Sign in to follow this  
BobMiller

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

April - 1973...

39245718_10156094670607772_3353271179203

I ask 'new' people to go all the time. Almost weekly.  Very few have taken me up on it.  Of those newbies fewer like to go again. The biggest issue being getting dirty I think.  oh well.  Dirt never bothered me

I do have one friend who enjoys going about every other week. And a few others who like to go to one or two a year

• Like 1

I have myself and 3 friends that met at racetracks over the years and we have been hitting the road a lot together and always try to bring one or two new people when we go to big shows mostly...since we are all retired now we seem to go farther and farther away from CNY to check out races at big shows, its been great, hope we can keep it up for many years to come!!!!

• Like 3

People are very strange for sure. They will pay HUNDREDS of dollars a ticket to go watch a football game in sub-freezing weather with blizzard conditions. Ending up totally soaked and cold so their hands and feet are numb. Torrential rain coming down almost sideways. Not being able to see any markers on the field. Watching players falling down from the poor field conditions. Teams not being able to pass the ball because of the poor field conditions and weather. They will pay $7.00 for a hot dog, etc, etc, etc.  But they pay $10-$13 for a dirt race and bitch about some dust, $3.00 hot dogs, and dirty bathrooms. smh. Lol.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

stick n ball sports rule today. Dirty car racing is about 29th on a list of 25,,add to that there is not much competition in most tracks.itll be all done in a generation imo 

• Like 1

Add late starts, confusion because so many divisions with similar looking cars, shows that drag out for four or five hours. You won't get many new fans that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Goggles Paesano said:

Promoters could help a lot.  I’ve brought new people to the track only do have them get sand blasted and deal with filthy bathrooms.  That was the end of their interest in racing.  

Question: Did you explain to them that dirt track racing was dusty and that they shouldn't expect a servant in the bathroom handing out towels, spritzes of cologne and an after dinner mint?

It's dirt track racing. They make boring asphalt racing for those prissy folks who pretend to like the sound of loud engines and don't know what a shower is. They call them NASCAR fans.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have brought friends in the past and unfortunately the dust, noise, favoritism shown to certain drivers have kept them from ever returning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobMiller said:

Question: Did you explain to them that dirt track racing was dusty and that they shouldn't expect a servant in the bathroom handing out towels, spritzes of cologne and an after dinner mint?

It's dirt track racing. They make boring asphalt racing for those prissy folks who pretend to like the sound of loud engines and don't know what a shower is. They call them NASCAR fans.

I dont think its that unreasonable to have clean bathrooms. I get it. I go to racing alot, but a decent bathroom can go a long way

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I try to introduce a few new people every year. So far, they all keep coming back. Haven't lost one yet. The hard part is getting them to go. But once you do....

3 hours ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

People are very strange for sure. They will pay HUNDREDS of dollars a ticket to go watch a football game in sub-freezing weather with blizzard conditions. Ending up totally soaked and cold so their hands and feet are numb. Torrential rain coming down almost sideways. Not being able to see any markers on the field. Watching players falling down from the poor field conditions. Teams not being able to pass the ball because of the poor field conditions and weather. They will pay $7.00 for a hot dog, etc, etc, etc.  But they pay $10-$13 for a dirt race and bitch about some dust, $3.00 hot dogs, and dirty bathrooms. smh. Lol.

In all fairness, dust vs rain or snow is hardly a fair comparison. Dust will mess up your eyes, your nose, your food, your throat, your ears. Back when tracks would use calcium (looking at you can am) it would lead me to major headaches then migraines. Without fail every day after i went to can am, I could basically count on being bed ridden all of Sunday. Once i caught on to what was happening, never went back since. But to coincide with this, I know allot of people that like racing but wont go because of the dust. Its just not worth it to them. 

Any good promoter would know this is a problem and keeps fans away. A good promotor would add more and more enclosed club boxes at AFFORDABLE (not jacked up) rates. Example, my wife and i attended a race at brewerton last year in an air conditioned box. She loved it and said she would go almost every week if it was like this. She'll deal with sitting in the stands if i really want to go but other than that, she wont go to a track cause of the dust. 

I absolutely hate being cold and wet and would much rather sit through a dirt race than a wet football game any day. Kinda dislike football actually. Sociopath fans. 

I think most longtime fans have tried taking non-fans to shows over the years, and it is a tough sell trying to get anyone who did not grow up around the sport to become a fan. As much as people on here want to kid themselves that getting pounded in the face with dust and going to the bathroom in a place worse than the Civil War prison camp at Andersonville (Ga.) is not a big deal, those things matter when trying to convince a non-fan to take in an occasional race.

I am always very selective with regard to the track when I try to make a new fan, and I don't really know that I have ever succeeded in doing so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Now you’re just being silly.  Toilets overflowing with the funk of forty years is completely avoidable.   You must be from India where they shit in a hole and wipe their ass with their hands.  

4 hours ago, Goggles Paesano said:

You must be from India where they shit in a hole and wipe their ass with their hands.  

I am not. I'm from the good old USA where I reach under the stall and wipe my ass with YOUR hand. :sarcastichand:

• Haha 3

I took a Woodhull first timer and a dirt race first timer to the STSS show last Thursday and they both loved it.

It's a sign of the times. When I was young...I had a dirt track under my front porch of my house. I would groom it.....water it ( With a cup of water)., and change the banking; length, from time to time. Today kids play with joysticks and don't get dirty. I had a guy that raced late models at FMP lived just down the street and even though I would have my ass whipped if my parents caught me there; I would go check it out and listen to the noise and smell the race fuel. 

Your not gonna change this epidemic overnight.  Things will get much worse before it gets better.

1 hour ago, Goggles Paesano said:

I'm not that kind of boy. 

Neither am I. And I avoid using track crappers at all costs.