Just curious on like Sheppard, Ward, Decker, guys that race for a living for car owners. Whats there percentage of winnings that they get after a night of racing? Like it Sheppard wins at CMP I'd assume that's $2,000, how much does he get and the car owner? Or like if he wins a $10,000 race? I was just always curious

Jake probably knows best and I think there all a little different but I've always heard around 30 - 40 % 

Some numbers I've heard range in the 40 to 60 % of winnings. But that was for a couple top guys, Im not sure what some of the others make.

Yeah I'm just wondering. So 40% of $2,200 at Fonda is Varin wins, he'll get about $880

I believe the purse at CMP is 1500 to win but i could be wrong on that. Regardless, doesn't really affect your point or question at all.

• Like 1

Great ? but add this to the ?. Now what about their travel to and from the Track if they are running a Series? Entry fee's, Etc. who pays that???If you think about it 40% doesn't go very far at the end of the day. HELL, I don't understand how the Owners do it......It is truly their hobby and passion!!!!!! Tractor, Stacker, Car(s), Tires, Parts, and all of the misc. stuff.....

40+ percent is for the top tier of drivers. By top tier I mean one of the top (2 or 3) drivers at a track. The guy that has proven he can come from the rear consistently and NOT destroy the equipment in the process.

Everyone else gets much less and all they way down to: your just lucky to have a ride!

As for expenses... Maybe for a week at Syracuse, but ordinarily it's your responsibility to get to and into the track.

Great ? but add this to the ?. Now what about their travel to and from the Track if they are running a Series? Entry fee's, Etc. who pays that???If you think about it 40% idoesn't go very far at the end of the day. HELL, I don't understand how the Owners do it......It is truly their hobby and passion!!!!!! Tractor, Stacker, Car(s), Tires, Parts, and all of the misc. stuff..

THATS WHY THERE'S NOT MANY CAR OWNERS LEFT , AND SOME TRACKS LOWERING PURSES OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS DOESN'T HELP EITHER.

• Like 5

You'de be surprised how many drivers don't get paid anything and put $$ into the owners car. Still cheaper than doing it yourself.

• Like 2

You'de be surprised how many drivers don't get paid anything and put $$ into the owners car. Still cheaper than doing it yourself.

where r they ???
Haha, if he names someone will they be the new driver of the 1j?
  • Like 1

while Im no Bobby Varin or any other big name driver....and never had a big name owner like Jake either...lol..I have had a cpl rides in other peoples cars over the years..I never got any $$ unless we won...I wanted the owner to put it back in the car...new tires, shocks or whatever..that's the way I wanted it..I even payed my own way in and for one owner even payed for fuel and tires the whole year

while Im no Bobby Varin or any other big name driver....and never had a big name owner like Jake either...lol..I have had a cpl rides in other peoples cars over the years..I never got any $$ unless we won...I wanted the owner to put it back in the car...new tires, shocks or whatever..that's the way I wanted it..I even payed my own way in and for one owner even payed for fuel and tires the whole year

Exactly what I'd like to find!

Well... Me and everyone who ever raced and got out I suppose.

where r they ???

You could always  put the ride up the highest bidder.....................................   doesn't mean though you'll be as fast as now.

Bad deal all around ....for driver best to drive for someone as a job for there Company so if you get hurt you get workmans comp plus health benefits.....Johnny THe Jet fireball at Fonda was scary....some drivers may take less % if they can swing deal like this ......Almost impossible for owner to break even......some top team owners use for tax rite off plus enjoyment....usually fun part is short lived......motors are team owner killers......sport needs guys like Jake they just love the sport or did at one time....without car owners there is no sport at a high level ....payoff is same or lower than 20 years ago.....gotta contain cost but hard to get players to agree.....what owner at Port is doing is awesome he also is car owner......but I think he makes a living in other business

some drivers also get weekly paychecks as well as a percentage if they work on the car all week long of course that is the big name guys like you said it also varies with the percentage I know at one point some of them were getting a certain percentage for wins and certain percentage for anything else which personally I think is a great way to do it gives the driver more incentive than he already has for winning. also I have heard that some places that have full time crew chiefs that get a small percentage on wins as well not sure how accurate that is but that is what I had heard.

I hated to hear a driver bitch about how cheap the owner was when he wouldn't buy new tires every week for a team that ran 1 race a week at our local track. the drivers only expense was paying to get in the track.

• Like 1