GreenWhiteCheckers

If we could change anything about NAPA Super DIRT Week, what would it be?

Nobody wants to hear my opinion...

have at it miller

I remember a time not all that long ago when all there was to do the entire week of Super DIRT Week was Syracuse. Syracuse was our Daytona 500 for Modifieds and promoters treated it like such. Scheduling anything during that week would be a focus diversion for teams and fans alike. It's true, not every Modified team races at Syracuse, I know that. But when fans have options, some of them will consider them. Lately, they choose a satellite event closer to home because they have that option. The satellite shows act as a wedge. 

If all there was to do during Super DIRT Week was Syracuse, I think more people would be in the stands, and prices would come down because of it. 

Like I said, nobody wants to hear my opinion.

• Like 3

Prices for the fans would come down, or prices for the car owners and teams?

I definetly see what you are saying Bob. Even before Brewerton and Weedsport jumped on the wagon. My favorite race of the week was always the 358 race Friday night at the Wheels. I can't remember a time before there was not racing on Friday and Saturday at Rolling Wheels. The way you here some of these fans talk though. Saying that there is no tracks large enough to hold all the people that camp and are in the grandstand at Syracuse, kinda makes me wonder why the prices are so high to begin with. Its been some years since I have camped up there. But sounds to me like they are doing fairly well.

With the highest count for campers this year, why would they change anything? why lower the ticket price? if they move this race, i would not attend the new location. we go to see old friends, have fun, let loose and watch some good racing.

USAC was better then i expected. 

I would make this a full week, add the ESS and WoO late models to the mile. get some bands to play and have more activities for the fans.

as for the race teams, Billy won last year, he does not have a big budget, does not have a million dollar  stacker trailer nor a huge team. teams don't need to spend what they do to run the mile.

we race at Cornwall, a few years back , there was maybe 2 stackers in the pits, now there is over 10 at any given sunday night. do sportsman teams need these huge trailers with back up cars?? who's to blame for the sky rocketing cost of racing?

• Like 2

RW has quite a bit of land that just needs to be cleared.  That could be used for all the campers that would allegedly need to be accounted for.  If that still isn't enough, then Weedsport is about 5 miles away and that can easily be opened for surplus camping.  Just run shuttle buses back and forth during the day.

I feel confident in saying that the racing at RW would be better than anything I have witnessed at Syracuse over the years.

• Like 1

I have been going to Syracuse every year since 1979. Each and every winner comes to and out of victory lane saying "I won at Syracuse!".
You can hold a big event somewhere else and say it has the resources to pay close or the same purse it still will not have the mystique of winning at Syracuse.
There are other marquee events and attended well. I've been to the World Finals, I still haven't heard one driver say "Wow, I just won at the World Finals."
That's not to diminish the event, it easily out draws Syracuse but it's just not the same.
  • Like 9

I have been going to Syracuse every year since 1979. Each and every winner comes to and out of victory lane saying "I won at Syracuse!".
You can hold a big event somewhere else and say it has the resources to pay close or the same purse it still will not have the mystique of winning at Syracuse.
There are other marquee events and attended well. I've been to the World Finals, I still haven't heard one driver say "Wow, I just won at the World Finals."
That's not to diminish the event, it easily out draws Syracuse but it's just not the same.

Good post.  Funny I have been going since 1979 also.  But this is very true!!!

Bring the camping price back down..went from $105 ( 5.00 handling fee ) up to $138. When you are a race team buying several
camping sites, it is a lot to come up with in December. Add all the pit passes/grandstand tickets parking passes, It is in
the thousands !!!

I know bringing food/drink into grandstands is the fairgrounds rule, but it sucks. Too expensive.

taking super dirt week away from Syracuse would be like holding the masters golf tourney somewhere else besides Augusta National in Georgia or holding the Wimbeldon tennis tournament elsewhere or holding the Kentucky Derby at another venue  or even holding the INdy 500  somewhere else  although the product might be actually better its still the prestige of winning at those hallowed and storied places

• Like 3