Toggle %s Dirt Track Digest Breaking News

Super Dirt Week is just around the corner. Do you have your tickets yet?

Support Our Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

Vintage Race Car _Barn Find_ For Sale

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Custom Bob

Custom Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts
  • Interests:NHRA, Whelen Modifieds, Rat rods & Hot Rods, Custom Car Shows

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

Thought maybe some of you would like to check this one out.
It's always nice to see some of the old race cars still out there.
Check out this old vintage race car from the South. And you could own this one!

Click here>>
http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2560eee428

"There's nothing better than the smell of Nitro in the morning and 10,000 hp rattling your head".

In Life, it's called an Opinion. On a Race Forum, it's called Bashing?

Custom Bob "If you don't know me by now. You will never never know me".

Now I know why I have become a big fan of the NHRA. Wayyyy to much drama and BS in local dirt racing!

#2 BobMiller

BobMiller

Nobody Important

• Administrators
  • 8,716 posts
  • Interests:Media member since 1984... TV camera operator for motorsports broadcasts. Cover weekly racing at Canandaigua, and Rolling Wheels as owner of NUMBER NINE MEDIA (formerly Half Fast Video).

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:52 AM

I wish the current owner hadn't started the restoration process. I think it would have sold for more. And the "removable graphics" portion makes me want to cry. It's like finding a Rembrandt in an attic and having a kid with a crayon touch it up. It's just wrong on all levels. Custom Bob, tell me a vinyl guy could do this car any justice... http://i12.photobuck...0_7333695_n.jpg

#3 grays vintage

grays vintage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:36 AM

Thought maybe some of you would like to check this one out.
It's always nice to see some of the old race cars still out there.
Check out this old vintage race car from the South. And you could own this one!

Click here>>
http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2560eee428

#4 grays vintage

grays vintage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

nice car custom id love to have that !!!!
i was wondering mr miller on what levels is this car all wrong on
im new to this forum posting that is
i do more reading than running my mouth i notice you always have alot to say so i would like to know where this car is wrong
im sure you must of restored alot of these and restoring and building back in the day is not the same

#5 Custom Bob

Custom Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

Bob your absolutely RIGHT! A vinyl guy could never reproduce the old true paint schemes to look authentic.
BUT don't forget...I'm from the Old School and still hand paint and pinstripe as well as the new technology of lick and stick.
I've done well over a thousand cars in the past with a paint brush and airbrush.
I still hand letter a few vintage race cars today. Last season I did some hand painted numbers and things on a couple new cars.
Paint just has that look that vinyl doesn't offer.

Welcome to DTD, Gray's Vintage. If this is who I think it is, you should post a couple pictures of your car.
Gray, Bob comes from the Old School. He appreciates the Vintage race cars and past Drivers and Speedways.

"There's nothing better than the smell of Nitro in the morning and 10,000 hp rattling your head".

Now I know why I have become a big fan of the NHRA. Wayyyy to much drama and BS in local dirt racing!

#6 BobMiller

BobMiller

Nobody Important

• Administrators
  • 8,716 posts
  • Interests:Media member since 1984... TV camera operator for motorsports broadcasts. Cover weekly racing at Canandaigua, and Rolling Wheels as owner of NUMBER NINE MEDIA (formerly Half Fast Video).

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

grays vintage...

At risk of running my mouth on the forum, I'll try to explain. Graphics on cars in that era were hand painted, not vinyl. The craftsmanship it took to make steel bodied cars made them as much of a piece of art as they were a racecar. They also became a rolling canvas for sign painters. Sign painters in those days never really got to showcase their talents unless they got involved with racing, and the link I attached in my first reply was a perfect example. That whole car was beautifully hand painted and a masterpiece from an art point of view.

I've seen midgets and old sprint car restoration projects where goldleaf lettering was used, and the cars are absolute works of art. And I've seen a few restoration projects where guys used vinyl graphics that lacked that exclamation point.

#7 john56h

john56h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Dirt and asphalt stock car racing, Vintage race car events, Antique and Muscle cars. Slot cars.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

I've even seen a few "vintage" cars done with vinyl wraps. It just doesn't look right unless the lettering is done period correct. And even if a good vinyl guy gets the style right, when inspected up close, the gig is up.

Vinyl is great for it's ability to be replicated time and again...to replace crash damage on panels that were too big to begin with. A vintage car usually has an appropriately sized body and nerf bars to protect it, so it's worth going the extra mile to get them hand lettered since they hopefully won't be getting redone every season.

I hand paint all my own race cars...once in a while supplemented with a little vinyl, but not much. I figure that if I can paint it, then I can touch it up too!

#8 grays vintage

grays vintage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:04 PM

very true but other than vinyl this car is right on the money
custom ive got a few cars i need you to look at lettering wise 68 al bucky peek
and k71 bill kolar im trying to finish the k71 so you can letter both at the same time
yes you probably remember the 74 gremlin still got it its just my racer (not really vintage)
tried to post build pics but it was a complete disaster lol im lucky just to be posting here
when these 2 cars are restored there are 2 more waiting thanks

#9 jolly823

jolly823

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

very true but other than vinyl this car is right on the money
custom ive got a few cars i need you to look at lettering wise 68 al bucky peek
and k71 bill kolar im trying to finish the k71 so you can letter both at the same time
yes you probably remember the 74 gremlin still got it its just my racer (not really vintage)
tried to post build pics but it was a complete disaster lol im lucky just to be posting here
when these 2 cars are restored there are 2 more waiting thanks

Here's a couple.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix

Racing enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:18 PM

The 3 cars in my signature pic are hand lettered(other than a few sticklers provided by series sponsors), and for a vintage race car I believe it lends an air of authenticity that vinyl just can't come close too. The challenge with hand lettering is finding an artist to do it, luckily in my neck of the woods we still have a gentleman that does just hand lettering(he is semi-retired). Here are a few pics of him in action.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

At Your Service

Yvan Lacroix

sept192010096-2.jpgb5844f57-1-3.jpg3f9f63f6-1-1.jpg

#11 Custom Bob

Custom Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:46 AM

Always good to see pics of other Old School Sign Painters. Thanks, Yvan

Here's an old vintage race car for sale on Ebay. This one took some True Grit or better yet BIG STONES to drive.
Neat old car though.
Check it out>>
http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item19c2e426a5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users