Sign in to follow this  

I'm staying out of this one :whistle: I have followed Billys career since his rookie days at Flemington and I am damned happy that I have had the chance to watch him all of these years...to work alongside of him doing press work for him...published a monthly newsletter on him for a few years and compiled his career win stats and keep them current. I don't need to have anyone inform me of what he has done and of his accomplishments. I am just happy to have had the chance to watch him develope into one of the greatest all around talented drivers in the Northeast. And as I mentioned in another thread about a week or so ago...I would happily email the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet file containing his up to date career win list to anyone for the price of emailing me. It will open some eyes as to the versatility he has demonstrated over his career. Anyone interested can contact me at fredjv1@embarqmail.com and I will send it right off.

I'm staying out of this one :whistle: I have followed Billys career since his rookie days at Flemington and I am damned happy that I have had the chance to watch him all of these years...to work alongside of him doing press work for him...published a monthly newsletter on him for a few years and compiled his career win stats and keep them current. I don't need to have anyone inform me of what he has done and of his accomplishments. I am just happy to have had the chance to watch him develope into one of the greatest all around talented drivers in the Northeast. And as I mentioned in another thread about a week or so ago...I would happily email the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet file containing his up to date career win list to anyone for the price of emailing me. It will open some eyes as to the versatility he has demonstrated over his career. Anyone interested can contact me at fredjv1@embarqmail.com and I will send it right off.

Howie, Im a Pauch fan because of his versatility. Midgets, winged sprints, non wing sprints, mods on dirt, mods on pavement, etc... Full respect for what that man has accomplished so feel free to send the career stats my way if you like as I would love to just go over the list of wins to see the ones that Ive forgotten. :thumbup:

Howie, Im a Pauch fan because of his versatility. Midgets, winged sprints, non wing sprints, mods on dirt, mods on pavement, etc... Full respect for what that man has accomplished so feel free to send the career stats my way if you like as I would love to just go over the list of wins to see the ones that Ive forgotten. :thumbup:

jumper....I tried to email you at the address in your message but to no avail...could you give me the exact address to email you at or simply email me and I will return your request with the list.

All i got to say is == Anyone who thinks/says PAUCHY cant wheel a race car .GO BUY THE VIDEO OF HIS SYRACUSE WOO SPRINT CAR WIN ...TOTAL DOMINATION :unworthy:

jumper....I tried to email you at the address in your message but to no avail...could you give me the exact address to email you at or simply email me and I will return your request with the list.

thx howie, its dickdragonmotorsports@yahoo.com

Old Guys Rule!! He wrote the book on winning The Victoria. Might have wrote the book on trying to knock down the turn 2 wall at Syracuse. Any race with Pauch..you have your eyes on him because..... :whip:

I know this is an old thread but I have followed Billy Pauch since his first race at Flemington (Modified Country USA, the Famous square, and the Fastest 5/8th mile track in the Usa ) when it was open. Man I miss Flemington.

At any rate it was 1994 when Billy Pauch ran the Zemco #1 Sprint Car at 144 plus miles per hour for the World Record and the track record At The Moody Mile and it still stands today.  Billy I know for a fact didn't like Syracuse in fact he hated it.  He also won in every type of car he has ever driven.  Late Model, Sportsman, 358 Modified, BB Modified, Asphalt Modified and he won the ROC In that.  In Midgets USAC Sprint Car 410 Winged Sprint Car WOO and All Stars wins URC wins USAC wins He also is the SpeedStrs action track Champion He as won the Atlantic City Gamblers Classic race in a TQ Midget. NASCAR Truck Series he didn't win but he ran it hard and did very well.

He would probably have been very close to if not overtaken t Hearn in Modified Wins if he hadn't taken up driving the Sprint Car for Pee Wee Zematis.  I have seen Brett and Billy race together especially in the early to mid 80s and Billy always beat him.  Im not saying that Billy is Better or Brett is better Im just Saying, I never personally seen Brett Hearn beat Billy Pauch in the late 70s or early 80s.  I do know this Brett Hearn didn't like going to Flemington because of the Wheel men that raced there on Saturday nights.  You had Sammy Beavers, Stan Ploski, Glenn Fitzcharles, Fritz Epright, Ken Brenn, and so on and so on.  Hearn couldn't beat them, but Billy Could.

Pauch has 62 Sprint Car Wins in PA alone, won the Wiliams Grove NATIONAL open, He did win a Chilli Bowl feature NOT The Chilli Bowl and also won a Feature at Knoxville during the Nationals week.  They are not included in his 62 PA Sprint Car wins though.  Who knows how many actual wins he has in everything he has driven.

Anyone who thinks Billy Pauch Sr is not one of the BEST MODIFIED DRIVERS to ever wheel a Modified really has no idea what they are talking about or seeing on the track.  I would say he is the BEST Short Track racer of all time though.

P.S.  Someone mentioned if Billy Pauch would have been considered and talked about like the Kinsers are in Sprint Cars well here is a true story.  In 1993 or 1994 Steve Kinser invited Billy Pauch to Join the World Of Outlaws, (At that time you had to be invited to join the club by an owner or a driver) it was at Williamsgrove Speedway because Pauch had blown the doors off everyone that night and the night before.  Pauch said to Steve Kinser why would I want to travel all over the country when I can make more money driving my modified.  So Yes he would have been talked about that way because the KING Of the Outlaws respected Billy Pauch and the way he drove a whole lot.  Kinser couldn't believe Pauch only drove a 410 Winged Sprint Car only a few times at that point.  He was that good

• Like 2

On 9/29/2011 at 12:58 AM, FightForTheRail said:

He's at the end of his career now, clearly, 

39 wins and 2 track championships since this comment.

For me being originally an asphalt guy, the single most impressive thing about Billy to me was winning the ROC at Flemington in 1993 driving for Mario Fiore. He wasn't even planning on running there that weekend but got a call at home from Mario when the scheduled driver, Mike Stefanik, didn't show up.

3 minutes ago, Sicklajoie said:

For me being originally an asphalt guy, the single most impressive thing about Billy to me was winning the ROC at Flemington in 1993 driving for Mario Fiore. He wasn't even planning on running there that weekend but got a call at home from Mario when the scheduled driver, Mike Stefanik, didn't show up.

I mentioned the Asphalt ROC win in my previous post You are so right, He started LAST and Finished 1st he didn't even know he won that race they told him he won and he said "OH REALLY"  he got a call like 1 hour before the hotlaps -- spun the car out broke it his shop was like 10 mins away they fixed the car he qualified last and then won the race after 250 laps in a BACKUP car that wasn't supposed to be any good --- Go Figure

• Like 1

Just now, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

He’s 2-for-2 in my trips to Bridgeport.

The guy is GREAT and No One can take away all he has done.  If I were to pick the Best Modified Driver to ever Drive for 1978 to now I wouldn't say Brett Hearn -- I would say Billy Pauch hands Down no one is better that he was/is.  Too bad age catches up with you.  He still is winning Championships 2019 Bridgeport Track Champ

GO BILLY

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sicklajoie said:

He's not at the end of his career or wasn't when that comment was made? Pauch is the greatest short track driver I have ever seen, but that is an average of less than five wins a year from a guy with over 700 wins.

All the greats of the 1970s and 1980s, Alan, Danny, Hearn, Pauch, Horton can still win now and again, but they are clearly at the end of their careers and have been for a while now.

23 minutes ago, FightForTheRail said:

He's not at the end of his career or wasn't when that comment was made? Pauch is the greatest short track driver I have ever seen, but that is an average of less than five wins a year from a guy with over 700 wins.

All the greats of the 1970s and 1980s, Alan, Danny, Hearn, Pauch, Horton can still win now and again, but they are clearly at the end of their careers and have been for a while now.

I wouldn’t bother, you hear the same thing about Sammy Swindell in sprint cars, for some reason people can’t accept that Father Time is undefeated. 

For what it’s worth, I’m still trying to unravel the WoO being an invitation-only league in the 1990s, that’s some high quality nonsense there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NODOORS said:

...it was 1994 when Billy Pauch ran the Zemco #1 Sprint Car at 144 plus miles per hour for the World Record and the track record At The Moody Mile and it still stands today....

That record was broken in 1998 by Sammy Swindell at the Springfield Mile : 24.719 seconds, 145.637 mph.

• Like 1

Pauch is one of the greats. He is not competing as much as he used to, so he's not racking up the sheer number of wins ... but he is always one of the guys to beat.

The other thing is Pauch has a touch, just a touch, of that Bloomquist vibe -- an outlaw, definitely a willingness to challenge authority and stir things up, often accused of playing a little fast and loose with the rules (don't konw if he does that any more than anyone else ... but people notice it with Pauch because he wins so much.) (Personally, I like Billy, though, whereas Bloomquist just rubs me the wrong way.)

It seems like there is always a controversy every year, typically over something that is in the gray area or a little over the line ... and when he threatens to move on to another track, the promoters normally find a way to "work it out" because they know he puts a lot of fans in the stands.

Pauch Jr. is coming into his own, too, has become a pretty good driver. I think Mandee's videos have done a good job of showing the intensity and dedication it takes to run a race team.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, franceslm1 said:

That record was broken in 1998 by Sammy Swindell at the Springfield Mile : 24.719 seconds, 145.637 mph.

I said at the Moody Mile and he will always have the track record.  Yes Sammy broke it by something like .107 sec in Illinois.  All tracks are different and sizes are not the same.  Measuring tracks  is very unscientific and has been for a long time. 

11 hours ago, con7 said:

For what it’s worth, I’m still trying to unravel the WoO being an invitation-only league in the 1990s, that’s some high quality nonsense there.

When the WOO was young you had to be invited to join the Club, and be considered an "OUTLAW"  not race against them.   Now you can just join and spen a boatload of cash to do the tour

1 hour ago, NODOORS said:

When the WOO was young you had to be invited to join the Club, and be considered an "OUTLAW"  not race against them.   Now you can just join and spen a boatload of cash to do the tour

Not to pile on, but there’s no truth to this whatsoever. The WoO started in 1978 and by the early 90s it was about 15 years old. There was also never a card handed out like Costco or Sams Club that said “Outlaw” that allowed you to follow the tour. 
Regardless, Billy Pauch is one of the finest dirt drivers to ever live, that we can agree on. 

4 hours ago, BillSmith said:

I think Mandee's videos have done a good job of showing the intensity and dedication it takes to run a race team.

That's not all they show :girlwacko:

11 hours ago, NODOORS said:

...All tracks are different and sizes are not the same.  Measuring tracks  is very unscientific and has been for a long time. 

You're right, Sammy was probably going a lot faster than 145.

• Haha 1