Sign in to follow this  

Judging from crowd numbers I would say that more fans agree with me then not. Unless a radical change is instituted then I would say modified racing is destined for a one race a week tour type deal at best.

Oh... the reason I originally jumped in is because the term... "OLD SCHOOL" was being misused!

You have no way to substantiate that the reason crowds are low is because of the looks of the cars

• Like 1

Yes I do... just talk to anyone over 40 and the majority don't like where modified racing has gone.

Also... the claim that there is a substantial difference between the different chassis makes is just not true. When you measure up various makes you will find that all in all the mounting points are only slightly different. They are all built to basically act and perform a certain way and that has breed a generation of cars that all do the same thing the same way ... "BORING"

The bodies are just indicative of the (no thinking outside the box & follow the flock) mentality of the modern buy it and follow the set up chart racer.

• Like 1

I dont know but I think DIRT tour has been very good this year Sheppard ...Decker...DJ...Hearn...Rudolf...with alota rain outs...theres only so much you can do because of rule book weght % ect....I think racing has been very good this year with a ways to go.....theres 10 cars anyways who can win Syracuse ....Ive spent small fortune running there so i think I know a little ......post needs some spice from present +past owners drivers....

Yes I do... just talk to anyone over 40 and the majority don't like where modified racing has gone.

Also... the claim that there is a substantial difference between the different chassis makes is just not true. When you measure up various makes you will find that all in all the mounting points are only slightly different. They are all built to basically act and perform a certain way and that has breed a generation of cars that all do the same thing the same way ... "BORING"

The bodies are just indicative of the (no thinking outside the box & follow the flock) mentality of the modern buy it and follow the set up chart racer.

If modified body rules all looking the same keeps folks away from their races, how come late models and sprint cars all looking the same (and have been longer than modifieds have) don't keep crowds away from their races?

Go to the Knoxville 410 Nationals or World 100 sometime....
  • Like 5

I'm over 40( just a few months) and I will agree the late 80's bodies were my favorite. I didn't get to see the coupes and pintos. However if you watch any race with the "this is boring cause the cars look the same" attitude, your destined to be disappointed. I also agree with rabbit that the current generation is making the most out of what is available. All you can do is enjoy each race for what it is.
  • Like 1

Judging from crowd numbers I would say that more fans agree with me then not. Unless a radical change is instituted then I would say modified racing is destined for a one race a week tour type deal at best.

Oh... the reason I originally jumped in is because the term... "OLD SCHOOL" was being misused!

I think there are many other factors contributing to the trend in crowd numbers. I doubt the current form of car is driving anyone away from the sport. 

As far as the term "old school" being misused, you're also incorrect. Danny's cars are referred to as "old school" because of the resurrection of his old paint scheme on the car. They dubbed the first one "old school" when they built it. It has nothing to do with the cars being raced.

• Like 3

I believe that the biggest factor in fewer seats filled at weekly tracks is Money!!  Most people I used to go with or meet at Races say that they just can't afford gate and concession prices 2 or 3 times a week anymore, so are going maybe once a week or just wait for larger specials..

I'm "over 40", and while I enjoyed the coupes,coaches, etc., I still go weekly, and it's not because of the different body styles of the 4cylinder or street stock class. It's for the "800hp and the grace of God"!
  • Like 1

Where did the fans go.. same place the cars did... Its not todays current cars that are the issue.. when we get 70 of them in the same place at the same time we have a hell of a crowd... Ill bet if you got 70 cars to show up to Syracuse there would be fist fights over hotel rooms and brawls over camping spaces... So is the problem the appearance? Or the fact guys we revere as innovators like Kenny Weld couldnt look past winning to see what they were in fact doing was KILLING THE SPORT???

You know I had the same thought. Seeing the cars in the AARN with sail panels looks terrible, but last year when I went to FMP for the Super Nationals they grew on me and are pretty cool. I kinda like them now.

Dito '''''''THE ONLY THING I DONT LIKE ARE SAIL PANELS

• Like 1

"OLD SCHOOL"!!!

Boys, I'm sorry but this is not "old school".... Every "chassis" looks exactly the same as the next chassis. Every "body" looks EXACTLY the same as the next body. The only difference is in the graphics design on the bodies. That's flat out BORING!

In the real "OLD SCHOOL" days of the Cuse, there always was a lot of anticipation leading up to the event. You knew that there would be a bevy of brand new chassis or re-worked proven chassis to see. In a forty car field there might be 25 or 30 distinctly different chassis with many equally different chassis and suspension geometry ideas being put to the test. As for bodies... You had Gremlins, pinto's, Mustangs and many more styles all with distinct shapes, cuts, widths, lengths, and drops. The first morning of SD week the "open haulers" lined up at the gate and you would get your first close up look at who had what. It was truly a special time as you would spend as much time that first day looking at all the competitors cars as you would in your own pit. You literally could walk through the pit area and with a few exceptions never see (2) cars that were close to the same thing.

The boring reality now is that each and every car is virtually a duplicate of every other car. There are absolutely no secrets and therefore no anticipation as to seeing what's new and special! You can literally stay home and play with a graphics design program and get the same effect (though that would be as boring also).

I submit that the term "OLD SCHOOL" should never be used on anything post dating 1984...

You hit the nail on the head. Great Post!!  As I've said for the past few years...Cars of today are Sears Sheds. And even though I do vinyl lettering, I still prefer the way I used to letter cars years ago with a brush and a airbrush.  There's not many of us artist left that still use OLD SCHOOL ways of lettering. Kids today don't even know what One Shot and a lettering Quill are. They just plug it in, turn it on and use the fills disc for backgrounds and hit print. Some lettering shops get so crazy, that you can't even read what's on a car or make out the number.  As far as bodies...I miss the day of the coupes and Gremlins, etc. Cars had personality.  I couldn't wait to go to a Springtime car show or to Super Dirt Week to see the latest designs and paint jobs. Now I could care less about whats there. It's all been done, been there, seen that. "yawn"

Then look forward to seeing Eddie Marshall's BigBlock- ALWAYS hand lettered! the only vinyl on his car are the contingent stickers dirt gives them!

Bringing this topic back on track. 

Here's an updated Billy V: 

[attachment=5818:247787_636293859825352_4459081907240066510_n.jpg]

• Like 3

Jeremie Corcoran's Big Block: 

[attachment=5821:10155953_10202892249922944_3018571546653370368_n.jpg]

• Like 5

AHHH...open your eyes!!!hahaha...to much dirt in them today from fulton...or all those labatts kickin in!!! :beer:  

• Like 1

ALL BORING... ALL THE TIME!

Then go be bored elsewhere, ya troll! Just about every post you have made has been in a negative light about the very sport and division we love. So much money, time, sweat, and INGENUITY is invested that these teams deserve a little more respect. I understand you are entitled to your opinion but, man, get off the negative crap already! We all have seen your posts. Something positive would be welcome.
  • Like 19

Sean don't get me wrong but I guess it depends on the person looking at it Cuz I can read the number just fine
  • Like 1