So the "fair board" is looking for bids for the speedway for 2016 and beyond, does that clear up the rumor mill about Matty D ?

The Montgomery County Agricultural Society (AKA The Fonda Fair) is accepting bids for a promoter to lease the Fonda Speedway for the 2016 racing season and beyond. Please submit proposals in writing by December 1st to The Fonda Fair, PO Box 385, Fonda, NY 12068.

For more information please contact the fairgrounds office at 518-853-3313 or fondafair2012@yahoo.com.

Sad to hear . I thought Matt and crew were doing an awesome job there . Looks like the WoO late model night killed them . Maybe Matt wants to race more ? I hope whoever takes it over keeps up the job the Matt and his team were doing .

I hope the Fonda Fair Society would seriously consider lowering the amount they are presently charging to lease the fair grounds for the racing season. Would be much more attractive investment for the qualified applicants and I would hope the racing community would benefit.

• Like 1

Daddy should make me the promoter. We could have lap dances in between the races and sell liquor at the beer stand.
  • Like 6

Just so things are clear, there is NO set price for rent for the speedway. The prices proposed were what these people have offered to pay to run the speedway. Just want to make that perfectly clear. Not once during a bidding proposal has anyone said there was a reserve to meet.

R U SURE BUTCH TALK AROUND TOWN IS 60G FROM A HIGH RANKING BOARD MEMBER ?

Sometimes you charge too much, u end up with nothing. Remember that fonda

you think they are worried? they have the horse shows all summer, every weekend. they make more money on those.

I heard Custom Bob was placing a bid which included a full revamp of the drag strip for NHRA drag racing and a new VIP area just outside turn one with luxury step ladders. 

• Like 3

The end is coming folks. I hope I'm wrong but I see the "horse folks" having a full house and the racers and us fans having two pair. The root of all evil $$$$$$$ may take this one. I grew up there, met my wife there, watched my hero win countless races ( the most special #149), watch my father pace numerous fields of cars that gave me chills and made more friends and memories than one could ever want. All good things come to an end, hopefully this isn't the last page in the history of Fonda Speedway.
  • Like 1

I heard Custom Bob was placing a bid which included a full revamp of the drag strip for NHRA drag racing and a new VIP area just outside turn one with luxury step ladders.

I for one wouldn't be going when custom goes and PAVES it!!LoL

It's not the horse folks. I believe racing brings in more money for the fair board than horses do.  It's just a change of the times. Back in the day racing was a past time the entire family would support on a Saturday night. The Avg Joe could put a car together and his friends/family would come watch him race. Now the cost of racing and the lack of family supporting local racing has made it difficult for any track to be successful.  Matty D put in a great effort, he himself has a young family and other business obligations to concentrate on . There are only a few people who could make it work. Don't be surprised if you see some old faces back with Howards support. 

This will be my last post on the topic so that everyone can digest and come up with theories and comments and what not. Not my cup of tea anymore I guess

To all the folks who love Fonda Speedway like I do, please rest assure that there WILL be racing at Fonda Speedway in 2016 and for as long as we can see in the future.

Thank you to George and DTD for allowing this post here and see everyone at Fonda Speedway in 2016!
  • Like 4

How many smart business people do we have out there? Anybody with any intelligence at all will not bid anywhere near $60,000 after what Matty went through. Why punish yourself? What happens when we get rain every other Saturday night next season? Maybe the previous promoter will return with his RC Cola since Matt has done all the work and improved the place. 

Back in August I posted a new topic asking Jake if the rumor of Matty D leaving Fonda was true.

Lot's of replies including an interview of Matty D by Tom Boggie where he wrote:

"Although DeLorenzo has encountered more than his share of problems during his first two years as promoter at Fonda, he’s not going to throw in the towel, as many fans are speculating.

“Everyone has been asking me that because they read something on ‘Dirt Track Digest,’ ” DeLorenzo said. “I have contracts with my food supplies, with the fair board. There’s no way you just walk away from contracts.

“But I am going to sit down and re-evaluate things next summer and talk with the fair board about what’s best for both of us.”

http://www.dirttrackdigest.com/DTD/index.php?/topic/54484-jake-spraker-whats-the-story/

My understanding is that Matt had a three-year contract and the 2016 season will be year three unless something has changed, which given his comments on contracts, I would assume the ball is still in his court.

From the Fonda banquet article after Ric Lucia stepped down.

Ric Lucia then presented the key to the speedway to new promoter Matt DeLorenzo who has a contract for the next three years in 2014, 2015 and 2016 with options after that.

Matt has a third year left with the fair board I believe they are trying to come to terms with a cost of exiting early. The fair board is looking to be sure racing goes on next year... 

• Like 2

I think a great promoter would be Jim King. He promoted U-R one year back in the 1990's & it was the best i had ever seen a racetrack run