Toggle %s Dirt Track Digest Breaking News

Super Dirt Week is here. Do you have your tickets yet? Who's it going to be?

Support Our Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

Old School Paint Schemes

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 John J. Calcagni Sr.

John J. Calcagni Sr.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:59 PM

Ii loved the old painted modifieds, especially mid-70's! While I am partial to the Higbie's 97 Jumpin Jack had some great ones as did the 666 and the Dornberger 99. What were some of yours?
BigCat53

#2 john56h

john56h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Dirt and asphalt stock car racing, Vintage race car events, Antique and Muscle cars. Slot cars.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

Anything painted...todays precoated aluminum and vinyl graphics are nice, but lack the uniqueness of the painted and hand lettered bodies. I also liked painted wheels as the color choice became part of the paint scheme. Now everybody has aluminum silver...nothing different.

#3 john56h

john56h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Dirt and asphalt stock car racing, Vintage race car events, Antique and Muscle cars. Slot cars.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

A few memorable cars:

Norcia #81 (black & gold Gremlin with big horse painted on the sides)

Marinelli #m1 (beige & white Gremlin with gold stars...looked like Evel Knevel would drive it)

Diffendorf #S/360 (the stars & stripes sedan with the roof wing)

Coville #61 (red white & blue Gremlin)

Statewide #3 (red & white panel paint jobs with gold rims and bumpers)

#4 Mike Sessler

Mike Sessler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

Al Golly's orange #66
Mike Romano's black, red and orange #97 (former cagle pinto I think)

#5 BobMiller

BobMiller

Nobody Important

• Administrators
  • 8,765 posts
  • Interests:Media member since 1984... TV camera operator for motorsports broadcasts. Cover weekly racing at Canandaigua, and Rolling Wheels as owner of NUMBER NINE MEDIA (formerly Half Fast Video).

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:21 AM

Anything painted...todays precoated aluminum and vinyl graphics are nice, but lack the uniqueness of the painted and hand lettered bodies.

Amen, my brother. There are fantastic vinyl guys out there who do a great job prettying up these awful looking bodies we have today. Some of the wrap guys do a good job too. But you can't get depth in vinyl. NOTHING beats hand painted signage. I miss the days where no 2 yellows were the same shade, and guys would come out with copper, burgundy, maroon, bronze and silver base paints. And then the hand lettering guys would jazz them up with 3, 4 and 5 color numbers. And airbrushing... I loved it. Custom Bob and JR are the only 2 guys left in the biz that will still do it today that I know of.

I've told Custom Bob I want him to do me a sign for my business. Bob - we need to talk, buddy.

#6 Tony Farone

Tony Farone

DTD LOVER !!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:27 AM

Amen, my brother. There are fantastic vinyl guys out there who do a great job prettying up these awful looking bodies we have today. Some of the wrap guys do a good job too. But you can't get depth in vinyl. NOTHING beats hand painted signage. I miss the days where no 2 yellows were the same shade, and guys would come out with copper, burgundy, maroon, bronze and silver base paints. And then the hand lettering guys would jazz them up with 3, 4 and 5 color numbers. And airbrushing... I loved it. Custom Bob and JR are the only 2 guys left in the biz that will still do it today that I know of.

I've told Custom Bob I want him to do me a sign for my business. Bob - we need to talk, buddy.

Miller you have the right guys for " Old School " As you said there's alot of Vinyl guys who do great work and some that DON"T ! If you want a true OLD SCHOOL job Custom your man ! He's as Old school as it gets !

#7 banana cognac

banana cognac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

Although I wasn't around for the days of painted cars, I've seen a bunch of pictures and a few jump out to me as really cool.

I always liked Jeff Heotzler's 17J scheme, with the black body and the stripes up the side. I also thought Doug Hoffman's cars were sharp, especially with the number being '60 Over'.

Even though it's asphalt, one of my favorite scheme's was Charlie Jarzombeck's white coupe with the American Flag #1. I loved all of Joe Plazek's schemes too.

Another thing that I'd like to point out, is that there are a lot of guys out there who have driven cars that look the same for years. I mean, Bill Wilson has had that mustard yellow and white scheme for decades. Even though his car is vinyl, it still has a nostalgic look to it.

I'm lucky enough to have a grandmother who is a pack rat, so when I clean the garage (which seems to be more and more often these days :wallbash:) I come across a bunch of my dad's old AARN's and Dirt Trackin' Magazines from the 80s. It's amazing to look through and see so many different style cars, and the creativity that was prevalent at that time. It's also pretty cool to see a lot of the same guys out there to this day

#8 BobMiller

BobMiller

Nobody Important

• Administrators
  • 8,765 posts
  • Interests:Media member since 1984... TV camera operator for motorsports broadcasts. Cover weekly racing at Canandaigua, and Rolling Wheels as owner of NUMBER NINE MEDIA (formerly Half Fast Video).

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

As you said there's alot of Vinyl guys who do great work and some that DON"T !

I couldn't have said it better myself. Anyone can buy a vinyl cutter and a supply of the latest vinyl, and there is some awful work out there to prove it.

#9 HR3 21H

HR3 21H

HR3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Interests:www.hrthree.com, Racing, Brewing Beer

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

Dan Pierson used to paint my dads cars, couple packs of smokes, case of beer and about 10+ hours of work. Always did a great job.

As for Vinyl work, Pilat is the best.

Justin Henderson

#10 SPitcher

SPitcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Painted cars are def sweet, some of my personal fav's would be any of the pink L82 Ted Lamb cars not sure who painted them but always hot looking! Also have to go with the 00 Leroy Hurlbut cars something about that green! As for todays cars with the vinyl JR is fantastic and Dan Gill and crew at Atomic are the best out there no one else is on there level IMO!

#11 Guest_malletiswormser_*

Guest_malletiswormser_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

My all time favorites are Brett Hearns Yellow Pepsi car and Anything Jack Johnson Drove Sammy Rogers Miller car was awesome too back then

#12 BobMiller

BobMiller

Nobody Important

• Administrators
  • 8,765 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

This topic comes up every now and again and we all have our favorites. My personal favorite vinyl guy is definitely JR. When his shop shared the same building with the TV Studio in Weedsport, I used to get sneak previews of the Syracuse paint schemes. He and I and Frankie Doll used to talk for hours sometimes about paint and vinyl. It's funny in a way... Steve Hulsizer's Syracuse car was in the shop, and as we all know, I LOVE black and green color schemes. And I've always been a fan of Hulsizer because he was a black and green guy himself. Same with Jimmy Hauser. JR had the body panels on the table and JR knew I was a fan of black and green. He heard me walk into the TV studio and came and got me. Man... it was like I saw my first Playboy centerfold. I loved the car as it sat, but it wasn't finished and I asked JR what else he planned on doing to it. He said he had a couple of ideas, but he wasn't quite sure yet. I sat there drooling over the car and said, "Ya know? A pinstripe of sky blue would make this thing pop." He just laughed and said "I was thinking the same thing." I don't remember if he did it or not, but that car was my favorite of the year.

A year later, JR had one of Danny Johnson's cars in to be letter for Syracuse, and Danny is an Orange guy. I've never like all orange racecars for some reason. The work he did to the paint prior to the lettering was AMAZING. The body was black, and he laid down some faint orange in a honeycomb pattern, then clear coated it. Next was a hint of silver using the same pattern and then clear coated that. He repeated the process a couple of time, and by the time he got done with it, the paint looked 2" thick. Why that car never won best looking car that year is beyond me.

#13 miniracer12

miniracer12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

For those of us in Western NY and Canada ( Ransomville, Merrittville, Humberstone area ) I always liked Ivan Little's black cars with the red and yellow flames. Didn't matter if it was a coupe or Gremlin, they were ALWAYS sharp!!!

#14 4th Turn

4th Turn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

Purple #4 with a sweeping white stripe. Nuff Said

They speak of my drinking , but never of my thirst.

#15 BobMiller

BobMiller

Nobody Important

• Administrators
  • 8,765 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

I was just thinking about another car I absolutely loved and it didn't have a speck of green. Jack Johnson's Witz car that he brought to Charlotte the first year the Mods ran there. Man that thing was purty...

#16 tg#15

tg#15

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

THE CARS I ALWAYS FELT WERE THE SHARPEST ON THE TRACK WERE THE COUPES AND COACHES THAT LLOYD HOLT RACED DURING THE 60'S AND 70'S ][/indent]

#17 KrashMender

KrashMender

UP 2 SPEED

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Interests:DISCLAIMER...
    My thoughts and opinions expressed on this website are mine and mine only and DO NOT reflect the thoughts or opinions of any Organizations, Race Teams, Race Tracks or Individuals that I may be involved with.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

Jami Russll's #27 Sprint Cars are base coated,lettered,air brushed and then cleared. Of course I'm having difficulties posting a pic.

#18 c0astie31

c0astie31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

Eddie Marshall 98 cars, same guy has been painting his for years,

#19 Blksheep

Blksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

Attached File  Lape turn 4.jpg   105.73KB   43 downloadsThis is one of my all time favorites. This paint scheme has been slingin mud for 6 decades.Attached File  PeteCorey_WHitbeck22_FondaAd_HAMB.jpg   47.68KB   37 downloads

#20 badbanana18

badbanana18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:24 AM

A few favorites. Steve Glover #21, the Fiegl owned #37 of Harry Sittler, And the Rudolph chassis #38 of Lyndon Wood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users