From week 1 at Fonda under new management they have been under fire from "US" on here about a rough track. Now I do not own a car or drive, but can we give the guy a little encouragement?

He gave the place a facelift, which was the EASY part. Then he had to figure out the track, to get it back to a big block track. Now he's at the track 24/7 instead of Friday night, so the man is trying, digging it up grading it different, putting different amounts of water on the track to see what works so it doesnt come up rough. And so far it hasn't worked, but he's there 24/7 trying to find they right thing to do to make it smooth and fast. Maybe it does need too be dug up and all the old dirt taken out and replaced with new dirt. I dont know, but I bet if thats is what needed to be done Matt will do it, and start September 22nd.

I understand that the rough track is costing you owners and drivers money, I'm not gonna argue that. Matty is a racer, he knows what a rough track does to cars, do you think he wants that? No, he wants to figure it out as much as any of us want him too. If he didnt care he wouldnt be there 24/7 trying to make it right, but he is trying to make it right.

Its just like us fans, when we bitch about drivers. Which I have, but in reality why? Just like when drivers scream and yell at Matty about the track being rough, all your doing is discouraging him, yes you can be mad, but deep down inside you see the work he's putting in the track, how can you be that mad and your frustrated because you race at Fonda speedway! And you thought this year was gonna be awesome! I think everyone of us Fonda fans & drivers were so happy to see Matty do running the show and the resources he's got that he could fix it by week 1, but he's only human. He has a total of 13 races under his belt as a promotor. I consider that still a rookie at his now profession.

I could see the frustation if he didnt show up until Friday to work on the track. But it's his life now.

I know there will be people that will bitch about it still, that he should have it figured out by now, but I really believe you cant turn a place around in a year granted a 1/2 year. The coming years will be great. Hell I thought the racing this year has been great, those Pro Stocks this year, put on one great show week in and week out, and the speeds of the mods is awesome!

Just remember he can stop what he's doing and not do a thing and the track will be smooth & slick, and then the bitching will being about that too.

I'm still behind Matty, because you can see he's putting in the time and effort to fix things, you can't ask for much more.

• Like 5

Same bashing goes on with Sowle at Glen Ridge???!!!!! No matter what he does he gets creamated by the armchairs on here. Just like matty d he has put a ton of time and money into the place and have it a much needed facelift. I agree with everything u say.

both places are a work in progress,but are improving by the week.i think both are going to be great promoters when its all said and done.the passion and effort are second to none.
  • Like 6

Fonda is on it's way back to it's glory days. It's tough when you lose two of your legenday drivers in the same 5 year span. Jack and Dave were two of the top draws every week. It's really nice to have Bobby back, as he really is the king of that place in the modern era. Hopefully the 3D car will also return on a regular basis to mix things up a bit. Jack fans will have to settle for RJ and Lape fans will have to find another to root for. But once the dust clears, let's hope Matty  and Co. are able to bring Fonda back to the best place in the World to be on a Saturday night.

• Like 2

Fonda is on it's way back to it's glory days. It's tough when you lose two of your legenday drivers in the same 5 year span. Jack and Dave were two of the top draws every week. It's really nice to have Bobby back, as he really is the king of that place in the modern era. Hopefully the 3D car will also return on a regular basis to mix things up a bit. Jack fans will have to settle for RJ and Lape fans will have to find another to root for. But once the dust clears, let's hope Matty  and Co. are able to bring Fonda back to the best place in the World to be on a Saturday night.

i think stewy would have something to say about that king stuff for the past 2 yrs. they are both good.

• Like 2

I think anyone with any time or money invested into any car that hits that speedway has every right to complain about the track surface... Call a spade a spade... ITS TERRIBLE....  and it cannot be blamed on the lack of surface.. Lucia somehow managed to give us a 2 groove smooth surface pretty free of rocks for years out of that same terrible stuff they are working with now. We all complained about that surface.. but maybe that was the best that "clay" could give us.  I can say it is not for a lack of effort by Matt, Pete, and everyone else working with them on it.. they are trying.. but they are getting ZERO results for it, and its almost having negative consequences (see rocks.. and lots of them!).... Last week the track was pretty smooth albeit waaaaayyyyyy to fast, which is not very good for the "show"... This week it was back to being rough, with dry spots, spots that resembled Syracuse (see the surface breaking up and dust storm in turn 3, where it looked like there was NO surface left....) and spots that had standing water and mud, let alone the fact any prostock that ventured to the top in turn 4 early in that feature was going for a ride (the intermission watering was not fully run in...) The working of that track trying to improve it has really brought rocks to the surface, it shows in the tire wear, as well as damage and some pretty serious "clangs" have come ringing off the fence posts of the pit catch fence the last couple weeks.

To your response of "hes been at it for 13 weeks"... and the track has less than stellar for 11 of them, and of the 2 good ones, we had to wait til 9:30 to get on the track for hotlaps (so there wasnt enough racing for it widen out for a good show) and the other had a race director apologizing for the heat race single lane conditions and a track that wasnt ready to race on, but needing to move the show along.....Forget discouraging Matt... the complete lack of any progress on the conditions and the massive weekly swings in track conditions are just as discouraging to the guys racing on it... We see them trying, trying hard and throwing resources at it (the heavy equipment parked there this week!) but it seems like 1 step forward 2 steps back... I think the frustration grows more from "do they know what they are doing?" versus "they aren't doing anything"...

I give Matt all the respect in the world.. the effort hes put forth and the things hes done before the season and throughout it have been great.. there's been two times I thought the balls been dropped, and Im sure he's learned from both, they can be chalked up to being a rookie promoter... but after 13 weeks, there has been ZERO signs of improvement on the surface outside of the fact we know they are working hard and throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it (and if that hole in 3 got any worse Im afraid we may have found that too....)

• Like 3

I GAVE UP .

I WAS SO EXCITED WHEN LUCIA WENT PACKING.

THINGS WERE GONNA CHANGE.

THEY HAVNT.

CANT BRING MY KIDS ANYMORE.

11PM TO 12PM ENDING IS THE NEW NORM.

DUSTY AND DIRTY AND THEN THIS OVERWATERING  THE TRACK NONSENSE.

LOVE JIM KING.

HATE ALL THAT OTHER BABBLE JUST TO TAKE UP TIME.

RECOVERY ROOM WAS GOING TO UPGRADE CONCESSIONS.

THEIR STILL AVERAGE, NOTHING TO CHEER ABOUT

FONDA AINT FUN ANYMORE.

Your 2nd & 3rd line say it all. Everyone expected a change right away. But why? It doesnt happen over night

I GAVE UP .

I WAS SO EXCITED WHEN LUCIA WENT PACKING.

THINGS WERE GONNA CHANGE.

THEY HAVNT.

CANT BRING MY KIDS ANYMORE.

11PM TO 12PM ENDING IS THE NEW NORM.

DUSTY AND DIRTY AND THEN THIS OVERWATERING  THE TRACK NONSENSE.

LOVE JIM KING.

HATE ALL THAT OTHER BABBLE JUST TO TAKE UP TIME.

RECOVERY ROOM WAS GOING TO UPGRADE CONCESSIONS.

THEIR STILL AVERAGE, NOTHING TO CHEER ABOUT

FONDA AINT FUN ANYMORE.

• Like 1

I said it before...Utica ROME was'nt built in a day. Everyone thinks its easy. Oh...and Cheap to run a race track.

Until they can get some new surface in there, there probably is'nt much that can be done with the silt, sand, gravel and potroleum based used up surface. Pete and Matt are trying. I heard the roller coaster ride is pretty much gone from going into turns one and two. Maybe they should just let it get black and slick for the rest of the year. New surface can't be laid down till the seasons over. It needs to be worked in and lay over the winter to firm up.

Maybe they should pave it!! LOL Then you'd see what fast is.

From a fans perspective the track was much better for the features. Multiple grooves on a fast track.....good night.
  • Like 2

i think stewy would have something to say about that king stuff for the past 2 yrs. they are both good.

Well...you may be right, Stew probably would have something to say. But until Stew puts up 5 track titles or 50 wins....Varin is the guy with the most success at Fonda right now. Until then......

I have a feeling Mattys gonna get rid of all the dirt on the track at the end of the year and put all new in. Not just lay new clay on top, I believe he's gonna dig the old dirt out and get rid of it.

I have a feeling Mattys gonna get rid of all the dirt on the track at the end of the year and put all new in. Not just lay new clay on top, I believe he's gonna dig the old dirt out and get rid of it.

That sounds VERY expensive.

That sounds VERY expensive.

He can't dig to deep. It's all big rock.  But don't forget that when you look at pictures from the 60's and from what I remember in the 70's the track was about 2-3 foot higher. A lot of dirt went home on race cars over the years.

• Like 1

Don't forget we also lost Dave Camara recently.

I for one love the fact that the guy is trying. he is doing his best with the shit thats there. and lets be honest, its shit.

Yes, yes.... Ric had the place smooth... So what. It was also slippery, very slippery. He treated it like it was a go kart track, which is fine if your running go karts. Not so good with a big block. HEY???!! Isnt that what our mods are supposed to have in them? Big Blocks??? Isnt that one of the things that separate's our cars from most other race cars in the country? One of those things that we thump our chest about?   Quit whining. 

Matty, keep up the good work man. 

DC

• Like 3

I appreciate everything Matt and everyone else involved has done with Fonda Speedway. He has tried to get the track to be the best for racing, for both fans and drivers. The problem is that, for whatever reason, it is not working. I believe the best solution for this year would be to get it smooth, free of holes and ruts, and let it do what ever its going to do. If it is dry, slick - ok. If it is tacky - ok. But it has to be relatively smooth.

There have been a lot of damaged cars because of track conditions.

The shows have gone extremely slow because of track conditions.

It seems obvious that the surface that is available at Fonda is not able to provide the good results that Matt has intended.

I would like to see us finish the season on a smooth (or relatively smooth track). It is expensive to repair damage on race cars. It is frustrating to fix damage on race cars caused by track conditions.

This is not a bash on Matt or Fonda, it is my opinion. Thank you. Bill Stone.

• Like 1