Welp, what a shame. Been about 10 times, and haven't went in 3 years & haven't missed any of it and wont miss it when its gone either. I-88 on that Saturday is awesome!

But for all of you it bothers you & that's alright. No need to argue.

Hilarious because I guarantee you posted that to get people to react.
ya think? Wasnt aware there was any argument goin on
  • Like 1
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guess what Super DIRT Week and Dirtmods55 have in common... They're both history. :yes   I've had enough. 

I know this is gonna sound strange.... but bear with me....   Isnt part of what makes Syracuse special, the whole fact that you have to go out of your way to run there? Special body, all kinds of ex

Syracuse was an acquired taste, not for everybody, I loved it. The history of American auto racing ran thru the place. Many of the drivers that raced there over time, where some of the all-time best.

Guess what Super DIRT Week and Dirtmods55 have in common...

They're both history. :yes

I've had enough. 

• Like 11

I have split feelings on this. I am bummed Syracuse is going away, as I had a whole lot of fun up there over the years and enjoyed the pagentry of SDW, but I'm pretty excited to see what will take its place. A huge race at a track that doesn't require all the extra expensive stuff Syacuse does will almost end up having much, much better, and more diverse, competitior participation. And the racing will be a lot better.

I know this is gonna sound strange.... but bear with me....

Isnt part of what makes Syracuse special, the whole fact that you have to go out of your way to run there? Special body, all kinds of extra work, tires, the surface itself is unlike any other....

The work that goes into it, shows what team is the best, what driver is the best.... Run top 5 at Canandaigua? Who cares.... But run up front at Syracuse? Now we're talkin. Get a W at Fonda? Yay. Win Syracuse? They talk about you for years.

The fact that its something out of the norm and crazy, its what makes it great.

Its why people talk about the daytona 500 winners for years, but not so much the Pepsi 400. Weeks of buildup, special cars, out of this world paint schemes, pagentry, its what makes Daytona 500 special.

Same goes for Syracuse.

You cant match that at Weedsport. Or the Wheels. Or Fonda. Or Brewerton. You can try. but you wont.
I agree completly, I think the only way you could possibly duplicate it would be to revive Nazareth and do it there.

^ Thank you.  The kid is/was obnoxious and abrasive.  LOL.  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.   :roulette:

I really hate banning people, but he doesn't play devil's advocate well and reads like he is starving for attention. There has been a discussion about him and a few others in the moderator section and what to do with him. The end of Super DIRT Week is going to be a tender subject for a bunch of us, and especially to those of us who have any interest in history. Some of the stuff he says doesn't need to be said and adding "haha's" to it is like rubbing salt in a wound.

So be it.

• Like 5

Carl Collis was way more than a decent runner during the mid 80s at 2 tracks very similar to Syracuse. 

I would bet Collis has less than 50 career wins total and I only remember him winning one title at OCFS (when Hearn was off chasing a Busch GN career in 1985).  I can't even remember him running upstate NY other than Syracuse....

I'm not saying he wasn't talented.  But I certainly wouldn't put him on the same level as a lot of the Syracuse winners.  And that was the point I was trying to make - that Syracuse luck had a way of evening the playing field for some guys that you wouldn't normally consider as race favorites up there.  I'll be honest....in 1984 I was 13 years old, and I had never even heard of Carl Collis until I watched him almost beat Jack Johnson and win that race.

I agree almost completely with your earlier post about some of the guys who have won at Syracuse. I didn't get to see Carl Collis run OCFS, because I was still going to Dorney Park on Saturday nights in the mid 1980s. But he was on top of his game in 1984 at Nazareth. It has been a long time since I looked at the all-time Nazareth win list, but IIRC the single-season win record there was 14 by Carl Collis in 1984. He also swept a 4-25s program that year, IIRC.

I'm not disputing your larger point, but just saying that Carl Collis was a dominant force weekly the year he ran second to Jack Johnson at Syracuse.. Collis had a couple tremendous years, then got out of the sport shortly thereafter. IMO, Collis finishing second that year wasn't as fluky as Bud Christmann finishng second in the Modified race or Ron Smoker finishing third. :)

Again, not arguing; just my take on things.

• Like 1

The quote on the DTD front page article says: 

"According to New York State Fair Director Troy Waffner, “The grandstand IS coming down after this year’s fair.”

When does "after this year's fair" mean?  September 8th? Anybody know for sure?   Tickets still valid? 

Race fans not liking Syracuse or having little desire to attend seems to me like a football fan not wanting to go to the Super Bowel. Just my opinion. Not quite sure I will find a replacement vacation for Columbus day weekend that can match the excitement I've experienced at SYRACUSE over some 40 years. The MOODY MILE was part of my life, and  I cherished ever minute of every year.

• Like 4

Race fans not liking Syracuse or having little desire to attend seems to me like a football fan not wanting to go to the Super Bowel. Just my opinion. Not quite sure I will find a replacement vacation for Columbus day weekend that can match the excitement I've experienced at SYRACUSE over some 40 years. The MOODY MILE was part of my life, and  I cherished ever minute of every year.

Could not have said it any better- working on 30 years worth of memories myself..........

• Like 1

I work in the pits five full days & a couple of nights & Sunday can't come soon enough....a week later I can't wait till the next year, already missing the good time that Super Dirt week is

• Like 1

some groups are trying to get the vintage mods at syr for sdw, one last time a nod to history. sound like a good idea to me. can we start making some noise. side note i drive a vintage mod with the midstate club and ive always wanted to run syr once in my life and this will be my only chance. 

The quote on the DTD front page article says: 

"According to New York State Fair Director Troy Waffner, “The grandstand IS coming down after this year’s fair.”

When does "after this year's fair" mean?  September 8th? Anybody know for sure?   Tickets still valid? 

Strange, but I had posted almost the exact same thing about as t when the grandstand will come down.  I do believe that "after this years fair" would be in September, while SDW is scheduled for mid October (almost)

I just spoke with Jeff Hachmann from DIRTcar and all systems are go for 2015, without question. They are working diligently on the future and are in constant communication with the acting fair director. Dont give up all hope yet!
  • Like 1
Syracuse was an acquired taste, not for everybody, I loved it. The history of American auto racing ran thru the place. Many of the drivers that raced there over time, where some of the all-time best. Andretti, Foyt, Bryan, Vukovich, Hearn, Balough, Johnson & Johnson, ..... and the list goes on. That history is fact, and can not be placed somewhere else. Shame on the greedy self-serving low life politicians. One day, their past will catch up with them.
  • Like 7
My first super dirt week was 1998 I was 8 years old. Thats the first big dirt race I can remember going to. My father and I haven't missed one yet. A couple years ago my father sat my sister and I down and had a talk about what to do if something happens to him. He broke out his will and guess what was in it. All super dirt week tickets to my son all tickets to be put in his name for renewal perpous. looks like my father will have to change that around. To some people it's more then just a race
  • Like 6

Syracuse was an acquired taste, not for everybody, I loved it. The history of American auto racing ran thru the place. Many of the drivers that raced there over time, where some of the all-time best. Andretti, Foyt, Bryan, Vukovich, Hearn, Balough, Johnson & Johnson, ..... and the list goes on. That history is fact, and can not be placed somewhere else. Shame on the greedy self-serving low life politicians. One day, their past will catch up with them.

I got to thinking about some of those names you posted - Andretti, Foyt, Bryan & Vukovich, and I got to wondering - Did Vukie Jr ever run the Moody Mile?  Then I remembered, Bill Vukovich, Sr. ran it in 1951.  Heck I was there that day!  Vukie stopped to tell the starter that it was all blocked up coming out of the second turn, so they had to stop the race.  Believe that was on the 67th lap.  Had to be during the fair because there were huge tents in the infield and we couldn't see the backstretch.  Bill Schindlr was one f those involved in that 2nd turn deal.

• Like 1
I don't think Bill Jr. raced there? maybe mid 70s? My father told me he saw Bill Sr. race at the fairgrounds in the early fifties, He also talked about seeing Tony Bettenhausen and Jack McGrath race there. When you look at the names that won Championship Car races at the mile, a very impressive list.

You could rattle on icon names that turned laps at Syracuse for forever. Barney Oldfield, Ira Vail, Ralph DePalma, Gaston Chevrolet, Louis Chevrolet, Sammy Swindell, Billy Pauch, Steve Kinser, Junior Johnson, Lee Petty, Fireball Roberts, Pancho Carter, Tony Bettenhausen, Toby Tobias, Jan Oppermann... now sprinkle in the Modified heroes. We'll be here for days. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The history at this track is just mind boggling and may be unmatched. 

My first event as a spectator at Syracuse was in 1988. I was hooked immediately and I haven't missed an event there since. I stood in the turn 3 camera lift in complete awe knowing Pauch was going to obliterate the record before he got to turn 4. One of my most favorite shots in all of the video I've shot was watching Danny Johnson pass Jimmy Horton for the lead on the back stretch wall. I shot the triple Pro Stock flip in turn 1 several years ago. One of the most incredible wrecks I ever shot was an AMA flat track event from the crow's nest a bunch of years ago. A guy dumped his bike going into turn 1, fell off and slid into the hay bales. The bike flipped over the first turn fence, just missed the restaurant there and continued out into the parking lot. That event never aired on television and I also never got to see the replay.

• Like 2

I don't think Bill Jr. raced there? maybe mid 70s? My father told me he saw Bill Sr. race at the fairgrounds in the early fifties, He also talked about seeing Tony Bettenhausen and Jack McGrath race there. When you look at the names that won Championship Car races at the mile, a very impressive list.

Bill Vukovich Jr competed at Syracuse in a USAC Silver Crown car on three occasions: ’74 (22nd), ’75 and ’77 (finishing 21st both times).

The following Indianapolis 500 champions also won at Syracuse: Ralph DePalma (1915 Indy 500 winner), Tommy Milton (’21 and ’23), Frank Lockhart ('26), Ray Keech ('29), Bill Cummings (’34), Wilbur Shaw ('37, '39-'40), Mauri Rose (’41, ’47-‘48), Johnnie Parsons (’50), Bob Sweikert (’55), Sam Hanks ('57 winner - won a AAA stock car event at the NYSF), Jim Rathmann ('60 winner - won a AAA stock car event at the NYSF), Roger Ward (’59 and ’62), Al Unser Sr (’70-’71, ’78, ’87).

• Like 1

they should also race the world of outlaw sprints and late models for the last year, along with the vintage mods. go out with a bang!!!!