Sign in to follow this  
MikeMallett

Stewart Friesen Gives Up Utica-Rome Title Opportunity

Found this interesting that Stewart Friesen is giving up an opportunity to win the Utica-Rome Speedway title.  Saw this on his FB page today.  Took home over $37,000 last year just in point money alone.

UPCOMING WEEKEND RACE SCHEDULE

Saturday - Fonda (Parks No. 1)
Sunday - Weedsport (Emery No. 33 Sprint WoO, Cullen No. 1WGC Mod)
Tuesday - Accord (Daley No. 44 STSS)
Wednesday - Canandaigua (Siri No. 51 SDS)

Isn't NASCAR points based on a certain number of shows?  So he could lose out on U-R points but still contend for NASCAR points?  

Such a shame to see him go. Time for him to move on and find someone else who will suck up to him.

• Like 1

That would be the state title but the Utica-Rome title is based on weekly points.  He could win the state and $12,000 if he finds a way to get to 18 shows.  He's giving up a chance at the $10,000 UR title.  Last year he had to run a pavement car at Airborne to win the state title.

Looking at the points he'd need the top 10 pretty much to agree not to go because they are all so close.  Don't think making an agreement with Matt would help all that much.

1 9h Matt Sheppard 199

2 42p Pat Ward 198

3 99L Larry Wight 184  

4 7z Erick Rudolph 182

5 1wgc Stewart Friesen 162

6 33 Mike Mahaney 161

7 32c Vic Coffey 156

8 19 Tim Fuller 154

9 16 Mike Bowman 144

10 27j Danny Johnson 132

Was he given any time off for his run in with Larry?  It would be silly of him not to run with the outlaws if that is ultimately where he wants to be.

I have been kind of wondering if Matt might run Weedsport regardless of points too? Wondering this even before Stew's announcement. Wouldn't totally surprise me if Wight, Rudolph,or possibly Fuller went to Weedsport either.
  • Like 3

He has a good opportunity to run a few times with the World of Outlaws! That towel he is throwing in already has five consecutive titles on it Dirtmods9s! lol Besides Matt's car owner is paying him show up money! So it all evens out and everyone is happy!! LMAO 

• Like 2

Not entirely sure of the point structure at U/R. But with about 20 more modified races this year ,wouldn't it still be possible for Stew to win the championship if he missed only this week?

Darn he won't be there, oh, forgot I wernt going anyway, was staying home to watch ESPN.

Found this interesting that Stewart Friesen is giving up an opportunity to win the Utica-Rome Speedway title.  Saw this on his FB page today.  Took home over $37,000 last year just in point money alone.

UPCOMING WEEKEND RACE SCHEDULE
Saturday - Fonda (Parks No. 1)
Sunday - Weedsport (Emery No. 33 Sprint WoO, Cullen No. 1WGC Mod)
Tuesday - Accord (Daley No. 44 STSS)
Wednesday - Canandaigua (Siri No. 51 SDS)

Mr mallet do you forget that Brett Hearn won the title at Lebanon valley last year with missing a race for his daughters graduation...it's not over yet...but go MATT and could we see matt in a troyer asphalt modified to gain nascar points?that would be very interesting.

Maybe SF is trying to see if he can be run well against WoO if he was thinking of moving up ........be good time for it on small track.........I'm sure there is a reason behind it.....should be huge show.....

I think it's cool that he is doing this. If he wins it would be huge! I'd imagine weekly racing can get boring sometimes and this is probly a nice way to break it up.

He's not out of the points but passing Sheppard, Ward, Wight, Rudolph, Fuller etc after spotting them a race makes it virtually impossible.  The last two years Sheppard and Friesen have been separated by less than 10 points at season's end.

• Like 1

He has a good opportunity to run a few times with the World of Outlaws! That towel he is throwing in already has five consecutive titles on it Dirtmods9s! lol Besides Matt's car owner is paying him show up money! So it all evens out and everyone is happy!! LMAO 

Show up money that's hard to believe

• Like 1

He's not out of the points but passing Sheppard, Ward, Wight, Rudolph, Fuller etc after spotting them a race makes it virtually impossible.  The last two years Sheppard and Friesen have been separated by less than 10 points at season's end.

Not trying to hex anyone. But how many points does last place or a DNF pay? And how many points does the winner get?

If he does well in the outlaw maybe tony would hire him to drive one of his that is just collecting dust.!!!
One of the weaponized ones.

Serious question....

Should Stewart Friesen want to go full-time sprint car, could/would Doug Emery be willing to field a car for him to follow a Tour. What kind of sponsorship $$$ would they need to go out on the WoO Tour full time? I'm guessing we're talking close to a million dollars if not over correct?

Just think of the fuel cost. That alone would have to be close to 100k. What do the outlaws run like 90something races a year from coast to coast. I think your right. You'd need some major backing.

Serious question....

Should Stewart Friesen want to go full-time sprint car, could/would Doug Emery be willing to field a car for him to follow a Tour. What kind of sponsorship $$$ would they need to go out on the WoO Tour full time? I'm guessing we're talking close to a million dollars if not over correct?

Initial investment maybe, if you wanted to do it right.

There's no way Bobby Allen's team is spending that kind of dough though.

Is the Weedsport Outlaw race 10,000 to win? or 6,000? I don't see any reason Stew could not possibly win the race. He has been very competitive in the sprint car. With the 3,500 to win for mods, doing double duty is the possibility of a very good pay day.