Sign in to follow this  
115fanpr

Where to sit for SDW

13 minutes ago, racermurray said:

Roof also obstructs view of scoreboard/videoboard unless your in lower rows near turn 1

Jumbotrons at race tracks should all be placed off the back stretch near turn 2 and high enough so that they aren't anywhere near where a camera that feeds it can see it. Same with the LED position pylons and lap counters.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chas71 said:

Are the front grandstands still heated? 

They haven't worked in years. 

I remember when DIRTCar announced DIRT Week at Oswego the only part I cringed was it can get darn cold up there.  I remember going up during DIRT Week back in the 80's.  Thank god the heaters were on...Man was it cold!!

I would say Backstretch is the best. Never noticed until last year, but if you sit in the front stretch and your car wins, you cant get on to the track.  

5 hours ago, Dean Reynolds said:

I remember when DIRTCar announced DIRT Week at Oswego the only part I cringed was it can get darn cold up there.  I remember going up during DIRT Week back in the 80's.  Thank god the heaters were on...Man was it cold!!

DIRT Week in the 80's was at Syracuse , Oswego never had DIRT races until 2016.

Maybe you are recalling an asphalt event ?

20 minutes ago, racermurray said:

DIRT Week in the 80's was at Syracuse , Oswego never had races in October until 2016.

Maybe you are recalling an asphalt event ?

ROC weekend went head to head with SDW at least once. 

On 12/28/2017 at 9:34 AM, GoFast39Fan said:

Anyone else read Brian Carter's interview in AARN on Dirt Week? If Nys does not fund SDW then it won't happen at Oswego but did state 2018 event would happen at somebody's track. The way NYS is I don't see this being a sure thing every year. Just a matter of time then where does SDW go? CNYRP isn't doing anything. 

Someone should ask Brian Carter why DIRT is selling tickets for 2018 SDW at Oswego Speedway then.  Camping is mostly sold out and a fair amount of tickets have already been sold to a place the Brian says may not host SDW 2018??

I'd say it's a safe bet 2018 will be at Oswego. Waiting on reimbursement from Nys for this year. Advertising and clay I believe. As far as beyond that who knows. Im curious how long Nys continues to fund Dirt Week that dictates if Oswego or somewhere else 

I think it's getting clear that the state isn't going to fund and in my opinion shouldn't fund a race.  We all got shaded by the state and their promises they should of never made. They kicked us out of Syracuse so they could show horses. With a promises we would all still have Super DIRT Week. 

In my mind I truly think the Fair Grounds and it's lay out and everything the "Ghetto" and all it's characters is what made Super DIRT Week Super. All the promises from Glenn, Oswego, and the State was a lot of wind blowing..

I haven't been to the Oswego dirt race but I have watched all the races from it. It's not the same, I can see the same race at Rolling Wheels, Can-Am, Canandaigua. They all have basically the same size as Oswego and are real dirt tracks. But no matter where you have a race it will never be Super DIRT Week again. This year was a great race, but it was a great race that could of been at any  of the speedways I mentioned or others.

But it's all for not, if the State is flipping the bill for this its not going to last, especially if people down state near the Democratic City of New York (who raid the budget every year) and the upstate Republicans who want to gut the budget. The State isn't going to be dishing out money for long so we can have a race. I for one don't like the idea of Government paying for racing, or football, baseball, or basketball any other sporting events. Once you start relying on the State to pay for sports it's just another form of Corporate Welfare.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GoFast39Fan said:

I'd say it's a safe bet 2018 will be at Oswego. Waiting on reimbursement from Nys for this year. Advertising and clay I believe. As far as beyond that who knows. Im curious how long Nys continues to fund Dirt Week that dictates if Oswego or somewhere else 

How long NYS funds depends on how much kickback Cuomo gets!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, racermurray said:

This thread started out as a question on seating preference............wow did we go off the track on this one   LOL

Happens all the time

15 hours ago, dundeedm said:

I think it's getting clear that the state isn't going to fund and in my opinion shouldn't fund a race.  We all got shaded by the state and their promises they should of never made. They kicked us out of Syracuse so they could show horses. With a promises we would all still have Super DIRT Week. 

In my mind I truly think the Fair Grounds and it's lay out and everything the "Ghetto" and all it's characters is what made Super DIRT Week Super. All the promises from Glenn, Oswego, and the State was a lot of wind blowing..

I haven't been to the Oswego dirt race but I have watched all the races from it. It's not the same, I can see the same race at Rolling Wheels, Can-Am, Canandaigua. They all have basically the same size as Oswego and are real dirt tracks. But no matter where you have a race it will never be Super DIRT Week again. This year was a great race, but it was a great race that could of been at any  of the speedways I mentioned or others.

But it's all for not, if the State is flipping the bill for this its not going to last, especially if people down state near the Democratic City of New York (who raid the budget every year) and the upstate Republicans who want to gut the budget. The State isn't going to be dishing out money for long so we can have a race. I for one don't like the idea of Government paying for racing, or football, baseball, or basketball any other sporting events. Once you start relying on the State to pay for sports it's just another form of Corporate Welfare.

You need to go... It does have an atmosphere like no other short track event.  Especially this year.  It's not DIRT Week at the Fairgrounds and never will be.  But, the event is indeed an EVENT.  The crowd is huge and they are fired up for the 200. You definitely need to go...

Oh, to stay on topic. I still say sit on the front stretch :lol:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dean Reynolds said:

It does have an atmosphere like no other short track event.

I agree. SDW at Oswego Speedway, with 3 feet of dirt over a famous paved track and 40 big block dirt modifieds shaking the covered grandstand, is one of the coolest experiences I’ve had a race fan.

It’s an even better experience if you’ve been to Oswego to watch asphalt racing.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2017 at 7:08 PM, GoFast39Fan said:

My wish would for it to be run under the lights. That would be a great race. 

Wasn't the race good this year? I already have my camping for next year. As far as seating please sit on the front straight so I have more room on the back lol...

I reserved my camping while I was at Dirt Week. Racing was decent. Daytime racing doesn't thrill me when it takes rubber. Sunday was a lot better than Saturday. I will be sitting on the back again 

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 12:36 PM, Dean Reynolds said:

The only time I went to Oswego was in 84 during Dirtweek and the heaters were on thankfully. I bought a Richie Evens t-shirt that weekend which I still have.

In 1979 after the WOO show at the mile we went up to Oswego for the twin 30's, mods, and supers. Around the time for the show to begin, a cold front came in from the lake. It had every form of weather precipitation, rain, sleet, hail, ended as snow, not to mention thunder, and lightning, etc. They asked the fans over the PA system if they wanted to stay, or postpone till Sunday. The fans that wanted to run the show were the loudest. We stayed until 3 AM, and left for what was a luxury at the time (a hotel room in Utica. Got there around 4 AM, woke up at 6 to get to Seekonk Speedway around Noon to find the races were cancelled. Oh well, so much for seeing one of my dirt heroes win at the Mile.

1 hour ago, livingston said:

The best seat is at home.. if the race is not on a mile its just another race... 

Tell that to Stewart Friesen and Matt Sheppard...oh and everyone that won the Knoxville Nationals which is by the way on a half mile.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, livingston said:

The best seat is at home.. if the race is not on a mile its just another race... 

That horse is dead. People have moved on. They may have bitched and complained about what the state did to the mile, but most fans and competitors vote with their wallets and support the new state-backed race.

Second section under the roof in turn one. Half way up on the aisle. 2 years in a row. I can see all the pit stops, the flagger, video board, and lap counter from there. Small, very small spot on front stretch exiting 4 on high side and the low lane exiting 2 that you see cage up but not entire car.  Have a golf cart or other means of transportation. From my seat to my cart where I parked it was less than a 30 second walk. All the good food (I tried it all) is up front. Easier manuevering with your cart up front than out back. Good Luck and where ever you sit enjoy!

16 hours ago, livingston said:

Sorry dude but there was more passing at Oswego than Syracuse ever had. Not only that but 30 cars were on the lead lap after 200 laps of racing.  "Don't knock it till ya try it"

• Like 3