Great news for orange county fans, this saturday the big block modifieds have been added to the program and is a regular points event, so you got urc sprints, twin 15s for the small blocks, sportsman, rookies and street stocks. action packed saturday night

• Like 1

I think it is twin 15's for the small blocks. Im guessing they will race the first 15 laps, stop on the front stretch and redraw the top 10 or so, similar to the big block twin 20's. That is just a guess but it keeps it interesting.

• Like 1

Sad to say, but when I was at OCFS a week ago, I observed very little passing.  Top point drivers used to start at the rear and work their way to the front.  With the cars of today all being fairly equal, and track condition, that's no longer something drivers can do.  I was in the pits and used to sit in the 1/2 covered.  The 1/2 covered sure did not have many fans in it a week ago (when the Sprints were on the card.  Question is - where are all the fans?  I can also remember when wives/girl friends & children of the drivers were in the stands instead of in the pits.  Eventuall, some little one will get hit by a race car in the pit area.  Then what?

18kylebusch, in his post above mine, thinks more laps would help.  I do not think so.  Mostly the "racing" I saw was darn near 100% follow the car in front of you.

1 hour ago, Tom Avenengo said:

Sad to say, but when I was at OCFS a week ago, I observed very little passing.  Top point drivers used to start at the rear and work their way to the front.  With the cars of today all being fairly equal, and track condition, that's no longer something drivers can do.  I was in the pits and used to sit in the 1/2 covered.  The 1/2 covered sure did not have many fans in it a week ago (when the Sprints were on the card.  Question is - where are all the fans?  I can also remember when wives/girl friends & children of the drivers were in the stands instead of in the pits.  Eventuall, some little one will get hit by a race car in the pit area.  Then what?

18kylebusch, in his post above mine, thinks more laps would help.  I do not think so.  Mostly the "racing" I saw was darn near 100% follow the car in front of you.

If I recall the "feels like" temperature was 105.  I'm sure that had a lot to do with the lack of fans and a track surface not ideal for passing.

The crowd is about the same each week drive in area seems more crowded there was the heat and a storm did pass threw area about 3 pm  

Yes, passing has been very limited this year compared to other years. Track is very smooth, and very fast in one lane compared to other lanes.  If you step out of that lane the guy behind you is by in a flash. I think the hard sun on the track, tons of cars hot lapping in the strong sun plays a key part. After hot laps it is generally narrow immediately. This week URC will be there. My hope is they can blow the track off a bit wider early in the night. We certainly have the strongest fields of cars in the northeast. If you go Saturday, and I hope you do, you will see tons of cars, lots of racing. Small blocks, rookies and sportsman always provide the best racing of the night and they will all be there. Mods have been added as well so its a lot of racing for the $.

• Like 3

So whats the answer to better racing at oc? better track surface,less hp to cars,banking turns make track smaller,I would like to know,,as I no longer go there to watch,as like Tom says its just not as exciting as it was years ago,,theres the main reason fan count has dropped.

You know passing has to be at a premium if someone like Stew isn't picking up wins. But the size of the field, as compared with others in the North East is impressive. There are only a handful of tracks pulling in more cars on a weekly basis and you have some great drivers with Stew, Jimmy, Jerry, Tommy, etc.

Weekly Car Counts 2016

1 Albany-Saratoga Speedway (2016) 31.00
2 Grandview Speedway (2016) 27.93
3 Big Diamond Speedway (2016) 25.30
4 Canandaigua Motorsports Park (2016) 24.36
5 Thunder Mountain Speedway (2016) 23.97
6 Orange County Fair Speedway (2016) 23.86
7 Lebanon Valley Speedway (2016) 23.37
8 Five Mile Point Speedway (2016) 22.86
9 RPM Speedway (2016) 22.81
10 New Egypt Speedway (2016) 22.80

Jerry Higbie - I'd love to go on Saturday night.  However there's a slight problem - I'm down in Cape Coral, Florida.  Was "back home" for just one week.  Glad it didn't rain on Saturday when I was rhere, though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tom Avenengo said:

A week ago we rained out.

31 minutes ago, Tom Avenengo said:

Jerry Higbie - I'd love to go on Saturday night.  However there's a slight problem - I'm down in Cape Coral, Florida.  Was "back home" for just one week.  Glad it didn't rain on Saturday when I was rhere, though.

You must have been there 2 weeks ago. Last week, like I said, we rained out.