Sign in to follow this  
J. Downing

Heaven Gains another Legend

Another of our racing family has sadly left us. A hero to many, a legend to many, all around, a great man who was likable, approachable, and touched a lot of lives! Whether it was Bondo, Silver Bullet, Robert or just Bob, Bob Savoie, Your in a better place now, thank you for the memories, until we meet again, Fly High!!! RIP Robert Savoie!!!

• Like 5

For those wondering. By Bob's request there will be no calling hours or Funeral Service. 

Bob just asks that you keep him in your thoughts and memories.

RIP my Friend.

• Like 2

Some will see it as blasphemy, but Bob Savoie was my Jack Johnson. When others woke up on Saturday mornings excited to go to Fonda that night, I was running to the paperbox to see if the Bullet got past superman the night before at Malta.
I got to go up and down the road some with Bob and our gang of merry misfits. From Afton to the Bowl, and a few points in between. I don't believe I've ever laughed as much as I did in those days. With the laughing there was always learning, and a lot of "do as I say, not as I do". lol
He always preached to us to take what the car would give, and always be thinking about why it wouldn't give more. He was also always pounding into our heads that racers don't fight. Never chance hurting your car by retaliating, and never go into another driver's pit angry.
One night at Fonda in my street stock, I lined up on a competitors left rear and teed off. I had been roughed up pretty good and wasn't gonna take it anymore. When I returned to the pits, Bob wouldn't even look at me. Through the week the only thing I heard from him was how much of an idiot I was.
The following week at Fonda, Bob got tore up in a deal he thought was dirty. When he got in the pits he was out of the car in a flash, and half way across pit road before we knew it. By the time I caught up I saw one quick jab and a bunch of groaning. As he marched past me on the way back he said "do as I say Bucky my boy, not as I do".
If you knew him for a day you probably have a dozen stories. This is one of a few that are fit for print. lol
Above all else, Bob should be remembered as a fun & great friend. And one of the best to strap into a northeast dirt modified. He always gave 100% and always got everything he could from a racecar.
Godspeed Bullet. You'll never be forgotten...
  • Like 9

I had so many  with Bob  its hard to imagine him gone . From all the wins to the track championships on the CVRA circuit to just hanging at the garage. Thanks for all you did for me in my early racing days to just being there anytime I needed him. You will be truly missed my friend. Godspeed Robert ! Prayers to everyone in the family !!!!

• Like 1

Bob was my big brother. As many of you have said, we have our stories that were experienced at the race track.in the shop,or traveling to the track. During his racing career, he went from running on a shoe string budget which was funded by my dad and Bob, to getting the opportunity to run for some really good car owners. Bob took advantage of his opportunities and made the best of them. I know most people talk about the kendall oil years, but the ones that i remember was when Bob drove his 63 Magnum car and when he drove for our brothers Dick and Roger. One of the best compliments that I remember was when we were traveling the 358 small block series and Teddy Lamb said that where ever he went , he always was waiting for Bob to come through the pack and make his move for the lead. I have seen my brother win many races, from Devils Bowl, Afton, Utica-Rome, Fonda, Malta, AirBorne and a few others, to name a few, and I know that someday I will get the chance to meet up with him and watch him race one more time. THANKS FOR MANY GREAT MEMORIES BOBBO! I WILL SEE YOU AGAIN SOMEDAY!

Little Lou/Hose/Ron
  • Like 5