Sign in to follow this  
Racerfan2003

Thank You Merrittville and Ransomville

I just want to thank Merrittville and Ransomville for two great nights of racing this week with the Bob St. Amand 100 and the Alex Friesen Summer Nationals. It was great too see the Big Blocks again, i hope that there are back again next year. Thanks again and best of luck for the remainder of the season too both tracks!

• Like 4

they always have 2 great back to back shows....recall yrs ago all the drivers showing up for the chicken dinner  :)

Dirtfan... this is the first time in many years that these two races have been back to back.  the past 2 years in particular the big blocks have went to I-96 in Michigan following Merrittville.  yes, years ago it used to be back to back nights for the series races, though the Alex Friesen Summer Nationals was always a separate event later in August. glad to see they brought the big blocks back to Ransomville and it was awesome having that same chicken dinner that we used to get 20 or 30 years ago!

I will definitely agree with the original comment... two great nights of racing and for any fans out there who have never been to either track they are must see events!  I am still blown away by how good the surface was at Ransomville last night.  cant remember the last time we have seen the track hold up all night without taking rubber!

• Like 1

Dirtfan... this is the first time in many years that these two races have been back to back.  the past 2 years in particular the big blocks have went to I-96 in Michigan following Merrittville.  yes, years ago it used to be back to back nights for the series races, though the Alex Friesen Summer Nationals was always a separate event later in August. glad to see they brought the big blocks back to Ransomville and it was awesome having that same chicken dinner that we used to get 20 or 30 years ago!

I will definitely agree with the original comment... two great nights of racing and for any fans out there who have never been to either track they are must see events!  I am still blown away by how good the surface was at Ransomville last night.  cant remember the last time we have seen the track hold up all night without taking rubber!

Good post by both Dirtfan and NRF.    It was great to see both shows back to back like the good old days.  Ticked me off that I couldn't be there earlier to get my chicken dinner though!!!!!!  Darn work anyways!!!

I enjoyed my first visit to both locations and would love to do the trip next year as well. Merrittville was a better show of the two, but Ransomville had plenty of atmosphere. I am glad that Ransomville held out and ran the show on Tuesday, as the weather turned out to be great on Tuesday evening. The fans I was sitting around mentioned that the "Big R" normally gets much slicker and takes rubber. The racing there, IMO, would be better if the track was like that. The attrition level was really high because the track was sooo fast. At Merrittville, the track was super smooth and the SBM seem to be able to keep pace with the BB. There were about 4 fights in the stands at Merrittville , which were quite entertaining as well. The only downfall to the racing was that both nights the winner started on the pole and very little passing for the lead occurred. On Monday, Danny got challenged a bit but on Tuesday, Decker was in a league of his own.

• Like 2

very good commentary... agree with just about everything you said. ya, the mood at Merrittville was kind of blah most of the night mostly because of the dark gray clouds hanging around.  Us Canadians are certainly more reserved than an American crowd though.  

as for the track conditions, when it takes rubber that means everyone is in a single line in that groove with no passing at all.  Most of the guys were favoring the top side on Tuesday though it seemed you could run anywhere and Sheppard was the one guy who ran almost the whole race on the bottom.  that bottom groove still didnt fully develop as it usually does.  in other long distance races you often see it get so low that driver will have their left front up on the infield.  you are certainly right about the attrition on that high speed, tacky surface.

glad to hear you basically enjoyed the racing and the two tracks!

very good commentary... agree with just about everything you said. ya, the mood at Merrittville was kind of blah most of the night mostly because of the dark gray clouds hanging around.  Us Canadians are certainly more reserved than an American crowd though.  

as for the track conditions, when it takes rubber that means everyone is in a single line in that groove with no passing at all.  Most of the guys were favoring the top side on Tuesday though it seemed you could run anywhere and Sheppard was the one guy who ran almost the whole race on the bottom.  that bottom groove still didnt fully develop as it usually does.  in other long distance races you often see it get so low that driver will have their left front up on the infield.  you are certainly right about the attrition on that high speed, tacky surface.

glad to hear you basically enjoyed the racing and the two tracks!

Thought I was going to see Davey Moore also !!! :sarcastic:

• Like 5

Time trials have got to go. There's barely any passing till the feature. Please either just do a draw and go heads up or a draw for heats and a re draw. I felt like I sat there all night and the 'show' didn't start till about 9:30.

• Like 5

Time trials have got to go. There's barely any passing till the feature. Please either just do a draw and go heads up or a draw for heats and a re draw. I felt like I sat there all night and the 'show' didn't start till about 9:30.

That is a huge reason why my interest in the series has dropped off a cliff in recent years. So many of the series races I have attended in recent years have turned out to be yawners because of the horrible format on the series. I don't really get the whole be all and end all hype some of the posters on here have regarding the series when the format often leads to such poor racing.

nd I don't blame Ransomville but every mod heat had the first 2 or 3 rows were all big blocks and the last rows were the small blocks. Heats were terrible for the fans. Plus imagine time trialing fastest in your group and winning your heat and then redrawing 12th. If DIRT is so worried about someone getting screwed by a bad draw they may as well skip the re draw and go heads up from the heats where the heat winners are guaranteed to be in the first 2 rows. It's a lot of screwing around and lousy racing and someone is still likely to get 'screwed' by the re draw.

• Like 1

4 wide pace lap and start at Ransomville...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frerb1u0yc4