Sign in to follow this  
Spudman

DIRTs added rule pertaining to roll cage

Can someone in the know explain the what, where , why and how's about this rule change.  Did someone get hurt by not having this protection?  Maybe it has been an issue for a while and they are finally getting to adding it ??   Thanks for any help on this.  Maybe a picture putting the bar in it with hidden lines.  Just trying to understand the subject.

• Like 1

http://www.dirtcarump.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/2014ModifiedBulletin310312014.pdf

2014 Rule(s) Bulletin
World Racing Group Inc. * 7575 West Winds Blvd Suite D * Concord, NC 28027
704-795-7223
Bulletin: 2014 – 3 – October 31, 2014
The following rule amendments are in regard to the following division, the DIRTcar Big Block and/or Super DIRTcar Big Block, DIRTcar 358 Modified and/or DIRTcar 358 Modified Series, DIRTcar Sportsman and/or DIRTcar Sportsman Modified Series:
15.0-A Super DIRTcar Series / DIRTcar Big Block Modified
15.0-B DIRTcar 358 Modifieds
15.0-C DIRTcar Sportsman Modified
ANY CAR, TEAM AND/OR DRIVER THAT DOES NOT MEET THESE SPECIFICATIONS AND/OR EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS WILL BE SUBJECT TO PENALTIES AS DETERMINED BY THE Super DIRTcar and/or DIRTcar and/or World Racing Group OFFICIALS. Any new components, including engine components, body designs, frame designs and/or components of any type utilized in competition must be approved by World Racing Group, Super DIRTcar and DIRTcar Officials prior to being introduced into competition.
15.9 Roll Cage
F.) MANDATORY Frame/Roll Cage update by January 1, 2015: A piece of tubing, a minimum of 1-1/4” in outside diameter and .-095”-inches in thickness, must be installed vertically and must extend through the car into the bottom frame rail or extend back to the union at the top of the door and rear main hoop joint. The tubing must be installed in a manner that does not impede the driver exiting the cockpit. The tubing must be mounted a minimum of 9”-inches and a maximum of 12”-inches on the roof bar from the existing rear roll cage hoop. This must be installed symmetrically on both sides of the roll cage. Existing cars must be retrofitted with this piece of tubing.
Joe Skotnicki,

I didn't take pics but all the new cars at the parts peddler show have these bars installed. I saw Derak and outlaw taking pics all day but I'm not sure they got any of the bars in question

Question???   Did I read it right that all older chassis "must" be retrofitted?

"exsisting cars must be retrofitted with this piece of tubing"

Are Teo, Bicknell & Troyer offering these kits?

I guess they will soon!

Question???   Did I read it right that all older chassis "must" be retrofitted?

"exsisting cars must be retrofitted with this piece of tubing"

Are Teo, Bicknell & Troyer offering these kits?

I have a 2013 troyer car.. 10 races old, for sale If anyone is interested. You do the update.. just have to grind off the powder coat I just had done and weld that shit in...

When I heard about the additional bars I believed it to be just for all new cars built after Jan 1, 2015, I must have missed the last clause in the rule change.

If someone could ask at the Parts Peddler show & get a clarification & post it, that would be great, also are the insallation kits are available & how much $$$ from the chassis makers.

I guess you can always fill the left side one with lead before you put it on & increase the left side percentage...LOL

Chris, remember the old Kneisel and Castle cars had similar bars. I had a bar like that added to my IMCA Mod after I ended up with vinyl on my headrest.

I was told it was to stop another car from ending up in your cockpit if your upside down and get hit.

I asked Troyer about the curved support. It was explained to me that the curved bar will obsorb more of the impact. Apparently with a straight support the cage is more likely to brake at the weld while with the curved support it will bend and stay intact. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Teo is the only chassis I saw with straight tube in this area, Troyer,Bicknell and HigFab all had a slight bend.

I remember having to add bars like this back in the late 80's when I raced. Better to buy the insurance before the fire. Generally stuff like this happens after someone is hurt bad or killed in racing.  I feel DIRT got this one right! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Thanks DC,  This is exactly what I was looking for.  Looks like they are making both sides the same.  Was this bar left out originally for ease of getting in and out of the car ???

Thanks DC,  This is exactly what I was looking for.  Looks like they are making both sides the same.  Was this bar left out originally for ease of getting in and out of the car ???

No.. the new bar is inside the old bars.. kinda closes the driver area up a bit more..

I think the trade off of getting out of the car a little harder is worth it compared to getting hit when one is upside down. The new bar doesn't look like it will be that much more difficult to exit the car quickly.

I recall that Walt Shubert, who ran the B4 modified at OCFS, had these in his cars.  He left racing in the '70's.

I remember having to add bars like this back in the late 80's when I raced. Better to buy the insurance before the fire. Generally stuff like this happens after someone is hurt bad or killed in racing.  I feel DIRT got this one right! :thumbsup:

:( Wish that were the case on the asphalt side.

RIP JBIII...