MikeMallett

Statement for all DTD Forum Members and Readers

I think it's time for everyone here to take a minute and think.  I have to admit I don't read the forum daily because I don't have time to read every single thing when I'm traveling.  It seems to me over the past month or so when I do have the chance to read, things are heading in the wrong direction.  It's one complaint after another and that needs to change.  It seems like everyone hurries to get here or Facebook so they can complain about what happened at their local track instead of being thankful they still have said track.  There are plenty of places around the country where the local track is gone because of the negative attitude that sadly seems so prevalent in our sport and society today. Everyone feels like they have a right to complain about everything because they have an avenue to do it whether it's Dirt Track Digest or Twitter or Facebook.  I'm doing this is the nicest possible way but it's time for people to think before they post or we will no longer have a need for them on this forum.  We are no longer giving warnings, just time off.  We here at DTD have to constantly deal with promoters and people coming after us because of what is written in this forum and its our reputation on the line.  If you can't be positive or constructive, we have no need for it.  Even more so if you post using something other than your real name.   

Now to those who have the need to constantly blame DTD for what's wrong the sport I have this to say to you.  There is nothing on Dirt Track Digest that I haven't seen written on Facebook or twitter a million times so to say everything that is wrong with the sport is ALL OUR FAULT simply isn't the truth.  If you don't like our forum, so be it, but a lot of good has come from the forum in the past as well.  Everyone seems to forget that while only looking at half the picture.  When race tracks are putting together events and need sponsorship of laps or other things, DTD steps up and does what it can.  Several times we've provided a place for people to talk about an event.  Read through the threads leading up to the Jack Johnson Tribute event.  There was tons of positive talk about the race and how people were excited to go to Fonda.  We aren't the root of the problem with what is wrong in racing.  If we are the cause of the issue, why are crowds around the country falling? The owners of this site as well as those that help us out with photos and stories bust their butts day in and day out to put a product out there for everyone.  Yet for some reason there is a core group of folks that continue to believe we are nothing more than a forum and as a result we are a detriment to the sport.  I ask each of you to take a moment and check out the news and stories on the front page as well as the the photo gallery so you can see what else we are besides a forum.   And if you want to know what else we do the for the sport, take five minutes to chat with me and find out what we do instead of making comments on Facebook about our forum.  We may not always make it known, but we do go out of our way to give back as much as we can.  I love this sport as should everyone else here.

If things don't start to change we will be left with no recourse but to shut the forum down for a period of time or go to a moderated post system where everything that is posted must be approved by a moderator.  Neither of these options are something we want to do, but may be necessary to get things back on track.

In closing I simply ask that those here remember why we go to the races and keep that in mind before you hit the post button.  Lets try to get things headed in the right direction.  Remember the old adage, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." 
  • Like 46

Mike, well said, DTD is a reflection of our internet society, the good and the bad.

I have a suggestion. Regarding the front page. If you "push" the front page info to anyone who wants it rather than people having to "pull" the info, that would be helpful. I know I would love to get an email each day (or whenever they are generated) with the front page stories.

• Like 6

Amen, and agree with Chas71, that would be a nice feature.

To dovetail off what Mike is saying, the 'writing is on the wall', so to speak.  Many of us have been advocates of sites like DTD as a great way to get information out to fans and competitors, to tell some of the good stories that don't always see the light of day...and yes, to sometimes point out the bad things...but ALL of those need to be done in the most constructive and respectful manner possible.  Crowing about something or somebody you don't like or piling on to an existing b%&^hfest might feel good to you for a period of time, but the amount of damage it can do to the overall sport won't feel good to you when a track closes...or a competitor hangs it up...or fans find something else to do that has 'less drama' attached to it.

Face it, our sport is at an important crossroads, and its survival depends on those of us who are passionate AND compassionate AND tactful to spread the word about how great it is...and what people who aren't exposed to it are missing.  That's not any Chicken Little 'sky is falling' crap, tt's REAL, it's damn REAL (borrowing from Kurt Angle, sorry)!  Remember, you may have a right to an opinion, but you also have a responsibility in how you express it.

• Like 3

Mike, well said, DTD is a reflection of our internet society, the good and the bad.

I have a suggestion. Regarding the front page. If you "push" the front page info to anyone who wants it rather than people having to "pull" the info, that would be helpful. I know I would love to get an email each day (or whenever they are generated) with the front page stories.

Jeez, you want Mike to open your mail for you too? :lol:Just kidding.

Seriously though, the front page is where its at! I go there first.  Lots of new stories just about every day. Good info. Factual and informative. And I love the pictures too..  Things like forums, facebook and twitter, you have to consider the source. Then  decide for yourself whether the information is true, hear say,  soap opera, opinion, or complete BS.  Not so with the front page. The people working on  this site do a great job.

• Like 6

I have been a user of this site almost since day one. While I do admit that it can be fun to watch people make fools of themselves it is definitely true that they are not helping to grow this sport. You need to have thick skin to be in business and I can not imagine how track owners, promoters can take the abuse that is far too often leveled at them. Otherwise insignificant people like to show how smart they are by complaining and attacking others and do not realize what they are doing. Sponsors certainly aren't looking to cater to that demographic (aside from beer companies) Keep up the good work Mike and all the others who make this site possible.

• Like 3

I miss the days of debating a topic of discussion with Chris Akulis, Bob Miller, Chris Papa, and all the rest of those that have the disease that is incurable....Dirt Track Fever. I'm actually going back to the Fire on Dirt Days.

I took some time and went back through some of my posts and seen exactly what Mike Mallett was talking about.  I can say that I am not too proud of myself at the moment.

It seems that we have started down a path of negativity and the moderators are spending more time proof reading posts instead of being part of the discussion.

Lets all try to get back to the days when we were at least; trying to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

Spudman.

• Like 4

Maybe you should start staying home more so you could keep track of the site..lol jk. Your doing a great job..keep up the good work!
  • Like 1

This site sucks! You all suck! I cant come to a place and bitch, piss and moan about things i care/know nothing about, i'm leaving!  :blink:   I'm kidding of course. Someone had to say it...

In all seriousness, this is one of the main websites I go to for information. I'm on here at least five times a day, whether it be on the forum or reading a new article on the front page. I would probably be bored out of my mind if this site weren't here! 

I know myself that I've got in a couple arguments/disagreements that shouldn't have taken place on here, but I would never bash DTD for what they do for us fans.  

Keep up the good work Mike and crew! Thank you for everything!

• Like 4

Great post and well said.

With the advent of social media we have ha a whole new generation of keyboard cowboy cops whom feel they can say anything and a lot of times it's just simply not nice.

I admit I'm not perfect but I try very hard daily to simply be nice.

I'd like to see the days return where people actually remembered the simple kindergarten and first grade lessons we were taught... If you don't have something nice to say don't say it at all. Again I know it's not a perfect world and that would not happen all the time but shouldn't it be the way we conduct our lives most of the time? I think it should be and I stand on that.

These forums have good info and have various ways really helped people. I can think of the exact example right now of drivers answering my call for help for Jeramiah Green the young boy in Oklamhoma battling cancer, or in own personal case a couple guys that came to my call for help when I first starting driving and had zero clue what to do. One such friendship has become much more than that, I hunt and fish with this guy that has become a real friend. So they do do good.

Hopefully your post helps, hopefully people stop and think for a minute before they speak. I often tell other drivers after being in a wreck... Just give it 30 seconds before you speak /react, etc... It works wonders to controlling ones self. Perhaps of people just waited 30 more seconds and thought about a negative response before posting it.....
  • Like 2

I took a break from posting for a few weeks after reading something I didn't like and reacting in a negative way to the poster, after reading your post Mike I decided to sign back on. Hopefully People will realize the difference between constructive criticism and outright bashing of Race tracks and Promoters that does absolutely nothing to help out in the long run. In a few minutes I will be heading to the Viewing of a Racer taken way to soon RIP Mike Bailey you will be missed by many. This puts thing into perspective for me, in the grand scheme of things relax enjoy the things we are able to and treat people the way you want to be treated!

• Like 4

I took a break from posting for a few weeks after reading something I didn't like and reacting in a negative way to the poster, after reading your post Mike I decided to sign back on. Hopefully People will realize the difference between constructive criticism and outright bashing of Race tracks and Promoters that does absolutely nothing to help out in the long run. In a few minutes I will be heading to the Viewing of a Racer taken way to soon RIP Mike Bailey you will be missed by many. This puts thing into perspective for me, in the grand scheme of things relax enjoy the things we are able to and treat people the way you want to be treated!

Your last sentence says it all. Words to live by.

• Like 2

Can I still complain about the crummy hot dogs?

That could be perceived as negative. Correct? Might depend on who knows the hot dog vendor . Perhaps that is a better post for Facebook than DTD.?

I know people say "if you have nothing good to say, you should say nothing at all."

But sometines I think whether or not a post is considered negative , depends on which side of the opinion you stand.

I have read posts on here before from moderators and staff that surely could be considered negative . Those are their opinions no less. And I have no problem with those.
  • Like 2

Joe how does posting with my real name help? Just because people post with there real names doesnt mean I will know who there are.. does anyone here know who jeff sweet is?
  • Like 2

I would like to see everyone have to use there real name that would help so much

I post with my name. Because I don't post anything I don't stand behind. Some people hide behind a name and talk like Superman. In the past I have posted my thoughts about Lucia and Fonda. Ric knew who I was. He was pissed with what I said and we had a couple chats. We talked it out and I'm pretty sure he still dislikes me to this day. So be it. I had nothing to hide. It was my feelings. No different than his towards a couple tracks I like. In my eyes, if you can't back your thoughts with your real name, then it has no real meaning. It's like listening to Charlie Browns Parents talking....

We've had the real name debate and there are pros and cons on both sides of that argument.  We appreciate those that do choose to use their real names, but I don't mind the fake name etc as long as people are following the rules.  People on Facebook use their real names and that doesn't stop them from saying things they shouldn't.  Now if you choose to use a fake name and get out of line, we have no problem having a very short leash for those folks.  

• Like 1

I would like to see everyone have to use there real name that would help so much

I post with my name. Because I don't post anything I don't stand behind. Some people hide behind a name and talk like Superman. In the past I have posted my thoughts about Lucia and Fonda. Ric knew who I was. He was pissed with what I said and we had a couple chats. We talked it out and I'm pretty sure he still dislikes me to this day. So be it. I had nothing to hide. It was my feelings. No different than his towards a couple tracks I like. In my eyes, if you can't back your thoughts with your real name, then it has no real meaning. It's like listening to Charlie Browns Parents talking....

Is Custom your first name or last?
  • Like 2