Maybe the Fair Board will accept an offer lower than what Matt was paying?

I'm not sure how you can fault the Fair Board for agreeing to a contract that someone was willing to pay.

There's more to it than meets the eye. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors.

I kind of wonder why the rent would be so high to rent a fairgrounds?? Are some of the numbers being thrown around on this thread correct? Makes me sort of wonder how much other promoters pay to rent a fairgrounds? Ontario County for example

The "rent" is what it is because that is what it was bid at. The Fair Board didn't just attach a figure to operate the speedway that is what was bid to operate it.

Scott, there is No set price for the rent/lease price. It's up for bid. It's about highest bid and plus who you are and what your capabilities are to run a Speedway. The problem is there are many stipulations and demands by the Fair Board. More than what people have knowledge of.  Also there isn't much left behind to start up operations for next season. Whoever gets the track next season will have to be a strong individual, mentally and have a big bankroll.

theoretically speaking. Shouldn't the new promoter get a break on first year rent? Because Matt must of had to pay the fairboard something to get out of his contract?

I know. funny ha ha right?

Seriously though. If all it takes is the highest bidder. How does anyone know how deep the pockets need to be? Maybe someone can get it on the cheep? Wonder how many bids there will be?

[/quote]
There's more to it than meets the eye. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors.[/quote]

That would make a great song.

I BELIEVE MATT AND BBL PAID THE LUCIA'S 350,000. FOR ALL ....

THAT WAS THEIR CHOICE....

THEY OFFERED 60,000. TO THE FAIR BOARD PER YEARLY RENT....

THEIR CHOICE...

RAISED THE MAJORITY OF WORKERS PAY TO 10.00 AN HOUR FROM LUCIA'S  8.50

THEIR CHOICE..

WENT TO DIRT CAR SANCTION WHICH COSTS

THEIR CHOICE..

HAD MANY PROMOTIONS AND REDUCED ADMISSION  NIGHTS 

THEIR CHOICE..

REFUSED TO ASSIST THE FAIR BOARD WITH THE FAIR AND OTHER EVENTS

THEIR CHOICE..

REFUSED TO WORK WITH MIKE SOWLE AND GLENRIDGE WHICH COULD HAVE BENIFITTED  BOTH TRACKS

THEIR CHOICE

THE FAIR BOARD, THE FANS, THE DRIVERS, WERE NOT THE PROBLEM....

POOR MANAGEMENT , A COCKY ATTITUDE, AND MANY BAD DECISIONS  IS WHY MATTY D. COULDN'T SURVIVE.

• Like 2

I BELIEVE MATT AND BBL PAID THE LUCIA'S 350,000. FOR ALL ....

THAT WAS THEIR CHOICE....

THEY OFFERED 60,000. TO THE FAIR BOARD PER YEARLY RENT....

THEIR CHOICE...

RAISED THE MAJORITY OF WORKERS PAY TO 10.00 AN HOUR FROM LUCIA'S  8.50

THEIR CHOICE..

WENT TO DIRT CAR SANCTION WHICH COSTS

THEIR CHOICE..

HAD MANY PROMOTIONS AND REDUCED ADMISSION  NIGHTS 

THEIR CHOICE..

REFUSED TO ASSIST THE FAIR BOARD WITH THE FAIR AND OTHER EVENTS

THEIR CHOICE..

REFUSED TO WORK WITH MIKE SOWLE AND GLENRIDGE WHICH COULD HAVE BENIFITTED  BOTH TRACKS

THEIR CHOICE

THE FAIR BOARD, THE FANS, THE DRIVERS, WERE NOT THE PROBLEM....

POOR MANAGEMENT , A COCKY ATTITUDE, AND MANY BAD DECISIONS  IS WHY MATTY D. COULDN'T SURVIVE.

Tell us your formula for success FONDOFFONDA. Your cocky attitude is shining through. Lol.

There has to be a decent amount of money in promoting, if your doing it right. People blame it on the fans, but ric must have been making money because he was able to promothing the speedway for quite a while. Did ric have any more fans at the track than matt? I think Matt and BBL dug thier own grave by spending way to much money on improvements, when he needed to get new fans in the gate.

One of the problems with running a racetrack is that to the outside person the philosophy is that you have to be a redneck to even think that circle track racing is intresting. If you knew how to get a new younger fan base into any dirt track you could have sucess. The key is getting more young fans from 20-30 years old into then doors. I think that accomplishing that is mor like rocket science that you think. That's why I'm not putting in a bid to be promoter.

promote, promote , promote as some others mentioned. Ralph and Ronnie Company were grate at it. I would see them in Florida during speedweeks buying driver drinks and telling them about what big shows they were having and offering teams motel rooms , gas money ect..They had some of the best modified fields in the North East for there big shows.  Promoting is a 24/7 job even in the off season. If you want to be good at what you do, you need to work at it. Fans and teams are not just going to come just because you have it, Promote !!!

I for one will not race Fonda once a month.... We would find another Saturday night BB home..... And that's where we would stay.....

The grapevine indicated there would be a "pair" of crates flying the scale sponsorship weekly in 2016...

Fact or fiction ???

promote, promote , promote as some others mentioned. Ralph and Ronnie Company were grate at it. I would see them in Florida during speedweeks buying driver drinks and telling them about what big shows they were having and offering teams motel rooms , gas money ect..They had some of the best modified fields in the North East for there big shows.  Promoting is a 24/7 job even in the off season. If you want to be good at what you do, you need to work at it. Fans and teams are not just going to come just because you have it, Promote !!!

I kinda disagree with what your saying Brian. Fonda Speedway has been around for many years. It's well known in the "Dirt Racing Family in the Northeast". So promoting to racers is like telling them what they already know. Fonda can promote itself off of the racing History and Champion Drivers that have raced there. The problem is....How do you get new fans. Peoples interests, especially young Kids are other places these days. When you & me we're kids and playing in the sand box with matchbox cars, what did we do. We made a race track. Just like hundreds of other kids. When we we're a little older we raced our bicycles with other kids in circles. Later on we had dirt bikes and racing karts. Many other kids did the same. When we got our drivers license, we built street cars and we we're motor heads. Todays youth has computers, I phones, Xbox and other things in mind, rather than what we did many years ago. Times have changed. The park is near my house in Fultonville, across the river from the Fonda Speedway and on a saturday night it's loaded with kids hanging out and playing basketball. They don't even acknowledge the loud engine noise from the cars racing. They could care less. Even in Nascar the bleachers are emptier every year. Racing is losing it's value. Racing along with the small group of people in this World that live for racing are like Dinosaurs. We're becoming extinct. And I don't know how it can be fixed? There's only so much you can offer at a race track to gain peoples interest. Nascar has National singers and bands play before the races to try an draw more fans. I believe the BEST form of promoting is by the fans. The "bring a friend to the races that has never gone before or rarely has gone".  You can hand out free tickets to a race, but generally 10% or them may get used. And out of that 10%, 1% may return to a second racing event. I would like to see tracks and racers get out during the season and put on some small car shows or displays at area businesses to promote racing during the week. A couple hours in front of a store can't hurt in drumming up some interest. Finally the Cost of Racing and fielding a car has gotten out of hand. Like Crate engines or not...there the start of keeping hobby racers in this sport. The average weekend racer can't afford a $20,000 and up engines. I can bet, that if you put for example the entire modified field of drivers in a 602 or 604 crate car...most fans wouldn't know the difference. Actually the racing would probably be better.  

Bottom line is..It is what it is, a track has got what it's got. You make due with it or if it's not enough to keep going, then the gate gets locked. Another track will unfortunately fall by the wayside. 

One other thing people are saying is Matty shouldn't have put time in fixing up the facility. I disagree. The grandstands we're becoming unsafe. The beams I was told we're like styrofoam on the base. They we're becoming rotted. The overall appearance of the grandstand was dirty and old. Painting it and repairing old splintered seat boards was much needed. Would you go into a restaurant that looked old and dirty to eat? I also was told that the first years lease money was bartered off in the cost to spruce the grandstand up. 

• Like 2

I don't know what the answer is. But these comments about younger people not being involved? At many of the races I went to this year , kids are running around everywhere. Particularly CMP

You are correct Custom but because your the promoter of Fonda Speedway don't mean you can sit on your hands and hope for people to come because of its history. You as a promoter need to do anything and everything possible to make your shows a success. There are still motor heads out there, I go to many Tractor pulls during the year and they are packed , not just at fairs either (WHY?) Are we all missing something ? As kids we looked at the racecars as something we could do someday, I think todays race car prices have scared the kids of today away per say thinking they will never be able to afford it. As I said you need to do everything possible to make it work , so if it fails you can look yourself in the mirror and not question what if.

Another thing is that these promoter people need to stop thinking there going to become milliners doing this, What's so bad about making a living doing what you love to do. I know people making $10 hr and love there jobs and wouldn't want to do any thing else, I also know people who make 3 figures and are miserable all the time. I would rather be happy myself, life's to short.   Enough said, my 3 post for the year. 

Peoples interests, especially young Kids are other places these days. When you & me we're kids and playing in the sand box with matchbox cars, what did we do. We made a race track. Just like hundreds of other kids. When we we're a little older we raced our bicycles with other kids in circles. Later on we had dirt bikes and racing karts. Many other kids did the same. When we got our drivers license, we built street cars and we we're motor heads. Todays youth has computers, I phones, Xbox and other things in mind, rather than what we did many years ago. Times have changed. The park is near my house in Fultonville, across the river from the Fonda Speedway and on a saturday night it's loaded with kids hanging out and playing basketball. They don't even acknowledge the loud engine noise from the cars racing. They could care less. Even in Nascar the bleachers are emptier every year. Racing is losing it's value. Racing along with the small group of people in this World that live for racing are like Dinosaurs. We're becoming extinct. And I don't know how it can be fixed? There's only so much you can offer at a race track to gain peoples interest.

I agree with the quoted point completely. As much as people will give an anecdotal example of a track that has lots of kids in attendance,the sport clearly is not making enough new fans to replace the old-timers that are dying off. Local racing is going down the road of boxing and horse racing. Sure, it will always be around. But it is getting a lot smaller than it was a generation ago or two generations ago. I think there are a lot of tracks out there that just won't be around a decade from now -- or not running weekly if they are around.

I cringe when I see posters advocating dry, slick, lifeless dustbowls. People who have attended races for the past 40 years may approve, but good luck trying to sell a new fan or a family on getting blasted in the face by dust all night long. There just aren't enough fans around anymore that will accept that.

• Like 1

Custom, what I said was, my first concern would have been the track conditions, which really weren't that great in the years before Matty got there, to me that was the most important "To Do" on the list... I realize the fair board may have put pressure on them to reconstruct the grandstand areas but as nice as the were after they were done, when the fans returned they just got the same old lousy track conditions that led many to stay away prior.

Which comes first... the chicken or the egg!   IMO the track was the key, but what do I know?

Oh... by the way I hate dry slick dusty rough tracks... for what's that's worth!

• Like 1

promote, promote , promote as some others mentioned. Ralph and Ronnie Company were grate at it. I would see them in Florida during speedweeks buying driver drinks and telling them about what big shows they were having and offering teams motel rooms , gas money ect..They had some of the best modified fields in the North East for there big shows. Promoting is a 24/7 job even in the off season. If you want to be good at what you do, you need to work at it. Fans and teams are not just going to come just because you have it, Promote !!!

I kinda disagree with what your saying Brian. Fonda Speedway has been around for many years. It's well known in the "Dirt Racing Family in the Northeast". So promoting to racers is like telling them what they already know. Fonda can promote itself off of the racing History and Champion Drivers that have raced there. The problem is....How do you get new fans. Peoples interests, especially young Kids are other places these days. When you & me we're kids and playing in the sand box with matchbox cars, what did we do. We made a race track. Just like hundreds of other kids. When we we're a little older we raced our bicycles with other kids in circles. Later on we had dirt bikes and racing karts. Many other kids did the same. When we got our drivers license, we built street cars and we we're motor heads. Todays youth has computers, I phones, Xbox and other things in mind, rather than what we did many years ago. Times have changed. The park is near my house in Fultonville, across the river from the Fonda Speedway and on a saturday night it's loaded with kids hanging out and playing basketball. They don't even acknowledge the loud engine noise from the cars racing. They could care less. Even in Nascar the bleachers are emptier every year. Racing is losing it's value. Racing along with the small group of people in this World that live for racing are like Dinosaurs. We're becoming extinct. And I don't know how it can be fixed? There's only so much you can offer at a race track to gain peoples interest. Nascar has National singers and bands play before the races to try an draw more fans. I believe the BEST form of promoting is by the fans. The "bring a friend to the races that has never gone before or rarely has gone". You can hand out free tickets to a race, but generally 10% or them may get used. And out of that 10%, 1% may return to a second racing event. I would like to see tracks and racers get out during the season and put on some small car shows or displays at area businesses to promote racing during the week. A couple hours in front of a store can't hurt in drumming up some interest. Finally the Cost of Racing and fielding a car has gotten out of hand. Like Crate engines or not...there the start of keeping hobby racers in this sport. The average weekend racer can't afford a $20,000 and up engines. I can bet, that if you put for example the entire modified field of drivers in a 602 or 604 crate car...most fans wouldn't know the difference. Actually the racing would probably be better.
Bottom line is..It is what it is, a track has got what it's got. You make due with it or if it's not enough to keep going, then the gate gets locked. Another track will unfortunately fall by the wayside.

One other thing people are saying is Matty shouldn't have put time in fixing up the facility. I disagree. The grandstands we're becoming unsafe. The beams I was told we're like styrofoam on the base. They we're becoming rotted. The overall appearance of the grandstand was dirty and old. Painting it and repairing old splintered seat boards was much needed. Would you go into a restaurant that looked old and dirty to eat? I also was told that the first years lease money was bartered off in the cost to spruce the grandstand up.

We also used to see them going down the road on open trailers which peeked our interest as to where are they going. Nowadays, alot of the trailers are enclosed w no graphics or any indication that there is a racecar in them.
  • Like 4

It is almost impossible to get non-race fans interested in going to a race track. I've tried with all of my non-racing friends and it doesn't work. Younger people unless prodded by their parents,(by bringing them to the track when they are small) are not likely to get interested. They spend all of their time glued to their smartphones these days. Various tracks offer reduced rates or even free admission for children and that is probably the last best hope for getting kids hooked on the racing habit. Advertising costs are ridiculous and now that virtually no one ever reads anything like a newspaper or even watches television or even listens to the radio it is hard to attract non-believers. With profit margins down for race tracks (and for that matter every single small business) it is extremely difficult to stick one's head out to try something different. The fact that virtually every person posting on this message board bitches about every aspect of the sport isn't going to attract new sponsors or new fans either.

I think placing blame on message boards is the easy way out. I would say the majority of fans visiting sites like dtd are the fans who attend on a somewhat regular basis or semi regular. JMO

I'd argue the posts on Facebook, Twitter ect do far more damage than a racing message board. On Facebook and Twitter all of your friends see the post....both race fans and non race fans. And those seeing your post multiplies when it's shared, liked, ect.
  • Like 2

I think placing blame on message boards is the easy way out. I would say the majority of fans visiting sites like dtd are the fans who attend on a somewhat regular basis or semi regular. JMO

I'd argue the posts on Facebook, Twitter ect do far more damage than a racing message board. On Facebook and Twitter all of your friends see the post....both race fans and non race fans. And those seeing your post multiplies when it's shared, liked, ect.

absolutely! Unless your already a race fan, you don't even know what DTD is.

As far as getting new fans to come along. I have tried to get new people to go with me several times. A few have since gone back with me,.  The two biggest complaints I heard from those not wanting going back were the dust and downtime. I kept on hearing, "what are they doing now?  what are they doing now?"  lol    Oh well, you either like it or you don't.  I still ask new people all the time if they would like to go

• Like 2

If the answers were so apparent or easy as some of us think, we probably wouldn't have so many of the same issues at so many of our tracks. Promoting a race track is not a gamble I would ever want to take lol

Anyone ever try taking the race cars to the schools?
Want to get this kids interested- bring the car to the school parking lot, gather all the kids around, let them climb all over it, sit in in, touch it, feel it, FIRE THAT BABY UP IN THE PARKING LOT!
I don't know the legalities of it or how you pull it off, but every time my dad took me to the garage- the first thing I did was put my hands all over Bobby Varin's car. Sit in the seat, pretend I was driving. Me and my brother would fight over who got to sit inside and who had to sit on the side panels. You want to get kids hooked- get in their faces.
  • Like 1

Racing as a community is pretty cliquey (sp?) and closed group... yes it's a close-knit community, but not always the best at bringing in new comers.
One thing I'll never forget was Pat Ward stopping at Fonda McDonald's- right on the side of the road. A whole pile of people climb out and went into the restaurant to order. Inside a kid asked what was in the trailer and who was the driver. Pat took the time to talk to the kid and show an interest in him, rather than politely say thanks and get his food and go in and out. I think he even sent someone to the hauler to get the kid a picture or something. Really left and impression on me. Late at night, long ride ahead to get back home, tired and hungry, and he took 5 or 10 minutes to give the kid his time and interest.
  • Like 1