Is that for the whole week ? Is 4 or 5 nights of racing ? I think they start on Tuesday , but I can't remember .

If that's for the whole week that's actually a good deal, in terms of amount and quality of racing that you get for that money.  

• Like 1

If that's for the whole week that's actually a good deal, in terms of amount and quality of racing that you get for that money.

I was going to say the same thing . It's around 264.62 a person . You have to factor in that it is being held indoors as well . I would think it's very limited seating . You get to see drivers from all over the country in one place . I don't know how many races they do a night , but Saturday would be the alphabet soup day . If you divide that 264 by however many laps you get to see it is probably an even better deal . You don't have to worry about a rainout .
  • Like 1

Its for five nights. Which really isn't bad. I couldn't imagine a better way to spend a week. So I'm sure it will be worth every penny. Tues-sat. Most likely going to opt for the pit passes.

Its for five nights. Which really isn't bad. I couldn't imagine a better way to spend a week. So I'm sure it will be worth every penny. Tues-sat. Most likely going to opt for the pit passes.

My Wife & I are heading down from 'Cuse. We are meeting MRKLEEN & his Bride there, they are from this area, but they spend their Winters in Vegas. We will all be together for the week. I plan to be there sometime late Saturday or early Sunday. We will attend the practice Day on Monday, racing begins on Tuesday. The first thing you must do when you arrive at the Expo Center is upgrade your Seats/Tickets for a Pit Pass for the week. They will take your Tickets, they will write your Seat identification on your Pit Wristband. The cost for an upgrade is less than the cost of a full out Pit Pass, with the same functions/allowances.

This will be my first ever time going to the Chili bowl and I gotta say I can't wait!! Not only do we get to see all that racing we get to hang with Jumper12a and his great wife! The only downfall will be that my wife is going to basically hang out and party with us cause unfortunately she is not a race fan..I talked her into going and I had to sacrifice a week on the beach in Mexico last week...I would say I won this time
  • Like 1

I'm excited for those who are getting to go.  It'd be great for when you returned to provide us all with a detailed update to how your trip went complete with pics.  It's on my bucket list for sure. 

I've always wondered if the fumes get bad in the building. 

As a first timer you will definitely notice the fumes, especially on Saturday. I've gotten used to it but still notice them on Saturday. Especially if it's cold out because then they don't open up the garage door as often for ventilation.

I've always wondered if the fumes get bad in the building.

As a first timer you will definitely notice the fumes, especially on Saturday. I've gotten used to it but still notice them on Saturday. Especially if it's cold out because then they don't open up the garage door as often for ventilation.
I stopped going, in part, because of the fumes. Some times I'd return home with an upper respiratory virus. Hard to say if it's due to the fumes or being trapped in a confined space with 10,000 people during cold and flu season. Probably a little of both. And even though smoking isn't allowed (ironic I know) people smoke cigarettes anyway. I was surrounded by smokers. After several days it can get to you. At the very least, I'd get a sore throat so I always kept throat lozenges handy. And I always wore a paper painters mask. You learn to grab fresh air whenever you can during down times.

Is there a lot of opportunity for downtime each night? I'm willing to take the chances of catching a cold. I'm sure it will be worth it. How's the food? Concessions outrageous or fair priced?

Is there a lot of opportunity for downtime each night? I'm willing to take the chances of catching a cold. I'm sure it will be worth it. How's the food? Concessions outrageous or fair priced?

Oh, it’s worth it.  They’ve made improvements to the ventilation every year so it’s much improved from what it once was. Still, you can get a little woozy after five days.  The track is re-worked multiple times during the night, each night, so there are plenty of breaks in the action to step outside or huddle near the several overhead doors they pop open.

The food’s nothing to write home about and lines are long so I found it best to fill up at a restaurant beforehand. The highlight for some is their Frito Pie (Fritos topped with chili, onions and cheese eaten out of the bag).  One of the odd quirks about the Chili Bowl, and it’s been a few years so this may have changed, but people are allowed to wander through the pits with open containers of beer.

This one is definitely on my list of races to get to... It just seems like it would be a seriously interesting week getting to watch the best in the oval world duke it out and just all of the people you'll meet from around the country and beyond.

JP

One thing that you can't say to yourself after a week after the Chili Bowl is, man, I wish I was able to see more racing for what I paid for. They'll typically have 8 heat races for each prelim night. The top 35-40 in points after heat races I believe advances to an "A qualifier" and they have four of them. Then after the 4 A Qualifiers, the top 16 transfer to the A-main, and the rest go to the C main, and B mains. C main cars are cars that don't get to run the qualifers. They have two C Mains. Two transfer out of each. Then the B's consist of the cars between 17th-40th in points after the A Qualifiers and heat races. Plus the four cars from the two C's. There are two B's. Four transfer out of each B to make up the 24 car starting field. So each prelim night there are 16 races plus the 25 lap A main. 16 x 4 (prelim nights) is 64. Saturday they will start with the P main  or maybe the Q main. I don't remember how low they went as they had about 320 cars last year. And they have two of each letter besides the A main. For $260 for a general admission pass for the week, that really is nothing for what you're seeing. Oh, and you also don't have to worry about a rain-out for the 5 nights of racing. 

There is some downtime, but not much, they move the show along pretty well each night. Saturday there is much more time, especially during the Ceremonies, Parade of Flags, etc...

The fumes do bother some folks, as I have been told by some. I can honestly say, the fumes have never bothered me. Although I'm sure it's worse in some areas of seating than others. My seats are way up high in turn 4, it's not bad at all up there.

As far as concessions go, like Jay said, the food is ok, but not great. Although I will say I haven't really bought any food there since my first one in 2004. As I have gotten older, I've grown tired of track food, so we always eat at a good restaurant prior to heading to the Expo Center.

Also, as Jay mentioned, they sell beer in the pits. This allows anyone who has a Pit Pass to go anywhere with their adult beverage, unlike what we're normally used to in racing. So if you're an avid beer drinker, I highly recommend upgrading to a Pit Pass. If you have a Pit Pass, you can park on the backside of the Expo Center, enter the Pits from that side of the building (instead of entering through the Main Entrance out front). At the Rear Entrance you are allowed to bring in your own beer, you are not allowed out front. This allows the teams to bring in their alcohol if they choose, especially for those who may not race until say Friday. For what you will save in costs with BYOB, as opposed too buying their beer all week, you will more than pay for your Pit Pass upgrade.
  • Like 1

Only 3.2 beer is sold in Oklahoma so that BYOB you pick up at the supermarket in Tulsa or buy at the track is going to have a little less kick than the beer you normally might drink at home. You can find the higher ABV craft beers in town, but only at liquor stores.

Only 3.2 beer is sold in Oklahoma so that BYOB you pick up at the supermarket in Tulsa or buy at the track is going to have a little less kick than the beer you normally might drink at home. You can find the higher ABV craft beers in town, but only at liquor stores.

Or bring your own from home
  • Like 2

This is starting to be one educational thread! Far from the norm :lol:

• Like 4

Or bring your own from home

miller lite is only 1.2% :mellow:

• Like 2

If only I could bring a case of Molson on the plane haha. Thanks for all the good advice and information. Our seats are down low in turn four. I'm hoping they have a good view. I heard from a few that theres not much to do in Tulsa. But I'm hoping I can at least find a good photo restaurant and an old time honkey tonk somewhere in town. How's the weather in Oklahoma during that time of year? And how accessible are the drivers?

Tulsa's a good size city. Bigger than say Buffalo or even Pittsburgh. Lots of good restaurants. When I used to go, the hot spot after the races was The Elephant Run Bar but I think it's no more.

Most drivers are accessible. It's pretty laid back until race time. Best time to roam the pits is early afternoon during the week. The pits are open to those without a pit pass during the day.

Tulsa weather in January is a crapshoot. It could be 65-70. Could be 20 degrees with an ice storm. Seen both and everything in between.

Where are your seats in turn 4? The main grandstand,which is between 3 and 4? Or the frontstretch bleachers? The view will be fine either place. If on the frontstretch though, you might want to pack a hockey mask but a good pair of goggles will suffice. Just prepared to get hit with some clay during hot laps or when a tall cushion develops in the feature.