Just curious if anybodys seen or heard of Fonda tearing up the track for the new clay? They were gonna start the 22nd have they started? Just curious. Cant wait for 2015!

They we're grading the old surface a couple days ago. I would think they would have dug it up with a plow so the new clay would mix in and bind with the old?

I had heard at one point they were going to bring in either Reclamation, or similar equipment after the clay was there...if thats true, it would definitely explain the lack of prepping the hard pack... and with this weather, probably better to not disturb that, last thing they need is a fleet of trucks stuck axle deep in the very clay they are bringing in.

They could be taking the old dirt out, kinda hard to tell. But I would think they would take a lot of the old dirt out then put down the new stuff.

I just hope Matt doesn't have the rough track problem like this year. The last month he had the track so good, and now getting new clay (which it does need), just hope he doesn't have problems with the new surface

Matty D knows what to do. Give him time. The track made huge strides in just 1 year from where it was. Can't wait till 2015.
  • Like 2

They could be taking the old dirt out, kinda hard to tell. But I would think they would take a lot of the old dirt out then put down the new stuff.

I just hope Matt doesn't have the rough track problem like this year. The last month he had the track so good, and now getting new clay (which it does need), just hope he doesn't have problems with the new surface

The old stuff...or the surface that is there now is mostly river bed and large rocks. A good base for drainage. If you look at the old pictures of Fonda the track used to be at least 3 feet higher than it is now. Especially on the bottom grooves in the turns.  They can add a lot of clay and probably won't get back to what it once was. I'm pretty sure Roger will have that track in nice shape come spring. It has all winter to set.

They didn't put down as much as I would have thought they we're going to.   It's all graded and looks ready for racing.

• Like 1

2500 Cubic yards of dirt. That's 3 football fields wide and long, 1 ft in depth. That's a lot of freaking dirt

They didn't put down as much as I would have thought they we're going to.   It's all graded and looks ready for racing.

I know they brought trailer load after trailer load in for 3 -4 days straight. I also think they added most of it to the turns and blended the straits in. Looks great and looks like a good clay content.

Hopefully its fast, smooth and racey!

I know they brought trailer load after trailer load in for 3 -4 days straight. I also think they added most of it to the turns and blended the straits in. Looks great and looks like a good clay content.

• Like 1

All I ask for Christmas is to let the Mods run Drag Rubber (lol), Man I miss them days.

If 2500 Cubic Yards is correct, here's what I came up with. One could put down a new surface 9.5 " deep by 30 ft. wide around a distance of .5 miles.  I am wondering if an average width of 30 ' is correct ? Perhaps the turns are wider and the straights are narrower ? Also, would you lay more down in the corners and less on the straights ?  Anyway, how can one complain much about Fonda when you consider the buck$ that they have spent.  A win situation for everyone..

• Like 1

I don't know the exact number but I do know it was a lot. Hope Dirtmod55 is right. I also know they brought in quite a bit of asphalt millings for the pit area. That will look good once some sun and heat  gets to it.

here's what I came up with...a new surface 9.5 " deep by 30 ft. wide around ...  I am wondering if an average width of 30 ' is correct ? Perhaps the turns are wider and the straights are narrower ?

Devil's Bowl's new dirt track is supposedly 50-60 feet wide in the corners, with the straightaways at 60-80 feet wide.

On Google maps Fonda measures around 60 ft wide most of the way around except for being a little bit narrower in front of the grandstands, and wider in turn 4.

With Fonda being 60 ' wide, here's my latest calculations.  If one put  down a foot of  clay it  would amount to 5,866 cubic yards. A 10 wheeler dump truck can haul about 12 yds., or 488 truck loads. That seems like a lot to me. Perhaps they don't average 12 " of clay. Maybe some parts of the track require less that other areas. I also have wondered how much dirt/clay leaves the truck with all of the dust blowing around during the races. I would think that you are slowly losing your surface as time goes by ?   

Did a quick convert on here, and 900ftx900ftx1ft came out to be 2500 cubic yards.

With Fonda being 60 ' wide, here's my latest calculations.  If one put  down a foot of  clay it  would amount to 5,866 cubic yards. A 10 wheeler dump truck can haul about 12 yds., or 488 truck loads. That seems like a lot to me. Perhaps they don't average 12 " of clay. Maybe some parts of the track require less that other areas. I also have wondered how much dirt/clay leaves the truck with all of the dust blowing around during the races. I would think that you are slowly losing your surface as time goes by ?   

• Like 1

Did a quick convert on here, and 900ftx900ftx1ft came out to be 2500 cubic yards.

With Fonda being 60 ' wide, here's my latest calculations. If one put down a foot of clay it would amount to 5,866 cubic yards. A 10 wheeler dump truck can haul about 12 yds., or 488 truck loads. That seems like a lot to me. Perhaps they don't average 12 " of clay. Maybe some parts of the track require less that other areas. I also have wondered how much dirt/clay leaves the truck with all of the dust blowing around during the races. I would think that you are slowly losing your surface as time goes by ?

Skierpilot's calculations are correct (even if his dump trucks might be a little small) but how are you getting 2500 cy? 900 x 900 x 1 = 810,000 cf. There are 27 cf per cy so 810,000 / 27 = 30,000 cy.