if its true or not gary usually posts on here so give it some time and if he has something to add im sure without a doubt it will be right here. It still boggles the mind a former Mr. Dirt Champion cant seem to find a solid, stable well funded ride. One of the nicest people in all of racing too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was told it was in the process of being sold out. Good deals for guys looking for rollers. 

12 hours ago, DNF said:

That would be a shame.  Gary is a great shoe and a bastion of greatness in the world of dirt track racing. 

A threat to win in any car, at any race track, at any time. He defines the word smooth.

WELL $50,000.00 PLUS BIG BLKS. AND $35,000.00 RACE CARS ARENT HELPING OUR SPORT ANY ITS THE RACERS FALUT!! SOME OF THIS SHOULD  HAVE BEEN OUTLAWED  BEFORE IT GOT TO BE A MUST HAVE . AND LETS NOT FORGET SMALLER PURSES !!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jake Spraker said:

WELL $50,000.00 PLUS BIG BLKS. AND $35,000.00 RACE CARS ARENT HELPING OUR SPORT ANY ITS THE RACERS FALUT!! SOME OF THIS SHOULD  HAVE BEEN OUTLAWED  BEFORE IT GOT TO BE A MUST HAVE . AND LETS NOT FORGET SMALLER PURSES !!

It still blows my mind that the racer has a huge investment in his team & provides the venue for the promoter to make money off of & still has to pay an outrageous fee to the promoter for a shot at a tiny purse

7 minutes ago, Jake Spraker said:

I've said it before.... Glenn Donnelly didn't do the sport any favors back in the 80's by convincing guys they could quit their day jobs and race for a living.  What was a weekend program for short track Modified guys turned into 6 races a week, where you need multiple cars, multiple engines, stacker haulers and full time crew help.  There were even a few years back in the early 90's where you needed separate cars for dirt tracks and paved tracks.  And for every 1 guy like McCreadie or Hearn or Sheppard that has made it work, there are 100 others who have gone broke trying to keep up.  And don't forget, a guy like Freisen who is 'making money' is doing so mostly on somebody else's nickel.  I doubt that all the owners who have provided him top shelf equipment are operating in the black, but that is the nature of the game now.

I don't know when it became uncool to just show up with your buddies on Saturday night, do the best you can, and kick back with a cold beer afterward...

I think the best deal going right now is the track Tobias has down in PA that runs the SpeedSTRs and 600cc Sprints.  They jam the place full every week and everyone seems to have a good time without going broke.

Back on topic....I wish Gary the best of luck finding a ride.  He seems like a class guy who is easy on equipment.

1 hour ago, ChrisAkulis said:

I've said it before.... Glenn Donnelly didn't do the sport any favors back in the 80's by convincing guys they could quit their day jobs and race for a living.  What was a weekend program for short track Modified guys turned into 6 races a week, where you need multiple cars, multiple engines, stacker haulers and full time crew help.  There were even a few years back in the early 90's where you needed separate cars for dirt tracks and paved tracks.  And for every 1 guy like McCreadie or Hearn or Sheppard that has made it work, there are 100 others who have gone broke trying to keep up.  And don't forget, a guy like Freisen who is 'making money' is doing so mostly on somebody else's nickel.  I doubt that all the owners who have provided him top shelf equipment are operating in the black, but that is the nature of the game now.

I don't know when it became uncool to just show up with your buddies on Saturday night, do the best you can, and kick back with a cold beer afterward...

I think the best deal going right now is the track Tobias has down in PA that runs the SpeedSTRs and 600cc Sprints.  They jam the place full every week and everyone seems to have a good time without going broke.

Back on topic....I wish Gary the best of luck finding a ride.  He seems like a class guy who is easy on equipment.

I disagree with the part about Glenn, northeast mods were about to go national just before the " buyout" when WRG took over is when the down hill slide started . and continues 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, foster said:

I disagree with the part about Glenn, northeast mods were about to go national just before the " buyout" when WRG took over is when the down hill slide started . and continues 

And, if it wasn't for Glenn, guys would still be running hammered out coupes and sedans with black-pipe roll cages,, using beer kegs for tanks, and smoking a cigar while driving in T-shirts.  Well, maybe not quite that bad, but you get my drift.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WMR Racing said:

Stew owns all his dirt cars and equipment. The motors are the sponsors. So Stew is spending just like use on tires fuel and parts 

NOT TRUE

• Like 1

Jake, you have been a proponent of the Crate Sportsman class quite vocally the last few years.  I don't think there can be any argument that a racer would be very hard pressed to find a more affordable engine to put under the hood.  So let me pose this scenario for you to answer because you are honest -

Suppose Fonda made the 602s the headline class this year, and even PAID THEM A MODIFIED PURSE.  Suppose somebody even bought you a brand new 602 and bought all your tires and fuel for the season.  Suppose they even paid for the crew to get into the pits all season.  All you had to do was buy a new car in February, do routine maintenance and pay a guy like, say, Gary Tomkins to drive for you.

So in essence, all you have to shell out is $35,000 for a brand new car, painted, lettered, ready to load in the trailer; and wearable parts like filters, oil changes, and brake pads.

At season's end, did you break even?

11 minutes ago, ChrisAkulis said:

Jake, you have been a proponent of the Crate Sportsman class quite vocally the last few years.  I don't think there can be any argument that a racer would be very hard pressed to find a more affordable engine to put under the hood.  So let me pose this scenario for you to answer because you are honest -

Suppose Fonda made the 602s the headline class this year, and even PAID THEM A MODIFIED PURSE.  Suppose somebody even bought you a brand new 602 and bought all your tires and fuel for the season.  Suppose they even paid for the crew to get into the pits all season.  All you had to do was buy a new car in February, do routine maintenance and pay a guy like, say, Gary Tomkins to drive for you.

So in essence, all you have to shell out is $35,000 for a brand new car, painted, lettered, ready to load in the trailer; and wearable parts like filters, oil changes, and brake pads.

At season's end, did you break even?

NO BECAUSE A 35K CAR IF IN GOOD SHAPE IN SEPT BECOMES WORTH ABOUT 12K UNLESS YOU WIN ALOT OF TIMES AND WIN A BIG RACE IT SURE WOULD BETTER THAN A BIG BLK.

Yes everything is for sale with the DKM team. I still have a great ride with the Coar/Clark team. We will focus on running Friday's at Brewerton with some occasional specials. I'm still hoping to find a ride for Land of Legends on Saturday nights and possibly some other races..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Gary, would it make more sense to run sat at lol instead of Friday? More $ in purse at lol.? U also race better there.. Just a thought .. Thanks for the explanation .

6 hours ago, DaRooster said:

And, if it wasn't for Glenn, guys would still be running hammered out coupes and sedans with black-pipe roll cages,, using beer kegs for tanks, and smoking a cigar while driving in T-shirts.  Well, maybe not quite that bad, but you get my drift.

I'll take those days back.

2 hours ago, foster said:

Gary, would it make more sense to run sat at lol instead of Friday? More $ in purse at lol.? U also race better there.. Just a thought .. Thanks for the explanation .

Not when the car owners want to run Friday.  If that car ran Saturday, it's doubtful it would be at Canandaigua anyway.  

14 hours ago, macho said:

No way u break even.

And there is the fundamental problem with racing these days.  Even when somebody pays for your engine, your yearly tire bill, and your crew help...you STILL can't break even.  God forbid you get in a wreck or break something either...

Makes you wonder exactly how much the regular Saturday night guy is losing every year - a guy like Eddie Marshall or Steve Paine or Justin Haers...?

18 hours ago, WMR Racing said:

Stew owns all his dirt cars and equipment. The motors are the sponsors. So Stew is spending just like use on tires fuel and parts 

sounds like u have a bad source for info.

19 hours ago, WMR Racing said:

He doesn't own his Halmar rides.

12 minutes ago, DaRooster said:

He doesn't own his Halmar rides.

Maybe it's changed!! But the way Stew and Jessica explained 2-3 years ago. The 44 chassis were Stews and all motors where Hallmar 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DaRooster said:

Googles Pissano and Glenn are really close friends.  In fact, I sometimes wonder if they are really the same person.

That said, I wonder if Googles has any thoughts on this?

Ratzso

“I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.”