MikeMallett

Why Matt Sheppard Didn't go to Eastern States

15 hours ago, 22racingteam said:

How much of a business sense does it make to go to Charlotte? He pretty much already had the points locked up.  He would have to probably win both nights to break even

And he did.

Mallet the buzzkill getting the facts from the horses mouth should kill this topic, lol

• Like 1

It's Matt's business where he wants to race anyways. If he didn't want to run Eastern States for whatever reason, that's his business. Regardless, chalk up another for Mr. Sheppard.

12 hours ago, leroy said:

you would think so...........:whistle:

It just worked out he was offered a ride to race.  Not the big deal it was made out to be.    

Agreed, I guess I was beating the dead horse.......

i think some (maybe) are looking at it as Matt disrespecting one of the Crown Jewels of Dirt Modified racing???? Which I completely disagree. It appeared to be just a business decision.

a lot of really good drivers stayed home or raced somewhere else that weekend. Just Matt got a lot of attention because he is Matt Sheppard, and with all the superstars in the era of social media everything he does racing wise is under a microscope. 

I would imagine if social media was around in Barefoot Bobs era and he decided not to race a big event we would be getting the same reaction 

2 minutes ago, scottv36 said:

cant help but think that Matt was the only DIRT driver that did not goto Orange County

Pat Ward? Larry Wight? Tim Fuller? Max McLaughlin?

9 minutes ago, scottv36 said:

cant help but think that Matt was the only DIRT driver that did not goto Orange County

I think there were a few drivers, DIRT and  nonDIRT, that would of perhaps went to OC (never know for sure), but the track at Oswego did damage to the cars they wanted to use.   According to story on front page Larry's car was junk afterward, other than motor.

Orange County had enough cars anyway

Teams can obviously support whatever track or races they want. But I think the reason the decision drew a lot of reaction is that a team will travel all over the Northeast for $35,000 purses, but skip a race in New York with a purse of over $100,000.

As I said, teams can race wherever they want, But it is the Jake Spraker situation at Glen Ridge all over again. If teams (not just Matt Sheppard) skip a $100,000 purse to run for much smaller purses that weekend and throughout the year, why should promoters/tracks pay more than they did in the 1980s? The reason the SDS points pay less now than they did 25 years ago is because teams support running for less.

• Like 4

the money does not matter if your not prepared to go. Equipment etc.  that's why all teams pick and choose

.Matt wasn't the only driver who chased the entire SDS that skipped OC. 

The reason Matt wins so many races is because the 9s team is always prepared when they show up.    

Theres a difference between just showing up at races and racing to win 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaRooster said:

What drivers race dirt modifieds for a living?  Brett, Matt, Stew.  Anyone else?  

Danny Johnson?

or is he living just on cashing revenue checks from Traction Grabber?

Tim Fuller?

what does he do during week?  financial advisor for Edward Jones?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leroy said:

Danny Johnson?

Tim Fuller?

Even the top "full time" drivers have some side business

Brett sells the plate and promotes a race

Stew and Jessica own a T-shirt printing business

I remember someone saying Matt and his wife has something too but I forget off the top of my head......

so really there is no full time racer anymore in dirt......unlike 1997 where you had a bunch of em.

4 hours ago, leroy said:

Danny Johnson?

Tim Fuller?

Fuller owns a bar. 

4 hours ago, AndyCrane said:

Even the top "full time" drivers have some side business

Brett sells the plate and promotes a race

Stew and Jessica own a T-shirt printing business

I remember someone saying Matt and his wife has something too but I forget off the top of my head......

so really there is no full time racer anymore in dirt......unlike 1997 where you had a bunch of em.

Sheppard makes bodies on the side. I also want to say he does something else as well, but in all honesty I dont know for certain so i dont want to say so and get it shoved up my butt for being wrong.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:13 PM, Towman said:

I can't believe that so many people are worried about what Matt Sheppard is or isn't doing..with all the BB races and Drivers out there giving us all great entertainment week in and week out. If you really care that much take a trip to Waterloo, N.Y. with your lounge chair and I'm sure Superman would let you sit and stare at the 9S racecar all day......

I think you're on to something here.  Maybe the top drivers can make money over the winter letting people sit next to the car, in the car, and sleep with/in the car.  Yeaaa, really get the fan experience.

Maybe blow confetti at the person on the roof and take pictures (like they let one crew member do-haha-that was great).  That's easily a $35-40 package right there.  Let them hold a trophy of some sort for another $15.

On 10/30/2016 at 4:06 PM, leakin_fluids said:

Am I the only one who is still hung up on the "between five and six thousand to go"?

No wonder the list of regular winners is so small.

I was thinking the exact same thing.  Not that it's a surprise really, but it does put it into perspective.  And that's assuming you don't tear anything up.  A bad crash or a nuked engine and you could be talking ten times that.   

Isn't this horse dead yet?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, demoderbyman said:

i'm kinda FONDA matt  myself

So from what I can gather, Matt is going to be hauling out to Fonda in Dave Raushers hauler because Matt's wife said so. Maybe because they are tired of looking at asses or dealing with asses every Saturday.

This is just what I can deduce from your last 4 posts on this thread and another... if you got this scoop nailed you might put Jakes fortune telling business out of commission... 

Almost makes me want to read a dirtchicks post again....

Would You Please Free Foster!!! The FBI came back and said that there is no collusion with Matt Shepard or the Hillary Clinton campaign at all!!!

• Like 2