I think a great promoter would be Jim King. He promoted U-R one year back in the 1990's & it was the best i had ever seen a racetrack run

Are you referring to the Fonda announcer that didn't know that Jack and Ronnie Johnson are related?
  • Like 3

I think a great promoter would be Jim King. He promoted U-R one year back in the 1990's & it was the best i had ever seen a racetrack run

Are you referring to the Fonda announcer that didn't know that Jack and Ronnie Johnson are related?

Like him or not, Jim King was one of the best announcers. You can't deny his passion and love for the sport.

Like him or not, Jim King was one of the best announcers. You can deny his passion and love for the sport.

I've only been in the grandstands a few times a Fonda to hear jim king. I thought he was terrible every time. After hearing his disrespectful comment over the PA regarding "Howard's troubles" the Saturday following the tragic death at LV's eve of destruction, my final thoughts on jim king are: ( MOD EDIT )  not allowed. 

While, it seems we have a while before we know who the the new management at Fonda will be. I'm sure, no matter who gets the new deal will have to deal with the world of social media. I would have no interest in being a promoter at Fonda Speedway, some times it is a challenge to do what I do now. The many classes, lack of communication with the pits, and a bunch of other situations can make some race nights an adventure. I enjoy the announcing, and I get the opportunity to do a lot of different Motorsports events. So, with that having be'en said every person has a right to their own opinion and I've always said," If you think you can do it better come on up, I'll let you show me how! "
  • Like 4

I do not understand why promoters get so upset over social media. If people bitch about something legit, fix the problem. If people bitch about a bunch of nonsence, which is more often the case, simply ignore it. A good promoter knows the difference between the two, and a good promoter already knows what he is doing correctly and what needs improving. Social media should be ignored for the most part by promoters as there is little real value in it to help them run their track.
  • Like 2

Yes sir your right you are and that can be forgiven but sometimes we need to know when it's time to just sit and watch or maybe buy a tape of what other MODERN DAY announcers are doing. 30 plus years at fonda and I truly do appreciate what you have done for the sport as a whole. This forum is here for this purpose and is meant in no way to be disrespectful.

When promoters figure out how to use social media in a way to benefit them, they will see the rewards of doing so. Not many tracks have figured that out as of yet. A PR person with knowledge of what people are looking for on the information super highway can do wonders for a promoter and a facility. Using a newspaper or a magazine now days to push your info to the paying or raceing public is as succesfull as a vintage winning a world finals modified feature!! People will talk and have opinions until the last human dies, learning how to deal with that in a way that helps a track and its promotional team is the winning answer!!!
  • Like 1

I've worked with many MODERN announcers who spend a lot of time playing music and texting, sorry does'nt work for me. Getting to know our drivers and their families, their stories and sponsor stories are our way of doing business. Have'nt be'en to the Valley or Malta lately, so I'll have to ask Dan Martin what the secret is.
  • Like 3

highoctane said

Like him or not, Jim King was one of the best announcers. You can't deny his passion and love for the sport.

Your right      " WAS " years ago

I think Jim does a very good job at Fonda and at The Ridge.  Most of the people who criticize wouldn't even know how to turn the mic on. lol.  I also like Mike Mallet and Shane Andrews and BIll Foley and the other announcer at Brewerton with Bill. I think the guys at FMP do a great job too.  I personally don't care for the guys at Malta because they never shut up to let you enjoy the race. They feel they have to talk every second like they are on the radio and they are afraid of any dead air. lol. They give me a headache. I cant remember the guys at the Valley. Oh, and I forgot about Paul Szmal and also Doug Elkins when he is a guest announcer. So keep up the good work Jim. I enjoy listening to you when you are behind the mic.

• Like 2

Below is from James Ellis at the leader herald.
For my Facebook friends who can't view L-H online

DeLorenzo steps aside as Fonda promoter
By JAMES A. ELLIS
The Leader-Herald
FONDA — There will be a new promoter at Fonda Speedway starting in the 2016 racing season.
Thursday, the Montgomery County Agricultural Society posted on its website that it “is accepting bids for a promoter to lease the Fonda Speedway for the 2016 racing season and beyond. Please submit proposals in writing by December 1st to The Fonda Fair, PO Box 385, Fonda, NY 12068.
The announcement came after current promoter Matt DeLorenzo and the DeLorenzo Motorsports team asked to be released from its contract after two years of its three-year contract with the fair board.
“We still haven’t finalized everything,” DeLorenzo said. “We just told them we have ceased operations and it is OK to go out and seek a new promoter for 2016. Obviously, that is what they are doing. But we have not finalized anything on my end yet. That part of the transition has not happened yet. We offered to help anyway we can.”
DeLorenzo was awarded the promotership of Fonda Speedway in November of 2013 with a three-year deal for 2014, 2015 and 2016 and five one-year options after that.
He took over from Ric Lucia who promoted the speedway for 17 seasons.
During the 2014 season, the new promoters worked to improve the speedway by updating and painting the covered grandstand and bathroom areas along with adding sponsor billboards along the backstretch and adding bathrooms and a new scale area to the infield.
In 2015 fresh clay was added to the racing surface along with other improvements to the speedway.
“The Montgomery County Agricultural Society is extremely appreciative of Matt DeLorenzo and DeLorenzo Motorsports, they put a lot of time, energy and money into the facility and we are extremely grateful for what he has done the last two years,” Fairboard president Richard Kennedy said. “We encouraged him to continue with the contract, but for personal reasons he decided not to. We are actively looking now for a new promoter for next year and beyond. We are accepting bids for approval up to Dec. 1 when we will review what has been presented to us. Interested parties are asked to submitted their proposals in writing at the fairgrounds.”
Kennedy said that the fairboard and DeLorenzo Motorsports are negotiating what assets will remain at the venerable Track of Champions.
“We are still in the midst of what will stay and what won’t stay,” he said. “At this point in time, most of the assets that are currently at the facility will be staying as far as physical assets. We are still in negotiation with what will stay and what will be leaving.”
During the 2015 season, Fonda Speedway hosted a midweek World of Outlaws Late Model race, but a questionable weather forecast resulted in a low fan turnout for the high-price traveling series.
“Now-a-day’s everybody is a meteorologist. They have i-Phones and are watching the weather,” DeLorenzo said. “You are going to get the die-hard race fans to show up but not the average race fan because they can tell if it might rain. Before you took a chance and just showed up. If it rained out, you went home. Now if there is a doubt they stay home. You need those fair-weather people in the stands.”
DeLorenzo elaborated that it was not one thing that led to the decision to ask out of the contract.
“The investors want out. We can’t keep digging in our pockets to keep the place going,” he said. “We invested over $400,000 into the place and we are not getting anything back in return. We can’t keep digging into our pockets to keep the place going. It is a business decision.”
DeLorenzo also has split his time racing on Friday nights and occasionally at Fonda Speedway in special events. However, promoting, racing and having a young family has also factored into the decision.
“I have a family and am working seven days a week. I just can’t do it anymore,” he said. “It is hard to get people to help. I am pretty particular on some things and when you have someone do something for you, and they don’t do it right, you have to do it yourself anyway. There is not enough time in the day and it is particularly hard when you have little kids and live far away. It is a thankless job but I knew that going in. It is a business decision not that I want to go racing more. I enjoy my family and my kids and they want to see me. My weekends are shot. They are cheerleading, playing soccer and stuff I don’t see them at all.”
With the search starting for a new promoter, Kennedy said outlined what the members of the fairboard are looking for.
“There is no set number as to how many bids we will accept. What we are looking at is how many people are interested,” he said. “When DeLorenzo Motorsports presented their bid we had only two offers. We had several people show interest but only two offers came to us. So we are looking for as many people who are interested in promoting the speedway to come forward and present an offer to us.
“People can contact the fairgrounds office for a walk around the grounds and see what is there, what they will be responsible for and have a one-on-one conversation if needed,” he said. “It is not always the person who is offering the highest monetary bid. There are other things we need to consider, too, as far as who we feel is going to do the best in the long term for the fairgrounds and Fonda Speedway.”
Interest has already been shown in promoting the speedway in 2016.
“We just made if formally known to the public Thursday. We have had a lot of phone-call inquiries and have had one proposal, which I cannot release,” Kennedy said. “We want to have it done before Christmas.”
Kennedy said that the fair board decided to release DeLorenzo from the contract after the promoter made the request.
“We certainly did not encourage the DeLorenzo Motorsports team to pull out of Fonda Speedway,” he said. “We have had a very good relationship and hope to continue that relationship going forward. It certainly was not our decision for this change but we certainly understand and respect their decision.”
The facilities have been winterized and DeLorenzo has been closing out his racing season at the DIRTcar sponsored World Finals at the Dirt Track at Charlotte and will return to the area next week. He plans to continue talks with the fair board at that time.
“We haven’t agreed to anything yet. Basically, we want to get out and are trying to negotiate to break my contract and make it so all parties are happy,” DeLorenzo said. “We are leaving a bunch of assets behind and that is what we are trying to agree on now. Hopefully we can come to terms. We offered to sit down and help them find somebody and make the transition easy. You have to look at it as a business and we couldn’t do it anymore.”

Ok everybody. Lets go! Who put the bid in? How many bids will be going in? And who will all the bids come from? What will be the dollar amounts of the bids? I heard the previous promoter bid $39k to come back and make things exactly like they were when he left.

I'm hearing pete from the ridge is interested? Guess we will know who it is in a month

If Pete gets it I think he should run BOTH tracks on Friday nights.
Or maybe Sunday.
Or Thursday .
  • Like 1

WAITING TILL DECEMBER MIGHT NOT BE A GOOD IDEA ALOT OF PERMITS TO BE GOTTEN BEFORE APRIL.

What type of permits are needed, beyond a contract with the fair board..?

WAITING TILL DECEMBER MIGHT NOT BE A GOOD IDEA ALOT OF PERMITS TO BE GOTTEN BEFORE APRIL.

What type of permits are needed, beyond a contract with the fair board..?

I would imagine you'd need a liquor license, a DOH permit to sell food, etc...

That's what I meant. A permit to sell alcohol. This is NY. I'm sure there are many permits required.

I believe jakes referring to food permits and beer permit. It takes time to get that stuff and get everything situated. As with anything with the government, you don't just call and get it in a day unfortunately.
  • Like 1

When Matt first took over, the track was without a beer/liquor license for a few weeks into the season.