1 hour ago, HowieTheHat said:

The "race was fixed" crowd amazes me at their level of conspiracy theories!  As has been stated ad nauseum...those cars are tough to control.  That fact alone goes against any effort to "rig" a race.  Sheez 

Wait till the first time one of "NASCAR's airguns" malfunctions.   Then we can start the conspiracy theories.  

I don't think Nascar fixed it so Dillon would win. But I do believe that Nascar sometimes helps fix or steer some races in the direction they want to. Just look at some of the calls the officials make, or do not...

6 minutes ago, dan dan said:

This "keyboard warrior" never said he didn't have talent. Two things were gonna happen in that race. 

1. Danica was gonna crash or be caught up in a crash. That happened. 

2. If the 3 was there at the end it was gonna win one way or the other. That happened. 

And I was rooting for 3 different drivers to win. Blaney, almirola, and Wallace. He did get credit for highest ever finishing African American. 

You were called out for making a silly supposition...just swallow it and move on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, luke81 said:

Y'all are crazy.  You're hating on NASCAR just because it's "the thing to do" now.   

This is exactly it!  BINGO!  Bunch of lemmings following the pack.  I sure am not blind to the problems of NASCAR right now, but knocking them right now is De rigour...or however it is spelled.  I choose to stand on my own feet, even if it isn't the "popular opinion" and state my opinion....not run with the pack because I'm afraid to stand alone!

• Like 3

All you people that think dillion did no wrong, are you the same ones that bitched and complained when hamlin took out Elliott to win a race last year?   If this move was done by Kyle Busch people's responses would be diffetent

10 minutes ago, 22racingteam said:

All you people that think dillion did no wrong, are you the same ones that bitched and complained when hamlin took out Elliott to win a race last year?   If this move was done by Kyle Busch people's responses would be diffetent

If you drive a dark colored number 3, you can do no wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure what the debate is about. 

The sold out crowd, NA$CAR, France Family,  broadcast network, advertisers, drivers and car owners don't seem to have any problem with the current get-in-front-and-block to (hopefully) win strategy,  so I'm good with watching the sparks fly.  It ain't racin' but it's entertaining.  My television didn't sustain any collateral damage in any of the, as Jackie Stewart used to refer to them as, shunts.

Everyone can now return to their lives until the next restrictor plate race....

That's all I got.

Ratzso

• Like 1

Swallow it and move on. I will do that. Well I won't swallow.  I won't say what I want. Will just say sorry I had a opinion and my own view of what happened. Didn't agree with the majority so I'm wrong and you are right. 

6 hours ago, Josh Bayko said:

If it had been Kyle Larson instead of Austin Dillon, the attitude of “fans” would be 100% opposite of what it currently is.  

Not me, Kyle may be talented but he has been driving over people in everything he's raced in accept sprints.

3 hours ago, luke81 said:

Y'all are crazy.  You're hating on NASCAR just because it's "the thing to do" now.   Overall when you consider that it was a plate race (and plate racing just is what plate racing is) it was a good race. 

Now I'll admit I'm not a fan of what plate racing in general has become.  All this goofy bumping and blah blah.....The entire race is predicated on more luck than anything.   I really believe some of this comes from nascar having an unreasonable boner with 200mph.  They feel like they need those cars to hover right around 200 all the time.  Why?  If cutting the aero and running them at 180 nobody can tell, and if the product is better thats better for everyone! And they've got this aero stuff so locked down now that the cars are so reliant of each other do do anything.  Every car needs the guy 5 spots back to do the right thing to make a pass. 

Also in terms of the blocking, the cars are so safe now that nobody fears any consequences of a crash.  And that's good....and bad.  Nobody threw those blocks in the 80's and 80's because the wild flipping crash that often resulted would actually get people hurt.  Today those injuries are getting rare, which is good, but it's also making drivers feel like superman.  

People have been serious complaining and leaving NASCAR since Mike Hilton and Mr. DUI France took over. It's not a "thing to do". Mr. France in all his wisdom has changed rules left and right. Where Bill Jr. had made NASCAR one of the most popular sports in the Country young Mr. France has been turning it in to a down ward slope. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The real test starts next week.  If all of these 1.5 milers are still snoozers then NASCAR has more work to do.  The low-downforce package did seem to help that some last year, but alone that wasn't enough to make most of those races really interesting for the whole duration.  I'll be the one to say the stage thing sounded like the stupidest thing ever when I heard of it, but it actually did add some interesting parts last year and I enjoyed it.   

I think given the injection of young talent and personality this is the most optimistic I've felt about NASCAR taking an upswing in a while.  They're still not going to sell out every race - or even most of the races.  It's still a niche sport that, lets face it, is FAR more fun to watch on TV than in person.  We can't compare today to the NASCAR bubble of the early 2000's when people who didn't even like racing were going to races because somehow it became the cool thing to do.  It was a bubble, that bubble popped, so now it's just got to get back to a realistic level of popularity.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ratzso said:

The sold out crowd, 

If the crowd was sold out, a lot of people didn't show up who bought tickets.

• Like 1

Just for the record....Talent doesn't mean much anymore in Nascar. I don't care how good you are, if you don't have major sponsorship to bring to a team you have zero chance of racing.....Only the wealthy or those with money backing them are going to get on a team

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, luke81 said:

The real test starts next week.  If all of these 1.5 milers are still snoozers then NASCAR has more work to do.  The low-downforce package did seem to help that some last year, but alone that wasn't enough to make most of those races really interesting for the whole duration.  I'll be the one to say the stage thing sounded like the stupidest thing ever when I heard of it, but it actually did add some interesting parts last year and I enjoyed it.   

I think given the injection of young talent and personality this is the most optimistic I've felt about NASCAR taking an upswing in a while.  They're still not going to sell out every race - or even most of the races.  It's still a niche sport that, lets face it, is FAR more fun to watch on TV than in person.  We can't compare today to the NASCAR bubble of the early 2000's when people who didn't even like racing were going to races because somehow it became the cool thing to do.  It was a bubble, that bubble popped, so now it's just got to get back to a realistic level of popularity.    

Give it time. Maybe NASCAR will put restrictor plate on the 1.5 milers?  Bunch em up right?

Not for nuthin. I have watched Sheppard win dirt races by 12 seconds too

4 hours ago, leroy said:

Nascar has not done what the fans want in a very long time.

I don't recall any fans asking for the multiple changes over the years. Most were happy with things just the way they once were.

NASCAR does everything the fans want and the fans ask for changes after every race lol

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ric said:

First, as a Harvick fan...I never did agree with his "silver spoon" statement.  He even admitted that it was said out of anger, not fact. 

I'm not going to say that the Dillon brothers weren't afforded opportunities that others may not get.  Same goes for this guy named Earnhardt Jr.   But I know they didn't have everything handed to them.  

A few years back I was invited to a lunch at Richard Childress Racing.   The cup drivers showed up (Harvick, Burton, etc) and settled in for lunch.    After the buffet line was done, the Dillon brothers showed up....in their shop clothes.   Yes, they were shop employees while racing in the Xfinity and truck series.    Pop and dad made sure they knew what work was. 

As for the race....I thought at first Dillon caused the wreck.  After seeing the camera shot from the end of the backstretch, I saw Almirola move down the track to block....not just get run over.  I'd call it 50/50.  The old "racing incident".  

You want a villain in all of this....look at Hamlin and what he did.....

Hamlin has already been a villain....It's Dillons turn!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dan dan said:

I'm saying fixed at the very end. Didn't take much to figure out exactly what was gonna happen at the end. 

20 years for dale to win it, 20 years later number 3 and same owner wins again. More than a coincidence? and they said he had earnhardts lucky coin to. 

He did have a lucky penny but it was not from Sr. car......that penny is still in the car to this day......Austin's lucky penny came from a young fan who he gave a hat to....the kid came back the next day with the penny for him. So the story goes.... :)

5 hours ago, luke81 said:

Y'all are crazy.  You're hating on NASCAR just because it's "the thing to do" now.   Overall when you consider that it was a plate race (and plate racing just is what plate racing is) it was a good race. 

An awful lot of dirt fans make it a full time job to complain about NASCAR. If Amirola had won, they’d be complaining that he blocked Dillon. 

I have to wonder if the fact that guys who are/were outright dominant on dirt, like Kinser, Hearn and Bloomquist, or more recently, Richards, Pierce and McCreadie who have all failed rather spectacularly in their chances at the big time create an inferiority complex. 

I don’t particularly care for NASCAR’s brand of entertainment, but I don’t feel the need to constantly, and loudly declare as such. I wish more dirt fans would do the same. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChrisAkulis said:

36 cars on the Atlanta entry list, including the BK car with no driver listed.  And yesterday’s 500 winner with no sponsor listed...

I’ve said for a couple years now I feel the cup series is going to be a far different form five or so years from now with the dwindling sponsorships, car counts and fans....

i don’t see how this business model continues in its current form without some major changes.

• Like 2

The only thing that is up is the TV money, once that goes those drivers will not be making near the money they do now. 

Its actually quite shocking how many mistakes NASCAR made right out of the Indy car playbook. 

• Like 1

Fox's 5.1 overnight rating for Daytona 500 likely would be a new low for the event. Yes a crowded sports weekend, but 2014 race was up against Olympics and had record-setting delay and still got a 5.6 overnight. Fox also down 22% from 2017 race.

To put the numbers in perspective, three years ago the Atlanta 500 — not exactly on the level of Daytona — pulled a 5.1 overnight,” Sports Media Watch reported Monday.

33 minutes ago, con7 said:

The only thing that is up is the TV money, once that goes those drivers will not be making near the money they do now. 

Its actually quite shocking how many mistakes NASCAR made right out of the Indy car playbook. 

I think the big reason NASCAR is having so many issues is too many rules. The tighter you make the box the cars have to fit in, the more it costs to compete. And in Nascar’s case, the cars themselves are seriously outdated. Teams are spending huge money trying to find speed in ancient technology. The headliner at your local short track has far more advanced suspension, and if happens to have an aluminum engine, a more modern engine than the supposed top division in America. 

As an addendum to that ancient technology, the young demo that advertisers crave simply aren’t into cars that look like an overgrown version of mom’s sedan. They’re into muscle cars and  tuner cars. They tried to hit on that with the new Chevy, but it looks nothing like an actual Camaro other than the nose. I honestly think that if Chevy’s model was a legit  ZL-1, Ford’s model was a legit Shelby GT350, and Toyota’s was a legit Lexus Rf-C that young people would be more into it. Cars that look like actual cars would be better for brand rivalries, too, and rivalries are part of what the sport was built on. Not to mention, of you go to a more actual production based model, you may attract other manufacturers into the fold. More manufacturers would lead to more teams and more opportunities for drivers. 

And lastly, the the races are way, way too expensive to attend. They HAVE to make it so a family can attend a race without breaking the bank. If that means cutting purses, so be it. 

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:04 PM, con7 said:

To be clear, I didn’t watch but about 10 laps around midway, it’s not my type of racing, but it is a hell of a lot better Han watching Martin Truex win by 12 seconds at Kansas. 

NASCAR makes more rules to create more controversy.    Watch the replays of races they have been showing for a week or better now.   Tell me everything that is different. then vs now.      Too much to list 

7 hours ago, con7 said:

Fox's 5.1 overnight rating for Daytona 500 likely would be a new low for the event. Yes a crowded sports weekend, but 2014 race was up against Olympics and had record-setting delay and still got a 5.6 overnight. Fox also down 22% from 2017 race.

To put the numbers in perspective, three years ago the Atlanta 500 — not exactly on the level of Daytona — pulled a 5.1 overnight,” Sports Media Watch reported Monday.

The 500 has lost over half its viewers since 2006, and 23 percent of viewers since just last year.

IMO, crowds and ratings are going to be really ugly at a lot of places this year without Junior.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2018/02/19/nascar-daytona-500-ratings-fox-drop/351842002/

• Thanks 1