here before but - being somewhat stupid - I always screwed up my password. Try try again.
Bill

#20 BobMiller

BobMiller

Nobody Important

• Administrators
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:48 AM

Bill...

Your website is one of my favorite reference sites when trying to find info on tracks in the Adirondack region of NY. Some of the pictures of active racing that you've put up on your website have helped me establish the exact location of a few tracks that didn't have very good location info.

Everyone reading this... if you haven't been to the Catamount Stadium website, please do. It's well worth the trip...

http://www.catamountstadium.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users