10 minutes ago, BobMiller said:

Sorry... your reply reads like it is hostile. I agree with what you are trying to say... alcohol is the most abused drug on the planet. I live less than 5 miles from Seneca Lake. Route 14 from Geneva to Watkins Glen along Seneca Lake is the most dangerous highway in NY state because of the 36 wineries and combination winery - micro breweries (I counted them 2 years ago - there might be even more now) along that route. And it's promoted by the governor of the same state that claims the highest DWI conviction rate in the country. Yet not once in my travels on that road have I ever seen someone doing a field sobriety test. 

I'm not advocating or claiming anything but the winery/micro brewery crowd tend to be a bit more older and responsible than your standard bar crowd. I would bet you will find less people drinking and driving at wineries/micros than you do at normal bars. Seems like people go to bars to get s-faced. vs people go to wineries/micros to try new things and educate themselves. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheKraken said:

I'm not advocating or claiming anything but the winery/micro brewery crowd tend to be a bit more older and responsible than your standard bar crowd. 

.... You obviously have never met my sisters or extended family.... Nothing like a ton of mid-40s married women going on a bender on a lazy saturday afternoon.... I've DD'd that s**t before.... Holy god I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

Bill, I looked it up. It doesn't list alcohol as a drug that they test for. Also, there is a lot of controversy about the organization and their testing. I mean come on man, How could they leave alcohol off the list? Really? Pretty lame!

You could volunteer to PBT every driver before they go out on the track for the feature if you're that worried about alcohol ingestion, lol.

44 minutes ago, The Wee One said:

.... You obviously have never met my sisters or extended family.... Nothing like a ton of mid-40s married women going on a bender on a lazy saturday afternoon.... I've DD'd that s**t before.... Holy god I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

OMG Winery Woo Girls are the absolute worst. But you reinforced my opinion. YOU played DD for them. LOL 

1 hour ago, BobMiller said:

Sorry... your reply reads like it is hostile. I agree with what you are trying to say... alcohol is the most abused drug on the planet. I live less than 5 miles from Seneca Lake. Route 14 from Geneva to Watkins Glen along Seneca Lake is the most dangerous highway in NY state because of the 36 wineries and combination winery - micro breweries (I counted them 2 years ago - there might be even more now) along that route. And it's promoted by the governor of the same state that claims the highest DWI conviction rate in the country. Yet not once in my travels on that road have I ever seen someone doing a field sobriety test. 

Didn't intend to sound hostile. Sorry about that... just trying to make a point which you obviously picked up on. So are they attempting to "catch"drivers with certain substances in their body, or are they attempting to prevent drivers from racing under the influence?

40 minutes ago, In the Shadows said:

You could volunteer to PBT every driver before they go out on the track for the feature if you're that worried about alcohol ingestion, lol.

Im not worried about it. Im giving my opinion on drug testing drivers and exposing a side of it that makes me wonder the obvious... why dont they test for alcohol? Do you have an answer that makes sense? Seriously... 

33 minutes ago, TheKraken said:

OMG Winery Woo Girls are the absolute worst. But you reinforced my opinion. YOU played DD for them. LOL 

1 time. lol I learned my lesson. After that it was "Call me for bail money, otherwise im out."

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

Im not worried about it. Im giving my opinion on drug testing drivers and exposing a side of it that makes me wonder the obvious... why dont they test for alcohol? Do you have an answer that makes sense? Seriously... 

Because it's all about appearance and partially about safety.

The vast majority of the population sees someone sipping on a beer in the middle of the afternoon, most assume he's just relaxing and enjoying the weekend.

If the vast majority were to see that same guy in the same spot smoking a joint, far too many would assume he's a "druggie" that must have some sort of criminal ties....

No big business that has any history with demographics of all ages want to have anyone in their company associated with a product that most still view as criminal, let alone one of their stars.

Even with pot becoming legal in places, that doesn't change the opinions of the masses.

There is a reason why beer/alcohol and tobacco were big sponsors.... it's all good in the eyes of the fans.

2 hours ago, The Wee One said:

man you aren't kidding .....

7 hours ago, Josh Bayko said:

You do know that every contracted WoO driver has taken multiple drug tests this year, right? 

Why ruin a good story with facts?

• Like 2

Some great readin' on these six pages of thoughts from the denizens of DTD. 

Reading the rules for the World of Outlaws Substance Abuse Policy, it seems clear that only those who  desire to participate in events held by this organization need to adhere to the policy.  Seems fair.  If you don't want to compete, no testing is required.

Should Scotty decide to take the Wizz Quiz and pass the multiple tests outlined in the policy, he'll be back in the seat to compete again in motorcar racing with the Outlaws.  Seems fair...

• Like 1

My wife works at coyote moon winery in clayton ny.  The ladies let that wine sneak up on them. I think it's funny but I am glad they are not going home with me. 

4 hours ago, leakin_fluids said:

Because it's all about appearance and partially about safety.

The vast majority of the population sees someone sipping on a beer in the middle of the afternoon, most assume he's just relaxing and enjoying the weekend.

If the vast majority were to see that same guy in the same spot smoking a joint, far too many would assume he's a "druggie" that must have some sort of criminal ties....

No big business that has any history with demographics of all ages want to have anyone in their company associated with a product that most still view as criminal, let alone one of their stars.

Even with pot becoming legal in places, that doesn't change the opinions of the masses.

There is a reason why beer/alcohol and tobacco were big sponsors.... it's all good in the eyes of the fans.

You are making sense. It just bugs me when they spin it to give it the illusion that's it driver safety they are promoting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ratzso said:

Some great readin' on these six pages of thoughts from the denizens of DTD. 

Reading the rules for the World of Outlaws Substance Abuse Policy, it seems clear that only those who  desire to participate in events held by this organization need to adhere to the policy.  Seems fair.  If you don't want to compete, no testing is required.

Should Scotty decide to take the Wizz Quiz and pass the multiple tests outlined in the policy, he'll be back in the seat to compete again in motorcar racing with the Outlaws.  Seems fair...

You have missed the point.

11 hours ago, TheKraken said:

Seems like people go to bars to get s-faced. vs people go to wineries/micros to try new things and educate themselves. 

One would like to think so, but that is far from the truth. Wine is the in thing with the young crowd now too, and especially with younger women. Tell you what... I pose a challenge.

When the fall is setting in and the leaves are changing colors, I dare you to drive from Watkins Glen to Geneva (and back) on Route 14 on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Then tell me I was exaggerating. These people aren't spitting out the wine, they are getting shit faced and pulling out of one winery in front of 55 mph traffic to pull into another one up the road and across the road 100 yards away. No turn signals, no brake lights and completely oblivious to everything around them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TheKraken said:

I'm not advocating or claiming anything but the winery/micro brewery crowd tend to be a bit more older and responsible than your standard bar crowd. I would bet you will find less people drinking and driving at wineries/micros than you do at normal bars. Seems like people go to bars to get s-faced. vs people go to wineries/micros to try new things and educate themselves. 

If you get s-faced in the 19th hole of a golf course, you are a sport. If you get s-faced at Clancy's corner bar you are a drunk.

7 hours ago, BobMiller said:

One would like to think so, but that is far from the truth. Wine is the in thing with the young crowd now too, and especially with younger women. Tell you what... I pose a challenge.

When the fall is setting in and the leaves are changing colors, I dare you to drive from Watkins Glen to Geneva (and back) on Route 14 on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Then tell me I was exaggerating. These people aren't spitting out the wine, they are getting shit faced and pulling out of one winery in front of 55 mph traffic to pull into another one up the road and across the road 100 yards away. No turn signals, no brake lights and completely oblivious to everything around them.

They are also stopping at bars along the way

Backstretch the simple answer is that the test covers drugs of abuse. Most of them are illegal and are used for the sole purpose of getting a high. Alcohol is legal and not always used to get drunk/buzzed. 

3 hours ago, leroy said:

They are also stopping at bars along the way

Along Route 14, there aren't many bars. But day trips of wine tasting tours in tour buses and limos is real popular these days.

Every driver, in every division should be drug tested during the season. It is part of the rules. Most tracks wouldn't bother because they don't want to lose car count. No driver should be under the influence even in a little bit. I've walked through the pits and smelled marijuana coming from fellow competitors crews while the racing was going on, and it wasn't a no name drivers crew either. More than one occasion. No place for it. If safety is priority number one, then there should be a zero tolerance, but it's not, car count is. 

Robert Morris. It's way more fun to get s--t faced long before 19th hole, only thing that makes pasture pool more fun, and to find the 19th hole as well!

• Like 1

Why does just about everyone think that the only drugs a driver could do is pot so that is the only thing they could test positive for? Aaron Fike was arrested for heroin over a decade ago.  Also when George Kent was acting like a nut at a bunch of tracks and refused to take  NASCAR drug test(which got him suspended) he ended up being arrested for possessing a bunch of pills. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BobMiller said:

No turn signals, no brake lights and completely oblivious to everything around them.

Sounds like Miller pulling out of Tim Horton's.😁