Doug Zupan

Utica-Rome Breaking News - Small Block Weight Changed to 2,500lbs

I can't see how you say the track doesn't want to spend money on the track surface. If you go by on a Friday, you'll see them working on the track. Same goes for Saturday. On Sunday, you should see how much equipment is used to get the surface ready for racing.

If 3 solid days of work result in that poor excuse for a racing surface, then maybe it's time to hire the Fink boys to do the track & change the clay to something that stays tacky

I can't see how you say the track doesn't want to spend money on the track surface. If you go by on a Friday, you'll see them working on the track. Same goes for Saturday. On Sunday, you should see how much equipment is used to get the surface ready for racing.

If 3 solid days of work result in that poor excuse for a racing surface, then maybe it's time to hire the Fink boys to do the track & change the clay to something that stays tacky

Really? The track surface at U-R has been the same for at least the last 4-5 years. Get over it. If you don't like the surface, its pretty simple... don't go!

If you go to any track, anywhere in NY, it will get slick by feature time. Fulton, CMP, Fonda, Ransomville, Malta, etc. all get slick. All the drivers are driving on the same track. Some just tend to do better on that type of surface than others do. 

• Like 4

YES ABOUT TIME !! PAUL NOBODY GIVES A SH#T ABOUT YOUR CHARTS IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE A PORTED SM. BLK. YOU WERN'T WINNING . AND ONLY A FEW COULD AFFORD A SM BLK. FOR ONE TRACK.

True Story on the charts... Nobody cares lol. However as far as the small blocks? The same drivers are going to win anyway. No doubt in my mind

i enjoyed the charts

• Like 4

this is a typical nascrap move!!

You do know that NASCAR doesn't make the rules there. The track dose. I believe the rules where the same last year when they where independent except this year they are allowing sail panels.

now all they need to do is put the scales in the infield like brewerton and fulton so everyone is on the up and up

• Like 1

Stuff like this just shows that modifieds have way, way too many engine rules. It's ridiculous.

That is a true statement .... way to many combo's way to many weights....

I've long been of the opinion that modifieds should utilize the late model engine rule, where as long as it's got 8 cylinders, one cam and a carb, it's legal. Stuff like this proves it.

I am in total agreement.

I originally favored the idea of "cost control" on motors but have seen over the decades that every rule to save costs seems to end up costing more and more.

If you want to save costs, open the motor rules and put them on the narrow Sportsman tires (so you spin away excess horsepower). Maybe mandate flat decks with no spoiler on the cars to remove aerodynamics.

Unhook the cars so they slide around and make driver the most important part of the equation.

• Like 1

Opening up the engine rules was the problem from the start. The now 2400# DIRTcar 358 package is the most affordable package going but the guys with the money at UR enjoy buying titanium valves and porting and lightening heads and turning unGodly RPMS. The car owners are partly to blame for the declining Modified count and the track is to blame for opening up the rules to cater to those few. 

• Like 1

YES ABOUT TIME !! PAUL NOBODY GIVES A SH#T ABOUT YOUR CHARTS IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE A PORTED SM. BLK. YOU WERN'T WINNING . AND ONLY A FEW COULD AFFORD A SM BLK. FOR ONE TRACK.

True Story on the charts... Nobody cares lol. However as far as the small blocks? The same drivers are going to win anyway. No doubt in my mind
I thought the charts were interesting, but then as an engineer, I am interested in crap like that :)

This is why car counts are down all over the northeast. The cost of racing competitively has gotten out of control. It was proven that you can go faster and win races with a cheaper engine, so you change the rules to force people to spend MORE money on a Big Block? Wouldn't it be better in the long run to adopt rules that save teams money while preserving the speed and excitement of the division? This is counterproductive in my opinion.

Really? The track surface at U-R has been the same for at least the last 4-5 years. Get over it. If you don't like the surface, its pretty simple... don't go!

If you go to any track, anywhere in NY, it will get slick by feature time. Fulton, CMP, Fonda, Ransomville, Malta, etc. all get slick. All the drivers are driving on the same track. Some just tend to do better on that type of surface than others do. 

You need to get out more.  That statement is not true.  Any track?  Anywhere?  Nope definitely not true.

What's cheaper- a decent big block or these fancy small blocks?

And I'm asking honestly- I have no idea.

You can pay as much as you want for either engine size.

$10,000  to $50,000

The difference is the weight issue.

Big blocks have much more horsepower but are heavier and need tackier tracks to get the power to the ground.

Small blocks are lighter and handle better, plus they get the power to the ground better on slick tracks.

1. Have a Chevy, a Ford, and a Dodge crate offering.  Hell, maybe even a Toyota too.  That way you would have a spec (a.k.a. 'low cost') engine package, but still some variability under the hood.

2. Cut down on the body sizes and open up the Chassis rules - allow independants, swing arms, cantilevers, etc... put the creativity back into the cars and not the engines.

3. Run a 10" or 11" tire - similarly, open up the options - Hoosier, AR, GoodYear - they each can submit 3 compounds and no more.  Abandon 'Tire Fund' money once and for all.

4. Impose reasonable gear rules per track to avoid the 9,500 rpm screamers.

5. Go Race.

I think this would solve a lot of bitching.

• Like 1

Just let em run what ever motor they want to. If they want to have a weight limit that's fine. If not, that's fine too. Run watcha brung . let modifieds be modifieds. And whatever tires you have on the shelf, that's fine too.

Outside of the safety aspect, there are just waay too many rules
  • Like 4

If you want to save costs, open the motor rules and put them on the narrow Sportsman tires (so you spin away excess horsepower). Maybe mandate flat decks with no spoiler on the cars to remove aerodynamics.

Unhook the cars so they slide around and make driver the most important part of the equation.

I am not at all in favor of degrading the modifieds to be any less than they are now.  one of the great things about the modifieds compared to the sportsman is the aggressive moves they can make.  in any case, by feature time at Utica Rome the track is very slick which makes it a drivers track in the first place. 

I dont know why people are complaining about this move.  it is essentially the same thinking that Dirtcar used when they added weight to their small blocks during the past off season. it makes sense that if one engine combination has an advantage which has been aided by a weight break that it should be addressed.  heck, there are a lot of other divisions out there that when one or 2 two guys get to be dominant they add weight onto those cars only.  I believe last year one of our local street stocks was carrying 200 extra pounds by the end of the year.  this is very fair.

friesen can add 20 gallons of fuel in his 50 gallon fuel cell............................................ that's about 150 pounds

LIKE :laughing:

Stuff like this just shows that modifieds have way, way too many engine rules. It's ridiculous.

That is a true statement .... way to many combo's way to many weights....

I've long been of the opinion that modifieds should utilize the late model engine rule, where as long as it's got 8 cylinders, one cam and a carb, it's legal. Stuff like this proves it.

Not a bad idea. Oh wait. that would be too simple

You need to get out more.  That statement is not true.  Any track?  Anywhere?  Nope definitely not true.

ok, sorry.. I'll re-phrase that for you; If you go to most tracks in the central New York area (insert tracks listed in previous post), they will get slick come feature time. There.. that better? 

I've also been saying for YEARS that modifieds need to get over themselves and move to the late model engine package.  Fact is the prices of the northeast engines can stay high because there isn't a whole country of guys building them.  There are tons of used late model engines out there as well.  It just makes total sense to do, but yet.....   

When will the announcement be made officially through Utica's website? Will there be a drivers meeting this week to discuss the changes?

Just wondering, and this has nothing to do with Utica Rome, anyone have a rough idea what a Roush Yates ford small block would run a fella?