Surprised nobody has mentioned JZ yet. Always will to take time to say Hello and the kids love her. I have some female friends that go to the races because of her, as they are huge fans.

In the sprint car world, Terry McCarl actually struck up a conversation with me... I was pretty impressed by that.  Like everyone has said - I don't think there are many that are "unapproachable" , but some probably are less likely to talk to you than others.

23 hours ago, Big block kid said:

Bobby varin has always been good to me and lots of kids, he lakes the time to talk to and sign and autograph for every kid.

I few years back, I noticed that he took the time to ask the kids what their name was and how to spell it correctly.  Nice touch. 

1 hour ago, Fulbrew said:

I few years back, I noticed that he took the time to ask the kids what their name was and how to spell it correctly.  Nice touch. 

Steve Kinser has the kids sign his drivers suit and tells them them they may be famous someday and he'll have their autograph...  

when the USNA was running at albany-saratoga after the race the adults of course discussing the race i realized my10 year old had taken off. (wasn't concerned he knew a-s well). went to pits and there he is helping Brightbill pushing his car in hauler. i told him to leave him alone he has to get going. Ken turned and said he's fine his helps only costing me a autograph so we hung out till his work was done. always stood out in my mind.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, flach43fan said:

JOHNNY SCARBOROUGH! 

As long as your'e wearing a helmet!!!!....LOL

• Like 2

I remember approaching J. Horton at Rolling Wheels during the 80's. At that time he was racing part time in NASCAR. He could of cared less about me. Totally unfriendly. Saw him later at a sponsor event - same thing - he didn't get it !  No wonder his career stalled into a Sat. night local racer.

1 hour ago, skierpilot said:

I remember approaching J. Horton at Rolling Wheels during the 80's. At that time he was racing part time in NASCAR. He could of cared less about me. Totally unfriendly. Saw him later at a sponsor event - same thing - he didn't get it !  No wonder his career stalled into a Sat. night local racer.

Jimmy Horton may not be as personable as some of the other drivers listed in this thread, but come on. There are lots and lots and lots of great short-track racers across the country who never even get  to places like Daytona and Talladega, much less win at those places like Horton did. Brett Hearn is the most professional driver in dirt Modifieds and even his career "stalled into a Saturday night racer." Same thing with Tim McCreadie after a couple Busch/Nationwide series starts.

Dale Earnhardt wasn't exactly the Queen of England every waking moment. He could be surly and irritable at times as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skierpilot said:

thought this thread was approachable not unapproachable. i knew it would go to the negative they always do.

• Like 2

Try talking to Sammy swindell  if he doesnt run up front lol. I've tried a few occasions when I've scene him and he ignores you and just walks away lol. 

Bobby Varin, Ronnie and Jack. But one of my most memorable and most approachable was Kenny Shoemaker. He would hang around after the races and you could ask him anything and he would always be smiling and laughing. He always had a big crowd around him in the pits after the race. He just seemed like he was really having fun no matter what you asked him or said to him. And Jack would stop in the middle of a conversation to give his attention to the kids who came walking up to see him. 

• Like 1