Toggle %s Dirt Track Digest Breaking News

Thank you again for you continued support of DirtTrackDigest.com.

Support Our Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

Hows This Idea Sound Top 8-10 in PTS after Florida Tour

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Ames

Tom Ames

Just a Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,772 posts
  • Interests:Dirt Track Racing, Sim Racing, WORK....

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

Well, I have heard the idea thrown around that DIRTcar was going to try and rename and/or give the SDS an Outlaw name, but this really got me to thinking..

Ok, after the races in Florida take the Top 8-10 in Total Points and offer them to sign a contract to follow the whole SDS Tour, the top 12 from last year will already be locked in..(if they chose and don't have to even race in florida)now, one thing we have to do is Get rid of rule that says they can't race anywhere else, let them do what they want, just as long as they show up and attempt to qualify at each SDS race..

I'm asking a bit much i know, but think about this, it wouldn't cost that much to do this.. Revamp the laps of the races (LESS LAPS) and payout the same total purse, but take a bit off the top and put more at the tail of the field.

I mean if this actually worked, give the top 12(last years points)

Matt Sheppard
Billy Decker
Jimmy Phelps
Brett Hearn
Danny Johnson
Justin Haers
Pete Britten
Rob Bellinger
Larry Wight
Tom Sears Jr.
Rich Scagliotta
Gary Tomkins

First Dibs to either say yes or no and move down the points until you can confirm 12 drivers.

Then take either the top 8-10 drivers from total points after florida tour and and sign them on.

This will do two things, Get more drivers to show for Florida on more incentive to race and do good.
Also gaurantee what a Touring Series should be and actually get contracted Drivers at every race like the woo.

So at any given SDS race you might be able to see 20-22 drivers at every race.

Make it 32 cars to start at each race. (besides the big shows like SDW/ESW/ W Finals)

Only the top 12 are gauranteed to start each race after the 3rd Tour race.(no matter if contracted or not)

Okay, now how much should they get just for showing up? I say at least $250 making it so they make at least $500 if they qualify and make it in.

DEBATE ON...... I CAN DREAM RIGHT.............:)

#2 fiend540

fiend540

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

If you want more drivers in Florida then they should try paying a real purse instead of a point system gimmick. I also don't see how this would help a SDS race turnout, the same guys are following the tour every year because they can afford it. The only way to change that is to make it more affordable, which is tough to do, or for the economy to make some miraculous turn around so people can throw money around like they used too.

#3 leroy

leroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

Well, I have heard the idea thrown around that DIRTcar was going to try and rename and/or give the SDS an Outlaw name, but this really got me to thinking..

Ok, after the races in Florida take the Top 8-10 in Total Points and offer them to sign a contract to follow the whole SDS Tour, the top 12 from last year will already be locked in..(if they chose and don't have to even race in florida)now, one thing we have to do is Get rid of rule that says they can't race anywhere else, let them do what they want, just as long as they show up and attempt to qualify at each SDS race..

I'm asking a bit much i know, but think about this, it wouldn't cost that much to do this.. Revamp the laps of the races (LESS LAPS) and payout the same total purse, but take a bit off the top and put more at the tail of the field.

I mean if this actually worked, give the top 12(last years points)

Matt Sheppard
Billy Decker
Jimmy Phelps
Brett Hearn
Danny Johnson
Justin Haers
Pete Britten
Rob Bellinger
Larry Wight
Tom Sears Jr.
Rich Scagliotta
Gary Tomkins

First Dibs to either say yes or no and move down the points until you can confirm 12 drivers.

Then take either the top 8-10 drivers from total points after florida tour and and sign them on.

This will do two things, Get more drivers to show for Florida on more incentive to race and do good.
Also gaurantee what a Touring Series should be and actually get contracted Drivers at every race like the woo.

So at any given SDS race you might be able to see 20-22 drivers at every race.

Make it 32 cars to start at each race. (besides the big shows like SDW/ESW/ W Finals)

Only the top 12 are gauranteed to start each race after the 3rd Tour race.(no matter if contracted or not)

Okay, now how much should they get just for showing up? I say at least $250 making it so they make at least $500 if they qualify and make it in.

DEBATE ON...... I CAN DREAM RIGHT.............:)

What rule are you talking about that says they can't race anywhere else? Even the SDS champ raced plenty non Dirt-sanctioned shows last season. Obviously if they attempt to qualify for each race then they can't be somwhere else at the same time. What am i missing? As far as getting 20-22 of the same drivers at every race? Yes, we can dream. I am not sure that all the drivers in the top 12 made every show last season. Could be wrong

#4 Tom Ames

Tom Ames

Just a Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,772 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

Maybe I was off on the rule, it was you can't race a non-sanctioned race when a SDS race is going on or you lose all your points...

Not sure if they even have this anymore do they?

I can dream we can dream, but the modifieds really need to get more of the main headline and treated better, DIRTcar can get and land sponsors to help make this happen...

World of Outlaw Modifieds sounds great I think...

#5 leroy

leroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Maybe I was off on the rule, it was you can't race a non-sanctioned race when a SDS race is going on or you lose all your points...

Not sure if they even have this anymore do they?

I can dream we can dream, but the modifieds really need to get more of the main headline and treated better, DIRTcar can get and land sponsors to help make this happen...

World of Outlaw Modifieds sounds great I think...

You could be correct on the this rule as you state. I really don't know. But if a driver needs to attempt to qualify for all SDS races, it makes the rule kind of a moot point.

#6 zero3

zero3

WTF Does this do?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Basketball

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Tom your idea is and has already been in place for a while. There are already contract drivers, there are free passes given, there is extra money handed out and yet they still struggle to get 10 guys to do the entire tour. Its just the culture and economic time this country is in. People dont have the time or the expendable income to go traveling during the week like they used to.

#7 Tom Ames

Tom Ames

Just a Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,772 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

Well the idea of having to qualify for every race, lets forget that one and then do the total points for the series and drop thier lowest finish and score them like that and no weekly points needed so if all you wanted to do is race the series, then you can. So It would almost be like each driver gets a bye for one race...

No one likes change, but it would be nice to see something change in these times..

#8 Tom Ames

Tom Ames

Just a Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,772 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

Tom your idea is and has already been in place for a while. There are already contract drivers, there are free passes given, there is extra money handed out and yet they still struggle to get 10 guys to do the entire tour. Its just the culture and economic time this country is in. People dont have the time or the expendable income to go traveling during the week like they used to.

Yeah I hear ya Zach, its okay to dream right?

But either way its time to make the SDS a SDS like the Woo Tours and give the guys that have been doing this for years more incentives or something... I'm just bored in the off season....

#9 Kimmie

Kimmie

Queen of the Damned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,667 posts
  • Interests:Dirt Track Racing, Boys, Sunshine, Rainbows, and Starburst Candies

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

Okay, let me get this straight.....

Are you saying the modifieds have something like the Sprints have with a Gold Club, Platinum Club memebership? And WHY do we have that?

Secondly, MONEY is the issue. And the fact that you've already lost Decker for the SDS this season after the bashing he took at Super DIRT Week. (It is the only reason I can come up with for Jon to decide to park Billy's modified for Florida.) The purses for the Florida shows are $2K, $2K, $2K, and $6K. Winner's share of the shows. A good driver stands a shot at taking home $12K by winning every night, but when was the last time that happened?

Thirdly, besides Sheppard and Larry Wight, have we really gotten a confirmation on who will be in Florida? I know Justin did not go last year, and depending on Mel's health, has he even HINTED that he might try it this year? Last I knew, Gary Tompkins didn't even have a ride. Dale Planck said he was concentrating on the late model, I thought. God only knows what Carey Terrance and the wild Native American crew will do, but I'm sure it will be spectacular! Lol! Has there been an indication from Clan Phelps? What about Pat Ward? Friesen? Chicoine? The list goes on....

I'd be more interested in a confirmation of teams to find out if would even be worth the time for the trip to Florida.
"To err is human.. To forgive never happens on a race forum..."

If it has testicles or tires, it's bound to be trouble........

Kimberly C. Updike

#10 KB19

KB19

Captain Awesome

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

LJL Racing didn't take any modifieds to Volusia last year, and took a late model for Larry Wight. I'm more surprised that they're taking a modified this year than anything else. Sure, Decker's going with the late model and not the modified, but let's not assume there's some kind of conspiracy going on, they're still supporting WRG by going.

I've asked around a little bit, don't do a ton of asking until February gets here, but I know Mike Kolka, Matt DeLorenzo, Rick Laubach, Rich Scagliotta, Michael Storms, Alan Johnson, Brett Hearn, Peter Britten, Billy VanInwegen, Ray Swinehart, Tim Fuller, and Jeremy Markle will also be at Volusia. Last I heard Johnny Scarborough was going too (haven't heard anything lately though), and Jimmy Horton is "75% sure" he'll be there. They only had 31 modifieds make the trip last year, they'll have at least that again this year.

Jamie Weaknecht

ClubWago.blogspot.com

Like the Club Wago Facebook page! ----> https://www.facebook.com/ClubWago

People either love me or they hate me...... or they think I'm okay

#11 Kimmie

Kimmie

Queen of the Damned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

I don't mean to indicate a conspiracy theory. Lol! But, honestly, Billy would be my choice to send after the cash in the modified, not Larry. This is MY opinion, for right or wrong, and not meant to be offensive in any way. I find Larry to be qualified to drive either vehicle, I just think Billy is soooo good right now....

Kimberly C. Updike

#12 FightForTheRail

FightForTheRail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

If you want more drivers in Florida then they should try paying a real purse instead of a point system gimmick. I also don't see how this would help a SDS race turnout, the same guys are following the tour every year because they can afford it.

Yep, this. All the gimmicks in the world aren't going to make towing 18-20 hours for less money than a lot of places pay weekly look like some sweet deal.

#13 Tom Ames

Tom Ames

Just a Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,772 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

The basic Idea I had here was to find a way to get more money(Sponsors) for the drivers that will try to make every race, sign them and go with it. But i know the times suck, but it is possibble. And also a uniquie way to offer this to other modified drivers..

No idea who is or who isn't going to florida, the names i listed above were the top 12 in points for 2011...

If you didn't have to race weekly for points that go toward the series, i think that there are a few people/teams out there that could afford to do just the series...(others that don't normally follow it) especially if there was "incentive $$" for them to show up...

#14 KB19

KB19

Captain Awesome

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

Didn't mean it as a personal attack Sunny, there are a ton of people on here that think anything involving WRG and any of the Gypsum cars involves some kind of conspiracy theory, haha.

Jamie Weaknecht

ClubWago.blogspot.com

#15 Kimmie

Kimmie

Queen of the Damned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

I know, Jamie. Sometimes I do, too.

So, seeing as you have the skinny on some of the stuff, can you answer me if DIRTvision can put up a seperate chat room for each division this season? Having on egiant room started oh, so many chat room wars... It got confusing and they really wasn't a moderator so no one was getting removed. I know you don't have any control over it, but could you put two good words in for me with the powers that be? Thanks!

Kimberly C. Updike

#16 KB19

KB19

Captain Awesome

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

I'll mention it, but I don't really have any pull anymore. I know I'll be in there during Volusia this year, and I was going to help with some minor stuff, so maybe I can do some kind of moderating in there, we'll see though.

Jamie Weaknecht

ClubWago.blogspot.com

#17 claytonracing0 (dan humes)

claytonracing0 (dan humes)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Racing & custom helmet painting

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:07 PM

If you didn't have to race weekly for points that go toward the series, i think that there are a few people/teams out there that could afford to do just the series...(others that don't normally follow it) especially if there was "incentive $$" for them to show up...

Tom I agree, we haven't raced a full season in probably 4years or so, & last year we attempted every SDS race except Florida & Charlotte,with no sponsors & no free passes etc. it was tough but we still showed up (didn't qualify but thats another story LOL) but in the end we were able to do it by not running a weekly (hometrack)

#18 Tom Ames

Tom Ames

Just a Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

That is what I was saying claytonracing, This could be done and make the series just that a Series!!

#19 fiend540

fiend540

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

If you get rid of the home track points, then what incentive is left for a track to stay DIRT sanctioned?

#20 Tom Ames

Tom Ames

Just a Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

To have all of thier classes like sportsman, UMP mods, Stock cars(Street Stocks) and PRO Stocks sanctioned as well and align with all the other tracks across the nations under the same banner, thats why, it benifits all the racers.. Points are points, screw them(pts) but They have weekly points to crown track champions and also regional points that Drivers get a kick back from a national point fund. Thus still having points for the big blocks (aligned with other DIRTcar sanctioned tracks)....

Edited by Tom Ames, 24 January 2012 - 07:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users