Sign in to follow this  
REDDFOXX

WHEN BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE

When Bad Things Happen To Good People...

It has been a devastating week for the racing community here in Upstate New York as well as nationally.

The loss of Kevin Ward Jr. & the circumstances surrounding it have shaken everyone in the dirt track racing world, me included! My heartfelt sorrow goes out to the Ward Family, his friends, crew & racing buddies who shall forever be effected by that fateful Saturday night.

With that said, Tony Stewart, whom I admire, is also effected by this tragic set of circumstances and will be for along time to come I'm sure, what happened is not something you just over with quickly. My thoughts go out to him, his family, his racing family & all his friends who also have been touched by this.

This wasn't & shouldn't be the Hatfields against the McCoys, not the cowboys against the indians... why do we have to choose sides... it was 2 hard nosed drivers doing what they love, if nothing had gone wrong they may have been drinking beers after the races together talking racing.

What happened, happened, who's right, who's wrong, the pendulum has swung from one side to the other, against Tony & now swinging the other way, media hype took Tony to the woodshed & back, experts who don't know a sprintcar from a cup car, all chiming in because it was TS & headlines sell TV time... how sad!  A Rush to Judgement!!! How to make a bad situation worse for everyone.

Out of most all racing tragedies comes some good to make our sport a safer one. I believe this will hold true in this one as well. If new rules or regulations help prevent another horrible instance, his loss will not have been for naught.

As far as the rule changes or enforcement of them should be done with some caution & oversight, not all situations concerning a driver exiting a stopped racecar are the same... fire, hot fluids, struck by a rock, broken driveshaft, fumes, sparks etc....remembering a driver is safest inside his car until all moving cars are stopped or under reduced speeds, the real problem exists in retaliation or the attempt to retaliate. If a driver exits & shows a form of retailation by approaching, throwing things or any covert acts towards another driver, track official or staff should warrant disqualification at that point.

If a driver uses his or her car as a "weapon" in a effort to damage someone else's race car, try to hurt or mame another driver or render his car unraceable should be suspended immediately &indefinately!!!

Lets do what we can to keep bad things from happening to good people!

• Like 20

Bill you might even want to sign your real name to that post... very well said...

Thank you Redd for that very well written post. I pray that the broken hearts can start to heal.

Bill you might even want to sign your real name to that post... very well said...

Well Outlaw, I will do just that.... I'm Bill Nelson & I'm a racing junkie...

My son & I field a big block modified, one which my son drove, a family operation, he & I doing our father / son like so many other family racing operations of weekend warriors, just like Kevin Jr  & his dad had done many times before.

Opening night a few years ago, he went out for hot laps, ran the first set as I watched, I climbed down from the stands & went back to the hauler, I didn't know he was going back out for another set of hot laps. As I waited for him to come back to the trailer, I was informed he had crashed heavily in that next set of hot laps & was seriously hurt. When I got down to the him & the car the EMS were already working on him, after 20 minutes they were able to get him out of the car & into the ambulance when I was informed by the lead EMS tech that they needed to get him to a trauma center ASAP. He was tranported by helicopter to Albany Medical Center & was in ICU in a coma for 3 days, not knowing just how much damage he had suffered, thankfully he has since recovered from most of his injuries.

For some reason I awoke Sat night or early Sunday morning (2AM) & was looking for results from earlier that night. Then I began to hear of what happened at CMP & my thoughts of Kevin & his Dad & the uncertainity they both faced immenently. It wasn't long before the horrible news of Kevin's passing became public, my worst fears for them both had come to pass. I only how I felt in those curcial minutes as our lives were forever changing, my heart goes out to The Wards, what I experienced more than what I ever want to go thru again... I can't imagine how they are doing it, heartbreaking is all I can say.

My thoughts have been with them since the news broke, I feel so bad for them, having just gone thru something so freaky similar not that long ago... nothing can be said that will change any of it, unfortunately!

I feel extremely fortunate to have my Father/Son team still here, racing & doing what we love, we are the lucky ones... someone was watching over us that night, as I look back on how differently the results could have been I also realize some of us aren't so lucky!

Chaplin Dave was there for us, he knew we aren't the most religous group of individuals, he helped lift us up when we were down & reveled in the laughter when we got positive information from the doctors. I mention him in this as he & I have become friends since all this took place. I hear he could us use some positive thinking & prayers going out to him. I hope the Wards have a fellow like Dave to lean on in the difficult times ahead for the Ward Family. They both are in my thoughts at this time.

We all must be thankful for what we have... it can turn on a dime!

• Like 10

Bill,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Bruce Sweeney