Merrittville Speedway held their 2017 opener Saturday under new track owner Don Speice. The transition from The Bicknell/Willaimson ownership seemed to be almost seamless. The pits were packed with over a 100 cars and nearly full fields in all four classes. The program ran off without a hitch and was completed in 3.5 hours, and that's with Sprints on the card. Track was in great shape lots of passing and little dust. Looks like it's going to a great season at Merrittville.

• Like 3

This post kind of proves my point. Since there are no responses if the racing is good and there is nothing to argue over or bash somebody about nobody cares, or cares enough to respond. Interesting.

• Like 1

Interesting was the price to get in. Interesting is bicknells still there. Once they're gone and not helping with things then we'll see if transition was smooth..  AND what happens about the head to head race in August with humberstone and if the two tracks can come together for the drivers since they put the drivers in an unfair place over their decisions. Meaning points races. If they did show up points for a class or two it would be good for all! There's a post for you. 

If I had just bought a successful business and was new to track ownership I wouldn't mind having the guidance of someone who was successful. Did I think the prices were high? Yes a bit, but it was a good show and comparing that to what others endured over the weekend I felt glad to see a good show. As far as August? It's over 3 months away, let's see what transpires then.

• Like 3

This exact same thing happened at cornwall speedway,long time owner promoter RonMorin sold the track to the lavigne family.Ron has stayed on I think mainly at this point in a track prep role,while showing the new owners the ropes..its working out great..the lavigne family have pumped a lot of money into the place..brand new stands were put in last year and last fall a new track surface was laid.

• Like 3

I thought the Spring Sizzler was a huge success for the first race for the new ownership .Good car counts . a great crowd and the track was in great condition .Possemember what did you think Bicknell wasn,t going to be there ,he has an invested interest in the track staying open so why not help with the  transition ? As for the August race Merrittville was going to give the drivers a night off and have an enduro , then Humberstone decide to have a race on saturday (merrittville's night) against them .When Andrew Sittler ask to have a 37 lap  $3700 TO WIN 358 modified memorial race for his late father ,they put the night back on the schedule . Humberstone could easily pigback this race with there race on sunday (there night ) and it would be a win - win for both tracks and drivers ! I would think that would be working together !

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Humberstone only Rented their track to ROC for the night. Doesn't make a lick of difference to me as I'll be at Humberstone regardless. 

On topic of the opener. I thought we had great car counts in all classes (b main for the Sportsman). Track was in great shape and there seemed to be a lot of fans in the stands from what I could see pit side. 

Wish Don and family well in their new venture. 

• Like 1