• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guess what Super DIRT Week and Dirtmods55 have in common... They're both history. :yes   I've had enough. 

I know this is gonna sound strange.... but bear with me....   Isnt part of what makes Syracuse special, the whole fact that you have to go out of your way to run there? Special body, all kinds of ex

Syracuse was an acquired taste, not for everybody, I loved it. The history of American auto racing ran thru the place. Many of the drivers that raced there over time, where some of the all-time best.

Hey guys, did you know this is the last and final super dirt week?

Not sure if you heard, but they are tearing the grandstands down after the race.

So this is the last super dirt week.

Did you guys know?

I have split feelings on this. I am bummed Syracuse is going away, as I had a whole lot of fun up there over the years and enjoyed the pagentry of SDW, but I'm pretty excited to see what will take its place. A huge race at a track that doesn't require all the extra expensive stuff Syacuse does will almost assuredly end up having much, much better, and more diverse, competitior participation. And the racing will be a lot better.
  • Like 2

I have split feelings on this. I am bummed Syracuse is going away, as I had a whole lot of fun up there over the years and enjoyed the pagentry of SDW, but I'm pretty excited to see what will take its place. A huge race at a track that doesn't require all the extra expensive stuff Syacuse does will almost end up having much, much better, and more diverse, competitior participation. And the racing will be a lot better.

I know this is gonna sound strange.... but bear with me....

Isnt part of what makes Syracuse special, the whole fact that you have to go out of your way to run there? Special body, all kinds of extra work, tires, the surface itself is unlike any other....

The work that goes into it, shows what team is the best, what driver is the best.... Run top 5 at Canandaigua? Who cares.... But run up front at Syracuse? Now we're talkin. Get a W at Fonda? Yay. Win Syracuse? They talk about you for years.

The fact that its something out of the norm and crazy, its what makes it great.

Its why people talk about the daytona 500 winners for years, but not so much the Pepsi 400. Weeks of buildup, special cars, out of this world paint schemes, pagentry, its what makes Daytona 500 special.

Same goes for Syracuse.

You cant match that at Weedsport. Or the Wheels. Or Fonda. Or Brewerton. You can try. but you wont.

• Like 10

I have split feelings on this. I am bummed Syracuse is going away, as I had a whole lot of fun up there over the years and enjoyed the pagentry of SDW, but I'm pretty excited to see what will take its place. A huge race at a track that doesn't require all the extra expensive stuff Syacuse does will almost end up having much, much better, and more diverse, competitior participation. And the racing will be a lot better.

Isnt part of what makes Syracuse special, the whole fact that you have to go out of your way to run there? Special body, all kinds of extra work, tires, the surface itself is unlike any other....

The work that goes into it, shows what team is the best, what driver is the best.... Run top 5 at Canandaigua? Who cares.... But run up front at Syracuse? Now we're talkin. Get a W at Fonda? Yay. Win Syracuse? They talk about you for years.

Its why people talk about the daytona 500 winners for years, but not so much the Pepsi 400. Weeks of buildup, special cars, out of this world paint schemes, pagentry, its what makes Daytona 500 special.

Same goes for Syracuse.

You cant match that at Weedsport. Or the Wheels. Or Fonda. Or Brewerton. You can try. but you wont.

I don't disagree. Syracuse has a mystique all its own in short track racing. That I will definitely miss. Some of the very best times I've ever had at a race have come at the mile.

What I'm saying is that it's going to be interesting to see what's coming next.

You nailed it Greg.  I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that right or wrong, I'm gonna be there and race there this fall.  And if I'm all done racing on Friday, that's fine too, cuz I was gonna be there all weekend anyway.  The "hardcore" race fans can tear it down all they want, saying the racing sucks, etc, etc.  But stand there next to the fence and watch the Big Blocks flying past your face...it's just amazing that something so wild still happens today.  I feel the same way watching sprint time trials at Williams Grove.  It's some real gladiator kind of stuff that just isn't ordinary or safe enough for today's world, and that's something to see!

• Like 1

A big race in the beginning of October at any other track besides the Mile at Syracuse is not going to be a Super Dirt Week even if you called it that. SDW is special because of what it is and where it is. I want to win Syracuse not just because of the $50,000, but because then no matter where I go I will be known as a former Syracuse winner. It is by far the hardest race to win.

• Like 2

Sweet 16 basketball brings in 6 million in revenue and it's hailed a success, Super Dirt Week brings in 6 million+ and it's not good enough.

The Carrier Dome doesn't sit idle the other 51 weeks of the year waiting to be used one week a year.

I do think the "It'll never be the same." talk doesn't matter at this point because the decision has been made. Just like when Langhorne closed and Flemiington closed and Reading closed and a whole host of other, one of a kind, tracks closed, racing and life itself will move on. It has to because there is no other option. Maybe the future will be better and maybe it will be worse. But .there is no stopping what is going to be.

The work that goes into it, shows what team is the best, what driver is the best.... 

I don't disagree that it is something so completely different than what you see every week, and I don't disagree that you have to have your stuff together to win there.  But having said that....I don't necessarily agree with your above statement.  This isn't intended to be an insult to any of the previous winners, but in my opinion there have been winners on the Mile who have been good, solid runners elsewhere, but that's it.  You can't say that every winner up there is a legend, or was even the best car that day.  Toby Tobias lucked into a win, plain and simple.  And as great a runner as he is, Vic Coffey's first win there was also a gift as about 6 cars ran out of gas ahead of him at the end.  Carl Collis was a decent runner at Middletown and Nazareth, but yet almost won 2 races there in the mid-80's.

If results there were based solely of skill, talent, and preparation then Will Cagle would have won multiple races.  Dave Lape, Steve Paine, Joe Plazek....BILLY PAUCH for God's sake....all examples of drivers who put in the time and effort to win but it just never happened for them.  Whether people will admit it or not, luck plays a much bigger role at Syracuse than any other track these guys race on. 

• Like 2

Carl Collis was way more than a decent runner during the mid 80s at 2 tracks very similar to Syracuse. 

I would bet Collis has less than 50 career wins total and I only remember him winning one title at OCFS (when Hearn was off chasing a Busch GN career in 1985).  I can't even remember him running upstate NY other than Syracuse....

I'm not saying he wasn't talented.  But I certainly wouldn't put him on the same level as a lot of the Syracuse winners.  And that was the point I was trying to make - that Syracuse luck had a way of evening the playing field for some guys that you wouldn't normally consider as race favorites up there.  I'll be honest....in 1984 I was 13 years old, and I had never even heard of Carl Collis until I watched him almost beat Jack Johnson and win that race.

Same goes for Syracuse.

I think that's certainly how it used to be, but the minute some of the better mod drivers stopped going or did a start and park, it started to lose some luster. It's just not the same as it was in the 70s/80s/90s. At that time, it was one of if not the biggest dirt track event in the country,, now it barely causes a ripple outside New York state.

• Like 2

I'm sad at the loss of Super Dirt Week...  I'm a bit sadder that i will not be able to attend the last event . My Daughter is getting married and myself and GT will be there.  To all my racing friends enjoy it... cause after it gone we're going to miss it...

For shits and giggles, lets run the Labor Day 50 Modified Championship as well ! Give us "Moody Mile Fans" a chance at an additional race at the Fairgrounds.

• Like 3

For shits and giggles, lets run the Labor Day 50 Modified Championship as well ! Give us "Moody Mile Fans" a chance at an additional race at the Fairgrounds.

probably should of been doin that the last 20 years or so. The fourth of July fireworks show too. Maybe then we wouldn't be talking about this? The 20 dollar carload with the fireworks was my favorite because there was nothing in the infield. You could actual see the cars on the backstretch and under the lights . Fireworks were pretty good too. Labor Day used to be fun as well. Go real early hit the fair before race and then do the double on the way home with Rolling Wheels .
  • Like 4

I think the only problem with the Fair race now is the potential for a loose wheel to launch into the midway.  Not that the chance was never there before, but nowadays there's probably 200 lawyers sitting over there just waiting....

I can't believe that there's been no official acknowledgement of this from WRG.  You'd think that the marquee event of 45 years going by the wayside would have prompted some press release or special events that week.

Excuse me while I clear my throat.

Sincerely,

The Fat Lady

Why? Are you working the Glory Hole again??

• Like 2

Welp, what a shame. Been about 10 times, and haven't went in 3 years & haven't missed any of it and wont miss it when its gone either. I-88 on that Saturday is awesome!

But for all of you it bothers you & that's alright. No need to argue.

Welp, what a shame. Been about 10 times, and haven't went in 3 years & haven't missed any of it and wont miss it when its gone either. I-88 on that Saturday is awesome!

But for all of you it bothers you & that's alright. No need to argue.

Hilarious because I guarantee you posted that to get people to react.
  • Like 3