Sign in to follow this  
Doug Zupan

Hoosier Tires in 2015 at Utica-Rome for Mods and 602s

Quite surprised that no one in here is talking about the change at Utica-Rome Speedway for 2015 to Hoosier Tires in the Modifieds and 602-Sportsman. See below:

MODIFIEDS AND 602 SPORTSMAN WILL BE ON HOOSIER TIRES IN 2015 AT UTICA-ROME SPEEDWAY

VERNON, NY- Since 2005, American Racer has been the official tire for the Modifieds at the Utica-Rome Speedway but in 2015 that will change.  Hoosier Tire will be the tire brand for the Modifieds and 602 Sportsman for the upcoming season.

Since the announcement in mid November of their intention to purchase the Utica-Rome Speedway, Bill and Kim Shea have been hard at work to continue the tradition that outgoing owner Gene Cole set forth and make the Vernon oval a destination for drivers and fan alike.  Going back to the traditional body style in the Modifieds was their first step and now going to the Hoosier will align the speedway with other tracks in the region, allowing drivers to go between tracks with few changes.

“As a car owner, I appreciate the maintenance that goes into these cars when racing on multiple nights,” stated Bill Shea. “By putting ourselves on the same tire as the other tracks in the area, we hope to make it easier for drivers and crews to give us a try on Sunday nights.”  The compound that will be allowed weekly is the D300 tire which is used at the majority of the other tracks that use Hoosiers.

“Us switching to Hoosier has nothing to do with the product or service provided by Fred Woodward and the rest of the staff at Lias Tire,” continued Bill.  “It is because of the environment we are in now with the tracks nearest to us and where we draw many of our weekly competitors as they are all on Hoosiers now.  Fred and Matt Brandle have been great to deal with and the American Racer was a great program to be a part of but I feel the change was necessary to bolster our weekly program.”

Despite the change in Modifieds, and the fact that the 602 Sportsman are also on Hoosiers, the open Sportsman division will remain on American Racers.  With every other track that runs an open Sportsman program on the American Racer tire, this will allows competitors in this division to travel with little changes to their cars.  The Pro/Street Stock division will be allowed to run the American Racer Pro Stock or Hoosier DIRTcar Pro Stock tires on a weekly basis.

For more information, please log on to www.uticaromespeedway.com or call the speedway office at (315)829-4557. All questions concerning rules can be directed to Bernie Lukas at (315)271-3068.

• Like 2

I don't get to Utica Rome more than 3 or 4 times a season but when I read they were going to Hoosiers and what new owner Bill Shea had to say, I was pretty impressed. Would think its a good thing for racing to get all these tracks on the same tire.

• Like 1

As much as I hate Hoosiers, this actually makes sense! Mr. Shea is obviously thinking of the racers as he has allowed the open sportsman to stay on Racers. An owner who actually "gets it". I wish UR all the best this year. Guess I can lift my boycott now. Lol.
  • Like 3

I also thought it was odd that nobody started a thread. I will be there as much as possible next year and I am in total support of the tire switch.

Don't the teams that race there end up losing a lot of money on this deal? They were getting money back on each tire plus the American racer cup point fund
  • Like 2

YOU HAD TO KNOW THAT WOULD STOP BILL IS NO MULTI MILLIONARE AND HAS TO PAY FOR THE PLACE. THEY WILL GAIN CARS BY GOIN WITH HOOSIERS AND IN TURN WILL KEEP THE PLACE OPEN.

• Like 3

I am hoping you are right Jake. But I don't think switching tires is going to make a great big difference in car count. Maybe after an occasional rainout somewhere?

I just don't think the tire is a big a deal as it's made out. Some of the teams that don't want to buy a different tire to race at Utica are probably the same teams that have no problem bolting them on for a RoC, Deyo,, Grit or other specials. I'm thinking the track might pick up an additional car here or there. But If a team plans on running every week they have to buy tires regardless of what brand . Its probably a bigger deal for 602's than the mods. Most of the mod teams that plan on racing multiple nights a week already have American Racers. As a fan I hope you are right Jake and the change brings more cars. As far as track prep, I kinda like slicker tracks. But things will most certainly have to change. Maybe a driver could chime in but, the American Racers have more grip than Hoosier correct?

For a driver to show up here and there to race at Utica they need a NASCAR license dont they? If so drivers are not going to go just for a race or 2 when they have to pay what $125-$150 for a license?

2014 season NASCAR licenses were $200 for Modifieds and $100 for support divisions. Temporary licenses (and all drivers must have either a full season or temporary license) were $50 for Modifieds and $25 for support divisions. Temps are good for 15 days and can only be bought twice. When it's all said and done, no matter what type of license you buy, it's quite a small amount for 1 million in insurance coverage which you won't get anyplace else.

Quite honestly, the NASCAR program is fantastic and I think the drivers that participated in 2014 were quite surprised and happy in the end.

as I mentioned elsewhere, Mat Williamson is considering running Utica on Sundays specifically because of the tire change.  And that's a 4 hour drive for him.  we'll have to wait and see if they actually do it but certainly it's got some guys thinking about it.

Doug, has there been any discussion of what the point fund will pay for 602's along with a purse payout.