Toggle %s Dirt Track Digest Breaking News

Welcome to Dirt Track Digest.Com....New photos are available in the gallery at: http://www.dirttrack...t.com/gallery7/.....Check out the front page for stories from around the tracks at http://www.dirttrackdigest.com.....the Dirt Track Digest App has also been updated in the Google Play Store!

Support Our Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

Bobby Varin

Wins at OCFS

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 dirtracer16c

dirtracer16c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

Congrats to Bobby and team on your win tonight at OCFS. 2 wins this weekend so far. Hopefully he wins Utica tomorrow too!

#2 TOBY

TOBY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

Another win this weekend for Bobby Varin !! :fans: 

I'm sure he's  thrilled to get a win in his new ride.  Great job Bobby & crew.

#3 Fatmansexpress II

Fatmansexpress II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

Yes, you can be sure he was thrilled.  So were the whole team, including the car owner!   He pulled off a win when they knew he had no chance of winning!  Clinton Mills came out of the consi, started about 20th or so and was in 2nd by lap 15.  Yet Bobby was able to hold off both Mills and Tommy Meier for the win!  Now that, my friends is tenacity.  Persistence, perseverence and stubborn determination!!  Way to go Bobby.

#4 REDDFOXX

REDDFOXX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

Way to go Bobby!

#5 TOBY

TOBY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

Max----you seem a little excited !!!  

Must have been great to watch.

Go Bobby Go !!

#6 SailPanels

SailPanels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

Just don't go door handle to door handle with him because you'll end up in the wall. 

another 2 laps and it would have been very interesting to see him try to block Mills and Meier.

2013 Races: 29

#7 banana cognac

banana cognac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

Pretty cool to hear that Varin picked up the W at Middletown. I think it's a lot more impressive that Clinton Mills came from roughly 20th to 2nd in less than twenty laps. I'm pretty pissed that I won't be home from school until mid-June because it sounds like the racing is the best it's been at the Hard Clay since I was a kid 

#8 Fatmansexpress II

Fatmansexpress II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:58 AM

Just don't go door handle to door handle with him because you'll end up in the wall. 

another 2 laps and it would have been very interesting to see him try to block Mills and Meier.

Just remember, any driver worth his salt is gonna be tough to   pass when he has the lead and there are only a couple of laps left.  BUT no, he won't ever intentionally wall anybody. 

#9 Dennis W. Murphy

Dennis W. Murphy

Life is a journey, not a guided tour.

• Moderators
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

Quoting Mike Petruska about Saturdays feature "The driver is the reason we won the race".   There were a lot of restarts that were negative and a positive for Varin. Rich Eurich hounded him from the start of the race and even past him on a restart but as they were in 3 and 4 the caution came out and they went back to the last lap.  Mills got by him under green but again as Mills was past him the yellow came out and they reverted to the last lap.  

The 66 team are still having issues figuring out this Troyer on OCFS surface.

But I will say one thing, RACING IS BACK AT OCFS!!!! Drivers were passing high and low in all divisions.  And both the Modified and the Sprint Car race came right down to a 3 car battle for the checkereds by inches.

#10 REDDFOXX

REDDFOXX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

Quoting Mike Petruska about Saturdays feature "The driver is the reason we won the race".   There were a lot of restarts that were negative and a positive for Varin. Rich Eurich hounded him from the start of the race and even past him on a restart but as they were in 3 and 4 the caution came out and they went back to the last lap.  Mills got by him under green but again as Mills was past him the yellow came out and they reverted to the last lap.  

The 66 team are still having issues figuring out this Troyer on OCFS surface.

But I will say one thing, RACING IS BACK AT OCFS!!!! Drivers were passing high and low in all divisions.  And both the Modified and the Sprint Car race came right down to a 3 car battle for the checkereds by inches.

I said they same thing about our Friday night win at The Ridge, "I don't know if we had the fastest car, but I know we had the fastest driver!" Bobby is fun to watch!

#11 stratton87

stratton87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • Interests:racing, football, basketball, fishing, bar hoping

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

good to see he won.............why isn't he going to utica?

#12 dodge_charger_43

dodge_charger_43

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

Where do I remember the name Bobby Varin?  I have been into Dirt Track racing since the early 70's.  Started attending Reading PA, then Bridgeport NJ, then moved to southern Delaware and attended Georgetown & Delaware International (DelMar DE).  Attended Syracuse weekends in October for about 10 years.  Attended races at Ransomville NY, Lebanon Valley NY, and Bear Ridge in Vermont (I loved that little track).  There is a defunct dirt track in Maine (Unity Plantation; east of Unity Raceway) that has been resurrected.  They run old late 30's coupes....original machinery....not just sheet-metal to make them look vintage.  Even attended the indoor race at Atlantic City February 1-2 this year (and a couple years ago in Providence RI).  I moved to northern NJ Jan 2012 and attended the 1st race that year in April at Orange County Fair Speedway (OCFS).  Saw the majority of races at OCFS (incl WOO Sprints).  Been to all the races this year there. 

Attended the ROC race at New Egypt March 23, 2013 (they should have marketed the race more...Horton, Billy Decker, Danny Johnson, Stewart Friesen, David Van Horne [Fuzzy Jr], Frank Cozze [seen him run a zillion times], Billy Pauch, Pat Ward, Matt Sheppard, Blewett, GoDown, Laubach, Varin).  Saw Bobby Varin run strong there.  I think a few mishaps happened but Varin ended up 6th.

The OCFS race was a nail-biter.  Varin started near the front but had to battle many drivers after the later race yellows.  There were points in the race where he had to re-gain the lead with gutsy moves,  Eurich, Mills, Meier...  GREAT RACE ... I was rooting for Varin at the drop of the green.

How long has Varin been racing?  I swear I have seen him run before and clearly remember his name.

The other races were exceptionally good.  I really enjoy the Street Stocks and was glad to see #55 Stephen Kammer win another....smooth and patient.  That 'kid' Tyler Dippel won the Sportsman... he had the advantage of starting up front BUT with a few yellows he could have been challenged,,, he drove a flawless race. 

Adding the 305 sprints makes for a great racing card.  They are so maneuverable.    Was it Justin Barger who made all those last lap passes to end up 2nd??? 

Dodge_Charger_43

#13 bvan1130

bvan1130

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Dirt Racing, Guns, Hockey, Football and more Dirt racing

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Clinton Mills put on a driving clinic on sat night. Varin got lucky with all the damn yellows. Beacause Clinton actually passed him twice and the yellow came out and they put clinton back twice or noone would of come close to catching him. He came from 18 to 1st twice but finished second because of yellows. Then Varin blocked the hell out of him the rest of the way almost causing Meier to catch them and ruin both parties. But overall was a great feature. The racing at OCFS since they moved the walls in has been steller if you ask me. Its great to see and actually had a good turn out of fans there on sat both drive in and stands.

#14 Outlaw Photos

Outlaw Photos

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,553 posts
  • Interests:Food.... Racing... Friends... Race Talk!!!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

To quote the King Richard Petty.... Some days i'd rather be lucky than good....   I'm guessing the record will reflect a win for Bobby Varin... Congrats Bob on a good win..

#15 Dennis W. Murphy

Dennis W. Murphy

• Moderators
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

Dodge, Bobby Varin actually won the Eastern States 200 in 2003. He was a staple driver for I think over 20 years at Fonda Speedway. He has driven for a lot of great teams over the years including the Dover Breaks 00 and the Harrell Trucking 35. 

#16 Wiseguy

Wiseguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

Dodge, Bobby Varin actually won the Eastern States 200 in 2003. He was a staple driver for I think over 20 years at Fonda Speedway. He has driven for a lot of great teams over the years including the Dover Breaks 00 and the Harrell Trucking 35. 

Six time Fonda Speedway Modified Champion., by beating all the others at the "Track of Champions" also drove for Champion car owners Jake Spraker. and Andy Romano. Won Brett Hearn's "Big Show at A-S in 2012.

Also likes to drive and win with Sprint Cars,

#17 Dennis W. Murphy

Dennis W. Murphy

• Moderators
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

yeah what Wiseguy said..  :harhar:

#18 Fatmansexpress II

Fatmansexpress II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

Six time Fonda Speedway Modified Champion., by beating all the others at the "Track of Champions" also drove for Champion car owners Jake Spraker. and Andy Romano. Won Brett Hearn's "Big Show at A-S in 2012.

#19 Fatmansexpress II

Fatmansexpress II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

Sorry, I hit post before I wrote anything.  What I wanted to say was That's just a start, Wiseguy.

#20 Fatmansexpress II

Fatmansexpress II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

good to see he won.............why isn't he going to utica?

He went the opening night and lost a rearend.  He wasn't planning on running the whole year at Utica Rome.  I'm sure if a sponsor came along and made an offer,  Bobby would take a look at the possibility.  As it is now, he will only show up for specials.  He is trying to get the car ready for this weekend's  Mother's Day Special.  We shall see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users