Sign in to follow this  
PatsJags14

NASCAR Fans Continue to amaze

About a year ago NASCAR started limiting the down force. It seemed to improve the racing and the fans loved it so of course NASCAR stuck with it. A NASCAR post showed up on my Facebook today that they are putting that sticky substance down again to try and make NHMS two grooves sunday. This would add mechanical grip. I couldnt believe that there were all these comments saying NASCAR needs to put the big spoilers back on so its easier to drive the cars...ARE YOU KIDDING?! We just had that and it was awful racing. We need to keep taking downforce away. I feel bad for the people at NASCAR that have to make these decisions. The fans hate everything they do. 

Putting the syrup on the track to get mechanical grip is just about the same thing as putting the spoilers back on.

I would rather that NASCAR do neither the above.

The last thing NASCAR needs to do is make the cars easier to drive. 

Don't the teams already get two or three practice sessions before every event?

Just line up and race.  These drivers are supposed to be good.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, leroy said:

Putting the syrup on the track to get mechanical grip is just about the same thing as putting the spoilers back on.

Not if done right.  Changing the spoiler would help the car wherever the driver chooses to put it.  With the syrup, you can put it in one area and only help the cars driving in that area.  Putting it on the top lane of a bottom lane dominated track encourages someone to use that lane and in theory provides a better race to watch.  

It's not about the drivers not being good enough.  It's about helping a track that may not be conducive to good racing.   Oswego used something like this last season.  It wasn't a cure all, but showed some promise.

good theory

I liken it to everyone driving where the rubber gets put down on a rubbered up track.

how did all these tracks that used to conducive to good racing all the sudden become not good enough anymore

13 hours ago, leroy said:

how did all these tracks that used to conducive to good racing all the sudden become not good enough anymore

Exactly.  The more aero dependent the cars become, the worse the racing gets - in any series.  People raved about the wingless Sprint show last month at Weedsport...coincidence?  I've always said that the most entertaining races to watch are the ones where the cars handle like crap and the drivers need to manhandle them around the track.  Go back and watch the very first Brickyard 400 with Jeff Gordon and Ernie Irvan.  That was one of the best Cup races I've ever watched.

Want to fix NASCAR?  Knock a 6" x 60" hole in the front grill and take the splitters off.  Aero push will be gone because even on a track by themselves there won't be any front downforce.  It will force drivers to actually get out of the gas entering the corners rather than flat foot it 75% of the way around the turns. 

JMO.  I could be wrong.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2017 at 9:52 PM, ramspatsjags14 said:

I feel bad for the people at NASCAR that have to make these decisions. The fans hate everything they do. 

Meh...that doesn't absolve NASCAR for making dozens of bad decisions and telling their fanbase to go piss off if they don't like it. That seems really weak to blame the fans for all the unpopular moves NASCAR has made in recent years.

3 hours ago, FightForTheRail said:

Meh...that doesn't absolve NASCAR for making dozens of bad decisions and telling their fanbase to go piss off if they don't like it. That seems really weak to blame the fans for all the unpopular moves NASCAR has made in recent years.

The fans seem to hate everything...that's the problem. NASCAR gives them what they want then they complain.

On 7/13/2017 at 8:12 AM, leroy said:

I would rather that NASCAR do neither the above.

The last thing NASCAR needs to do is make the cars easier to drive. 

Don't the teams already get two or three practice sessions before every event?

Just line up and race.  These drivers are supposed to be good.

I wish they would eliminate a practice session. 

I'm not a fan of adding stuff to the track but we'll see if it makes the racing better. In way it's the same as track prep on a dirt track

• Like 1

Maybe its just me?  But I don't remember fans complaining before NASCAR started wholesale changes.  anyone else? 

fans were happy.  the gate was healthier than now.

Fans being unhappy and "Changes" is a fabrication by NASCAR to do the dumb shtt they are doing .  including the CHASE

The majority of fans were perfectly happy,  I know I was.

All the "Changes"  are what turned a lot of fans off!

Ever watch the old NASCAR races during rain delays?  kick ass seat of your pants racing!!!  why was that?

That's what REAL racing was all about!!!!! 

Its stupid as the day is long.  Don't fix what aint broke. ;)

But Brian France did not get that memo.  He single handidly destructed the most popular racing series on the frkn continent in a short period of time

• Like 2

DIRTcar Qualifying WORKS without 2nd and 3rd rounds. Best of 2 Laps works.  Do the people really want STAGE RACING? (Unnecessary Cautions) How about a vote on it. 

Nobody asked but what would I change?.....

1. Get rid of Stage racing.  Have 1 Stage - the green flag to the checkered.

2. Get rid of the Chase.  Most asinine idea ever.  Kevin Harvick could mail it in every week from now until mid September if he wanted to.

3. Get rid of the Lucky Dog.  No wave arounds.  Charity.  Welfare.  Artificial lead lap cars every time the yellow flies.  Want your lap back?  Pass the leader under green and earn it.

4. Get rid of knockout qualifying.  Want to make it more exciting?  Run time trials but count 2 or 4 consecutive laps (like Indy 500).  Record the total time and line them up that way.  One round.

5. Shorten most races by 100 laps or 100 miles.  People don't want to sit in front of the TV watching a 4 hour race.

6. Shorten the schedule.  Do they really need to go to California twice?  And Phoenix twice?  And Vegas twice?  And New Hampshire twice?  Maybe these tracks having one date would help with their attendance; and a 28 race season has to be easier to fund than a 36 race season.

7. Take the Bud Shootout back to 20 laps (like it used to be), and limit it to the previous year's pole winners (like it used to be).

8.  Move the All Star race to Richmond where guys can rub and bang a little without the consequences of a 180 mph wall banging wreck like you would have at Charlotte.

9. Want to make winning more important?  Give 50 points for a win, then 39, 38, 37.... 3, 2, 1 for last.  No points to lead any laps or most laps.  It's a race, and all that matters is the finishing order.  You don't get a medal for leading halfway in the Olympic marathon...

10. For the love of all that is holy....dump the Waltrip brothers and half of the other clowns they have in the broadcast booth and utilize intelligent, entertaining commentators.  Half the perception of the sport as being backwards and 'hick' is because of the people they have calling the races.  I've never tuned in to an F1 broadcast and heard Bob Varsha blabbering 'Boogity Boogity...'.

JMO..... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't hate stage racing.  I thought I would, but I really don't.  Now if they could improve the product from start to finish and not have the first 2/3 of the race be just ride around time I'd be ok with losing the stages too.  Making the races shorter overall might accomplish all of this in one shot.   

I don't hate the IDEA of the chase, but I absolutely, totally hate how they do it now.  1 final race determines the champion?  No.  It has to be a culmination of multiple races.  Racing is the only sport where teams not actually involved in your championship can ruin your outcome.  Imagine if Truex had been wrecked out at Miami last year by a back marker car, and lost the championship because of it?

I don't hate the lucky dog either, but maybe there should be more stipulation to it.  I like that it gives a guy who has an early problem, a flat tire or whatever, a chance to come back when prior his day was pretty much over at that point.  But maybe the lucky dog should only exist in the first 2 stages or something.  Or if you qualify in the top 15 you're eligible for the LD, if not you're probably slow anyhow.

I'd love to see 2 tire compounds.  Mix up the strategy, change the speeds between cars.  Add some interesting storylines....."Can Larson go 150 laps on hard tires or will Busch on soft tires be enough faster to make up for stopping with 50 to go?"  I dunno.  Try something that might be interesting.      

On 3/28/2018 at 6:08 AM, ChrisAkulis said:

3. Get rid of the Lucky Dog.  No wave arounds.  Charity.  Welfare.  Artificial lead lap cars every time the yellow flies.  Want your lap back?  Pass the leader under green and earn it. 

10. I've never tuned in to an F1 broadcast and heard Bob Varsha blabbering 'Boogity Boogity...'

3 - I kinda like this idea because of one word - cautions. Obviously the purist race fan would definitely say it's out there. If a team made some changes or track conditions changed which helped the car become faster and better handling but keep losing ground because they have to line up towards the back with one lap down every caution, that kinda sucks. So, they never really get the chance to 'earn' their lap back. So I don't think having 1 lucky dog is such a bad thing.

I will say that if you are lucky enough to get the lucky dog and then win the race that you truly are a lucky dog. I mean, statistically, that's a big feat.

10 - I think a lot of people get excited when they hear this. Lol.

The issue of what to do with lapped cars on restarts is a problem, or at least a question, in almost all types of racing.  I actually think the lucky dog thing almost might be the best way to deal with it.  Always putting all lapped cars behind lead lap cars pretty much ensures you'll never get that lap back and your day might be over on lap 2.  The old way of lead lap in one row and lap down in another row was just silly.  Or having cars stay out and join the "tail end" where the leader might be the tenth car in line.  Some sanctions just slot them in wherever they're running, so the leader might have 4 lapped cars between him and second place.  That's probably the most "fair" way to do it, but it sucks as a fan.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, luke81 said:

The issue of what to do with lapped cars on restarts is a problem, or at least a question, in almost all types of racing.  I actually think the lucky dog thing almost might be the best way to deal with it.  Always putting all lapped cars behind lead lap cars pretty much ensures you'll never get that lap back and your day might be over on lap 2.  The old way of lead lap in one row and lap down in another row was just silly.  Or having cars stay out and join the "tail end" where the leader might be the tenth car in line.  Some sanctions just slot them in wherever they're running, so the leader might have 4 lapped cars between him and second place.  That's probably the most "fair" way to do it, but it sucks as a fan.  

I could see slotting them in with wherever they were running when the caution came out like you said.  Sounds more than fair to me as well.

This is why I love race monitor. It helps me keep track of the exact order of the field but still have the live action in front of me.

I'm surprised NASCAR or individual dirt tracks don't have their own apps that allow you get this information. I'm not sure if the track pays money to race monitor or not. I feel this definitely benefits my fan experience.

You can get more info sitting in your living room on the TV screen versus being in the stands. They should try to encourage ways to increase fan base and watch the race in person, not discourage. I know NASCAR is a for profit business. . .but giving the people in attendance little perks is only helping themselves.

Maybe NASCAR has an app like race monitor but I couldn't find it. Seems like they were more interested in having you rent the fanvision package from racing electronics. Which is fine for people that want that but i care more about the names, position, and times. Not honing in on the cockpit view of one particular driver.

I think NASCAR should have one race a year that is equivalent to RC racing. Meaning, they race against the clock and the most laps wins. They could do this on a track that they hit twice. Set the clock for 2 hours. The clock doesn't stop and see who has the most laps at the end. Cautions you would line up with who has the most laps in front.

The strategy would totally change and would add some spice to the mix. 

The effectiveness of the spooge wears away quickly, and is only good for the first part of a race. I was at Bristol on Saturday and they had the spooge on the bottom which helped the boys get through the turn nicely, but they were spinning their wheels upon exit.

On 8/20/2018 at 2:06 PM, Spazman said:

The effectiveness of the spooge wears away quickly, and is only good for the first part of a race. I was at Bristol on Saturday and they had the spooge on the bottom which helped the boys get through the turn nicely, but they were spinning their wheels upon exit.

Still the best race of the year from start to finish. Hopeful I can go next year!