Toggle %s Dirt Track Digest Breaking News

Dirt Track Digest is going orange in honor of Kevin Ward Jr. # 13 always in our hearts ..... Share a photo of Kevin with us. email to outlaw@dirttrackdigest.com ....If your screen is not orange please go to the bottom of the page on the left click change theme and click on Classic Red. Thank You..

Support Our Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

varin cars

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 olds23p

olds23p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:59 PM

Just heard that both of bobby varins cars have made it through tech with no issues .

#2 Casper60

Casper60

Let the Butthurt flow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:16 PM

Were they expecting them not to? lol
Daryl Barrett

#3 Mike Mitchell

Mike Mitchell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • Interests:dirt racing then all other racing

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

so did hearns and most evryone elses..........

how do you spell Mr Dirt? ........ALAN JOHNSON correction MATT SHEPPARD

BRP RULES ALL THE REST DROOL

spell check or the grammar police will get ya.........

#4 The Rabbitt

The Rabbitt

Dirt Track Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:01 PM

The 13 failed.....

Anyone else find is amusing whats old is new again? If you take the hood off Sheppard's car and add it to Hearn's Nose... It looks awfully familiar...

http://3widespicturevault.com/80spisc&vitals/11.19.03___$_PLO_FLM_0080_1.htm

#5 fiend540

fiend540

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

The 13 failed.....

Anyone else find is amusing whats old is new again? If you take the hood off Sheppard's car and add it to Hearn's Nose... It looks awfully familiar...

http://3widespicture..._FLM_0080_1.htm

Well, as someone not into the loop have the rules really changed or been opened up in the past 10 years to really allow anything new or innovative?

#6 KB19

KB19

Captain Awesome

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:05 AM

Did Steiner make it through at all yet?

Jamie Weaknecht

ClubWago.blogspot.com

Like the Club Wago Facebook page! ----> https://www.facebook.com/ClubWago

People either love me or they hate me...... or they think I'm okay

#7 rev600ho

rev600ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:SNOWMOBILING,all types of motorsports,ice hockey,coaching girls softball,Red Sox,Patriots,and talking sh*t on DTD!

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:05 AM

Did Steiner make it through at all yet?

Big block did..........358 didnt.........Hearns shouldnt have either!
See you out there......"ski's in the air"!

Canandaigua Motorsports Park(1)
Brewerton Speedway(4)
Fulton(2)
Oswego Speedway(1)
ESTA Dragway(2)
SDW(Thu-Sun)
Englishtown drag strip(1)
Wall Speedway(1)
Watkins Glen(1)
Pocono International(1)

#8 luke81

luke81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:07 AM

They should let them innovate all they want on the nose. When has a fancy nose wont the race? Steiner's doesn't even look to be all that effective, since it isn't wide enough to even cover the right shock like most of them are.

#9 Mustangbru8

Mustangbru8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

What is so trick about Hearn's that he shouldn't have made it through

#10 Michael Peek

Michael Peek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

Its funny how they try and stop racers from making their cars more aerodynamic. But these things should be let go. Its innovation coming into play into our sport. After all, if it wasnt for a few changes way back when by Mr. Balough we'd probably still be racing a "stock car."

Michael Peek

PKR Graphix and Signs

Mayfield, NY

#11 Casper60

Casper60

Let the Butthurt flow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:06 AM

Hey now... we all know creativity and engineering are not allowed in dirt racing. In fact I propse we limit the cars and engines to 1 manufacturer. Lets finish making these spec cars and get on with it already.
Daryl Barrett

#12 HR3 21H

HR3 21H

HR3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:www.hrthree.com, Racing, Brewing Beer

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

Hey now... we all know creativity and engineering are not allowed in dirt racing. In fact I propse we limit the cars and engines to 1 manufacturer. Lets finish making these spec cars and get on with it already.

I'm not one to typically call another out but Barrett you praise these motors as the only way you could race. You cant keep going from one side to another, either you like them or not. IF these were spec cars anyone and I repeat anyone can win. However you still see for the most part guys who put the time in, work on the cars and have the ability winning. The crate motors are not one bit different than our old open motors. ALMOST EVERYONE was running a DART block with 200 dart heads stamped 180 and all pretty much ran the same bottom end with done up 2 barrels. The only difference was who's name was on the hood and the bill at the end. Please tell me I am wrong, but I know I am not. If people cant embrace the crate program then dint watch. Yes open motors are way more fun to drive, they produce racing with more passing, but in the end the same guys who were winning with open motors, are winning with crates. You can also toss in a few new top caliber drivers who got into them who wouldn't have had the chance to, thanks to the open motors.

But back to the topic at hand, does anyone have a pic of Varins car so we can see what the big hoopla over the nose is.
Justin Henderson
Twitter - @HRTHREE - FOLLOW US!
FB- Henderson Racing HR3 - Like US!
Website - www.hrthree.com - Head on over!

#13 Casper60

Casper60

Let the Butthurt flow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

I'm not one to typically call another out but Barrett you praise these motors as the only way you could race.

This had nothing to do with sportsman Justin. Last I checked Hearn and Steiner run big blocks right? We were talking about tech on big blocks right? where did you get anything about sportsman out of that?
Daryl Barrett

#14 The Rabbitt

The Rabbitt

Dirt Track Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

I think we can all agree we'd be better off without an further aerodynamics coming into play in dirt modifieds then the disaster we already have.

#15 Casper60

Casper60

Let the Butthurt flow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

I think we can all agree we'd be better off without an further aerodynamics coming into play in dirt modifieds then the disaster we already have.

I never really thought they were a disaster. The thing is we don't have to get crazy with them, but some variation would be nice. The exotic stuff has always been saved for Syracuse and in the last decate, all creativity has been shot down. This is the one race that should have some variation and a little more room in the rules to play with that stuff. Hearn's nose (for example) would never cut it on a short track. That thing would be wadded up first night out.
Daryl Barrett

#16 Greg

Greg

The Flyin' Wee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

I personally can't wait for this time of year to see what kind of stuff people dreamed up to try to gain a little advantage in the grey area of the rule book.

So I, for one, welcome innovation in that respect.

Just not so crazy that we're racing cars that look like they have F1 wings on them lol

Greg Netherwood
"The Wee One"

#17 luke81

luke81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:02 AM

May I ask why? Air is free and aluminum is cheap. Fancy shocks, new cars, etc... are not free or cheap. Air takes knowledge instead of dollars! Now at the mile nothing is going to replace power of course, but figuring out how to reduce drag can help.

#18 fastbackss

fastbackss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:05 AM

Air is free until you start taking the car to the wind tunnel.

#19 SteveC38

SteveC38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Interests:My interests are raising my son to go fast, ice hockey, and...of course...DIRT RACING!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

Seriously? You guys are upset at something called innovation? Last I checked, its what this sport was founded upon and is severely lacking in this day. Cheers to guys like Stephane Lafrance and Brett Hearn. They are innovaters, constantly looking for an edge. They do the same things we could be doing in our garages, on our computers. They may have a few more tools to play with but they have put themselves in a position to be creative and arent afraid to try new things, think outside the box. A tape measure, sheet metal brake and some hand tools will get you started. Lets not forget the biggest tools, that of a brain and a set of brass balls. If Joe Blow from Mexico, NY came out with something wildly creative and blew all the big guns doors off, you would applaud him. But because its Brett, you have disdain. Sad. I am not a Hearn fan by any means. I just am in love with the idea with which this great sport we all love was founded on. Brett and Bobby Hearn, Billy Colton, Randy Williamson, the Little Hammer, one of the Flach boys, and many more we dont know exemplify what racing is. Okay. I will get off my soapbox. I just wish people could appreciate innovation no matter whos car its on.
2014 Race Count-
(1) Orange County Fair Speedway
(1) Five Mile Point
(2) Yates County Speedway
(4) Fulton Speedway
(1) Thunder Mountain Speedway
(2) Canandaigua Motorsports Park
(2) Brewerton Speedway
(1) Glen Ridge Motorsports Park
(2) Weedsport Speedway

Steve Ragan

#20 luke81

luke81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

Air is free until you start taking the car to the wind tunnel.

A wind tunnel isn't like a shock dyno or an engine dyno. They are not easy to find or inexpensive to rent. A team would need to spend the winners payout of the race or more to get enough time in the tunnel to make any difference, making it a very foolish investment. A more sensible way to make your car work better is to hire an engineer to use CFD software to run the car in a "virtual windtunnel" and suggest changes based on his findings. But who is to say that isn't already happening?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users