None of our tracks in NJ sell beer and Bridgeport has a local ordinance that in theory keeps you from bringing it on track grounds... And who is staying home because they can't bring beer to the track? We enjoy a few beers at New Egypt each week we go but if they put a stop to it, it would in no way alter our plans. We'd just buy a beer or two each night if we felt so inclined. I would venture to guess a track makes a nice chunk of change on the brewski's and that if you did the apples to apples any uptick in attendance wouldn't cover the spread.

JP

I like to have a couple beers when I go see a race. If it turned out to be a big deal and the track didnt allow beer, then I wouldnt give that track my business. The people that post on here about all of the "supposed drunks" at all of these tracks must have drinking problems and are upset they cant buy a beer or two while they enjoy the races.Its part of the atmosphere for as long as I can remember. Kinda like going to the ballpark. Its like the movie theatre not selling popcorn if they dont sell beer or let you bring it in.  I guess its ok for some of the fat pigs I see eating cheese fries all night long and taking up two seats or sitting in front of me so I have no leg room.  Bottom line is there is no good reason I can responsibly have a couple beers when Im enjoying the races.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying beer responsibly. However the cemeteries are filled with those who didn't drink responsibly and unfortunately they take others with them. I am disgusted with the sloppy drunks that I find at various race tracks.

You must go out searching for these folk. Because I went to several speedway this year. Almost every week. And only had a problem with idiots one time. One time out of eight months? That could happen at the freakin grocery store
  • Like 2

I don't doubt Matt and partners invested a lot of money into the place. I'm just trying to figure out what business plan they had where they thought they'd see a return on that investment in just two years?? If these guys are business men or ladies, they must know it would take all of 5+ years to start turning a profit and that's without dumping a boatload of money in. I guess being in that chair I can see the craziness about tha statement but I also see on here some think promoters need a rake to bring the money in and it sounds like some of his investors may have been a little delusional too. One thing that matts super right about, the time it takes to do it right. If you want a good track biz it's a full time job and you don't just flip the trash barrels over at 4pm on race day and go racing. Time is the biggest issue I think for him.

I'VE BOUGHT A FEW BUSINESS AND I PLANNED ON MAKING MONEY THAT DAY ,WHY WOULD YOU BUY ONE THAT WAS A LOSER ? YOU DON'T WAIT 5 YEARS TO MAKE MONEY KNOWING THAT GOING IN !

• Like 2

Rumor has it Stew may be calling Orange County home next year..  Can you say Halmar.....

or Atlas Paving??? They have had plenty of success there.

That's what I hear. Also BBL cars at Lebanon Valley has been mentioned too. 

I don't doubt Matt and partners invested a lot of money into the place. I'm just trying to figure out what business plan they had where they thought they'd see a return on that investment in just two years?? If these guys are business men or ladies, they must know it would take all of 5+ years to start turning a profit and that's without dumping a boatload of money in. I guess being in that chair I can see the craziness about tha statement but I also see on here some think promoters need a rake to bring the money in and it sounds like some of his investors may have been a little delusional too. One thing that matts super right about, the time it takes to do it right. If you want a good track biz it's a full time job and you don't just flip the trash barrels over at 4pm on race day and go racing. Time is the biggest issue I think for him.

I'VE BOUGHT A FEW BUSINESS AND I PLANNED ON MAKING MONEY THAT DAY ,WHY WOULD YOU BUY ONE THAT WAS A LOSER ? YOU DON'T WAIT 5 YEARS TO MAKE MONEY KNOWING THAT GOING IN !

I guess I didn't clarify. Didn't mean that the biz shouldn't be making money. But you won't realize an actual profit for years when dumping the money they did in. Between the rent and all the money they put in, even if they made a "profit" each week they really wouldn't make anything until that debt was covered.
  • Like 1

Rumor has it Stew may be calling Orange County home next year..  Can you say Halmar.....

well if that happens there goes another couple of hundred fans. like him or not he puts people in the seats.

• Like 2

Rumor has it Stew may be calling Orange County home next year.. Can you say Halmar.....

well if that happens there goes another couple of hundred fans. like him or not he puts people in the seats.

Yeah, but on the other hand, I know several people who stopped going as often because he was always winning. At least tracks like the Valley had 2 guys trading wins. Fonda became predictable. I think if you remove Stew, the field becomes wide open with Bobby, Ronnie, Mark, Jeremy and others competing week in and week out. Ultimately though, I don't see Stew leaving.
  • Like 2

So who's gonna take it over? I'm interested to see what commanders "plan" is. I'm curious. Think he's gonna pit a bid in? Who else would wanna run it? The Ridge guy? John Wight? Someone else I don't even know about.

If I were a track operator(there are NO promoters anymore) I would have people selling food & drinks continually through the night in the stands. people DO NOT want to leave their seats to go stand in a line & are more likely to buy food & drink if someone sells it to them without having to leave. Why in hell no one does it is beyond me

• Like 4

If I were a track operator(there are NO promoters anymore) I would have people selling food & drinks continually through the night in the stands. people DO NOT want to leave their seats to go stand in a line & are more likely to buy food & drink if someone sells it to them without having to leave. Why in hell no one does it is beyond me

Weedsport does this
  • Like 1

If I were to put in a bid (and I have no intention to), it would read something like this. An initial payment of $10,000 at the signing of the lease (thereafter payed annually on the anniversary of the signing of the lease for its' duration). Then a payment of, lets say for the sake of arguement, a negotiated fee of $1500 to $2000 per completed race event (payable to the Montgomery County Fair Board on the following Monday). This way, if you were to get all your scheduled events in, great, it would add up to somewhere around $45,000 to $60,000 for use of the speedway for the year. If there is a rainout, called prior to the gates opening, you don't pay the weekly amount. This would be the only formula that would work in my opinion. I believe the fair board would agree to something like this, to keep the "Track of Champions" open.

DeLorenzo elaborated that it was not one thing that led to the decision to ask out of the contract.
“The investors want out. We can’t keep digging in our pockets to keep the place going,” he said. “We invested over $400,000 into the place and we are not getting anything back in return. We can’t keep digging into our pockets to keep the place going. It is a business decision.”

This pretty much sounds like most race teams too. Big investments...Nothing in return. How long does a Dinosaur live without food? The purses that tracks are able to pay can't feed teams enough to keep buying $40,000 - $60,000 engines. And there isn't enough sponsors out there. Just my thoughts. As far as fans in the stands..Maybe if they put cell phone, I Phone and Xbox games in every seat, they can get kids to come to the races. lol I sat behind a youngster at the World Finals. 90% of the time his nose was stuck in his Iphone playing games. The writing is on the wall. Drastic changes are needed IMO. And Beer is the least of the worries.

This is an issue in all sports not just racing. There's a reason the jaguars have pools, cabanas and a gigantic screen showing the game and fantasy updates. I talked to a manager with a minor league baseball team, they're working on an app were you can order food from you're phone and they bring it to you. Most of these tracks are not doing enough to attract younger adults

I like your idea, but it appears the board has been spoiled. They just want to sit back rack in as much money as possible and do nothing to clean up the facility and make it respectable. The Fonda Speedway should be a joint business between the owners and the people who are renting. They should work together for the betterment of the facility and the surrounding communities. Fonda Speedway has deteriorated gradually over the years to the point where people were disgusted to even walk into the bathrooms. And there is only one group of people to blame, the owner. These people should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for allowing this huge part of history in Montgomery country to become an eyesore. The Delorenzo group should be commended for their unforgiving attempt to improve not only the fairgrounds but also in attempting to bring life back to such a historic icon of the city of Fonda. In my eyes its a pity members and local residents that sit on the board haven't stepped up over the years and progressively made improvements to make the community proud. One could only hope, they take better care of their own personnel property and show respect for their neighbors, rather than what they did with the fair grounds, running it into the ground over the years. Again, thank you so much Matty and your group for all your hard work. Your improvements will be viewable for years to come, whether we enjoy racing there or not!

• Like 6

Just think if jake takes over, the track should turn into a big block track as he has complained about that for years..

And if that isnt enough I would have to believe with all the crying about the sportsman pay, jake would make it $1000 to win every week...

I like your idea, but it appears the board has been spoiled. They just want to sit back rack is as much money as possible and do nothing to clean up the facility and make it respectable. The Fonda Speedway should be a joint business between the owners and the people who are renting. They should work together for the betterment of the facility and the surrounding communities. Fonda Speedway has deteriorated gradually over the years to the point where people were disgusted to even walk into the bathrooms. And there is only one group of people to blame, the owner. These people should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for allowing this huge part of history in Montgomery country to become an eyesore. The Delorenzo group should be commended for their unforgiving attempt to improve not only the fairgrounds but also in attempting to bring life back to such a historic icon of the city of Fonda. In my eyes its a pity members and local residents that sit on the board haven't stepped up over the years and progressively made improvements to make the community proud. One could only hope, they take better care of their own personnel property and show respect for their neighbors, rather than what they did with the fair grounds, running it into the ground over the years. Again, thank you so much Matty and your group for all your hard work. Your improvements will be viewable for years to come, whether we enjoy racing there or not!

I was very impressed with what I saw there for the series race in September. Overall a real nice fairgrounds and race track. Great facility in my opinion. I hadn't been there before Matt fixed it up. So I don't know how bad a shape it was. A friend and I left very happy though, very impressed with the racing, the facility, the staff, everything about the place. And wishing the track was closer to home
  • Like 3

Just think if jake takes over, the track should turn into a big block track as he has complained about that for years..

And if that isnt enough I would have to believe with all the crying about the sportsman pay, jake would make it $1000 to win every week...

your RIGHT I DID BITCH ABOUT THE TRACK  BUT I WOULD MAKE IT A BIG BLK. TRACK BY THE SAME WAY THEY DO AT TRACKS OUT WEST BY WEIGHT AND 22 I WISH I COULD PAY A GRAND  BUT 5 IS GOOD TO START AND DRIVERS WILL GET PAID AT THE END OF THE NITE!!  RIGHT NOW WE HAVE TO SEE IF YOU CAN INVEST $300,000. AND MAKE A PROFIT !! FIRST THE FAIR BOARD HAS TO WANT US AND THEN FIND GOOD EQUIPMENT TO OPERATE THE PLACE.

Sounds like Mr Spraker may have the" itch "we are all hoping he has and wants the track. Sure would be nice to see mud stuck on the cement walls going into turn 1 again....like the Old Fonda Speedway had.

I like Fonda a lot as well . The improvements they made look great . The SDS race was very good . A lot of close racing throughout the race in the top five . I went the week before because I had a feeling Brewerton was going to get rained out . The Pro Stock race was amazing ! I also went for the Jack Johnson night and the night that the ESS were in town . Pretty sure it was my first time seeing sprint cars there . Anyone remember if they had sprint cars the year Danny won in Mike Payne's 27j when he and Stew made contact at the start/ finish line ? I was there that day , but I can't remember if they had sprint cars . Racing at night you get a better sense of the speed than during the day . Wish I had went when the All Stars were there a few years ago . They must have been flying around there . I just hope however takes it over keeps up with what Delorenzo's group was doing . Would really hate to see the place close .

I like Fonda a lot as well . The improvements they made look great . The SDS race was very good . A lot of close racing throughout the race in the top five . I went the week before because I had a feeling Brewerton was going to get rained out . The Pro Stock race was amazing ! I also went for the Jack Johnson night and the night that the ESS were in town . Pretty sure it was my first time seeing sprint cars there . Anyone remember if they had sprint cars the year Danny won in Mike Payne's 27j when he and Stew made contact at the start/ finish line ? I was there that day , but I can't remember if they had sprint cars . Racing at night you get a better sense of the speed than during the day . Wish I had went when the All Stars were there a few years ago . They must have been flying around there . I just hope however takes it over keeps up with what Delorenzo's group was doing . Would really hate to see the place close .

They had an ESS race that day

They were a lot better on a track that was not so rubbered up , when I seen them this year .

I really wish I could have gone to the late model show, but it was on a week day, so that killed my plans for going. The best class for racing all year this year at fonda was definatly the pro stocks. Matt did a great job this year.
  • Like 1