Jump to content



Sign in to follow this  
Champcarfan

Stewie Varin incident

Recommended Posts

A tale of 3 drivers.

Ricci, as has already been mentioned, is just a dirty driver. The 76s made contact 3 times, 2 times Ricci was driving like he usually does - with no respect for other drivers or their equipment. The third time was more legit because it was going for the win, but even after Ricci jumped the start, crowded Bobby going into turn 1 so Bobby wouldn't have a good angle to get in at speed ... Bobby still won. AND shook his hand in victory lane.

Friesen. He had the fastest car, and without the late race cautions almost certainly would have won. BUT, from my POV and IMO somewhere around lap 40 he started fading. He definitely lost maneuverability, which the 76 found late in the race. The INCIDENT has been hashed and rehashed .... Did the 2 cars make contact? Yes, as evidenced by the ding in Bobby's front bumper. Did Bobby do it intentionally? Probably not. He wasn't yet close to anything more than rattle Stewart a little. MY opinion is, James Ellis got it right in the Leader Herald story. Did Friesen retaliate? Yes he did. My hearing ain't what it used to be, but didn't the track screech, "Retaliation will not be tolerated in any way, shape, or form?" (paraphrase mine) during the driver's meeting? What did they do to Friesen after? Nothing.

Ricci tries to take Bobby out. Friesen smashes in the back bumper halfway to the fuel cell. What did Bobby do in both cases? Nothing.

Now I ask, what's that say about I-get-no-respect Bobby? Add that together with the nice gesture from the 76 team at Fonda the previous Wednesday and I'd say it shows a lot of character and class. Regarding this race, the same cannot be of the other 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you know they didn't do anything to Stew?

Why would Bobby retaliate while leading the race?

Nice how you add regarding THIS race..  I like how you mention Bobby and the 76 teams  gesture from Fonda Wednesday but make it clear you only talk about character and class for the other two regarding THIS race. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BV/DV fan said:

A tale of 3 drivers.

Ricci, as has already been mentioned, is just a dirty driver. The 76s made contact 3 times, 2 times Ricci was driving like he usually does - with no respect for other drivers or their equipment. The third time was more legit because it was going for the win, but even after Ricci jumped the start, crowded Bobby going into turn 1 so Bobby wouldn't have a good angle to get in at speed ... Bobby still won. AND shook his hand in victory lane.

Friesen. He had the fastest car, and without the late race cautions almost certainly would have won. BUT, from my POV and IMO somewhere around lap 40 he started fading. He definitely lost maneuverability, which the 76 found late in the race. The INCIDENT has been hashed and rehashed .... Did the 2 cars make contact? Yes, as evidenced by the ding in Bobby's front bumper. Did Bobby do it intentionally? Probably not. He wasn't yet close to anything more than rattle Stewart a little. MY opinion is, James Ellis got it right in the Leader Herald story. Did Friesen retaliate? Yes he did. My hearing ain't what it used to be, but didn't the track screech, "Retaliation will not be tolerated in any way, shape, or form?" (paraphrase mine) during the driver's meeting? What did they do to Friesen after? Nothing.

Ricci tries to take Bobby out. Friesen smashes in the back bumper halfway to the fuel cell. What did Bobby do in both cases? Nothing.

Now I ask, what's that say about I-get-no-respect Bobby? Add that together with the nice gesture from the 76 team at Fonda the previous Wednesday and I'd say it shows a lot of character and class. Regarding this race, the same cannot be of the other 2. 

From where I was sitting, after the incident it looked like Stew pulled up behind Bobby under caution between 1 and 2 and gave him a shot from behind to show his displeasure. The he pulled along side and (Im gona guess he gestured, but I really don't know) went down the backstretch into the pits. It looked like the same thing Ive seen drivers do a 1,000 times or more when they are not happy with another driver. Friesen didn't stay on the gas and turn him around or drive him into the infield. I didn't think it was any big deal at all. Did he really push in Bobbys rear bumper or are you exaggerating? It really didn't look like much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BV/DV fan said:

A tale of 3 drivers.

Ricci, as has already been mentioned, is just a dirty driver. The 76s made contact 3 times, 2 times Ricci was driving like he usually does - with no respect for other drivers or their equipment. The third time was more legit because it was going for the win, but even after Ricci jumped the start, crowded Bobby going into turn 1 so Bobby wouldn't have a good angle to get in at speed ... Bobby still won. AND shook his hand in victory lane.

Friesen. He had the fastest car, and without the late race cautions almost certainly would have won. BUT, from my POV and IMO somewhere around lap 40 he started fading. He definitely lost maneuverability, which the 76 found late in the race. The INCIDENT has been hashed and rehashed .... Did the 2 cars make contact? Yes, as evidenced by the ding in Bobby's front bumper. Did Bobby do it intentionally? Probably not. He wasn't yet close to anything more than rattle Stewart a little. MY opinion is, James Ellis got it right in the Leader Herald story. Did Friesen retaliate? Yes he did. My hearing ain't what it used to be, but didn't the track screech, "Retaliation will not be tolerated in any way, shape, or form?" (paraphrase mine) during the driver's meeting? What did they do to Friesen after? Nothing.

Ricci tries to take Bobby out. Friesen smashes in the back bumper halfway to the fuel cell. What did Bobby do in both cases? Nothing.

Now I ask, what's that say about I-get-no-respect Bobby? Add that together with the nice gesture from the 76 team at Fonda the previous Wednesday and I'd say it shows a lot of character and class. Regarding this race, the same cannot be of the other 2. 

Who would have thought you would have sided with Varin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Scott:

First: I know because the question was asked and the answer was, "Nothing." [Note the quote marks.] The full reply went on to say what everyone already knew....what could the track do beyond what Stewart had already done to himself? Take lap money away?  ALL the guys who draw the fans get preferential treatment.

Second question was answered in exactly the same way by Bobby himself. He said he was focused on winning, didn't give a crap one way or the other about Friesen or anyone else. What he didn't say in words but I thought clearly came through in his cryptic smile when asked was ... there'll be a time and place to even things up later.

Three - I specifically added 'THIS race' because Stewart has shown plenty of character and class many, MANY other times. I acknowledged as much about Friesen without saying it. Everyone loses their cool every now and then, so on that particular night Varin was the king of class, IMO.

Besides, a car should never be used as a weapon. Just saying.

dundeedm - you get no argument from me on that one. ALL the greats have had a lot of moments they would rather forget. Bobby's no different. I'll bet you if you asked him face-to-face about some particular incident he'd say exactly the same thing. Not all drivers would.

John Williams - you're my biggest fan. Thank you! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BV/DV fan said:

Dear Scott:

First: I know because the question was asked and the answer was, "Nothing." [Note the quote marks.] The full reply went on to say what everyone already knew....what could the track do beyond what Stewart had already done to himself? Take lap money away?  ALL the guys who draw the fans get preferential treatment. 

Second question was answered in exactly the same way by Bobby himself. He said he was focused on winning, didn't give a crap one way or the other about Friesen or anyone else. What he didn't say in words but I thought clearly came through in his cryptic smile when asked was ... there'll be a time and place to even things up later.

Three - I specifically added 'THIS race' because Stewart has shown plenty of character and class many, MANY other times. I acknowledged as much about Friesen without saying it. Everyone loses their cool every now and then, so on that particular night Varin was the king of class, IMO.

Besides, a car should never be used as a weapon. Just saying.

dundeedm - you get no argument from me on that one. ALL the greats have had a lot of moments they would rather forget. Bobby's no different. I'll bet you if you asked him face-to-face about some particular incident he'd say exactly the same thing. Not all drivers would.

John Williams - you're my biggest fan. Thank you! LOL

"All the guys that draw the fans get preferential treatment" is that the reason fonda concluded in the Hohenforst protest "it is what it is and we are not going to do anything about it, I can not afford to lose any more cars"? Just curious. I'm one of those fans that go to watch the 00 and the 76, were they doing me a favor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay boys ....

1. Mike made contact with Bobby at least 3 times. Two were pretty good contact. One sent Bobby back 3 positions. None were with the intention of taking him out. If they were, the first one would have taken care of it. Bobby didn't seem at all bothered by it in victory lane.

2.  Bobby absolutely positively pinched off Mike on the last restart. Payback. again ... if he wanted to take Mike out, he would have.

3. No one was going to catch The Stew. It was like a 358 running in the sportsman class. I think we can all agree on that.
 

4. Stew was not ... at all ... slowing down and Bobby was by no means catching him. In a two lap period, Stew added a full second to his lead.

5. What did slow Stew down was the guys who ignored the blue flag. There were too many of them and it went on for too many laps with too many different guys. (I think the guy who got the flat should have been black flagged long before he got the flat). I love Bobby, but no way no how was he going to catch Stew without all that interference. He probably would have had a half lap lead if they all did as they should when Joe waved the blue.

6. I did not see the contact between Bobby and Stew. What I saw directly before it happened was Stew having to slow down drastically so he didn't power-slam the lapped car, as Bobby was taking full advantage of the lapped traffic and the clear gap in front of him, to get himself withing striking distance of Stew.

7. Stew's retaliation was somewhere between the versions given above. It was definitely more than a love tap, but by no means was it anything that might have hurt Bobby or taken out his car. It was akin to a father kicking his son in the ass ... enough to make damn sure the message was sent, but not enough to hurt anything or anybody.

8. Stew and Bobby are two of my favorite drivers. They are both nuts and they are both exciting to watch.  When you get two guys like them on the same area of the track, there's going to be contact. I don't believe it was anything more than a racing incident. Bobby's words and demeanor afterwards are a good indication of that.

It sucked for Stew and was great for Bobby. But it was also decent for the fans because it was exciting enough to have us talking about it 3 days later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, GasketCase said:

Okay boys ....

1. Mike made contact with Bobby at least 3 times. Two were pretty good contact. One sent Bobby back 3 positions. None were with the intention of taking him out. If they were, the first one would have taken care of it. Bobby didn't seem at all bothered by it in victory lane.

2.  Bobby absolutely positively pinched off Mike on the last restart. Payback. again ... if he wanted to take Mike out, he would have.

3. No one was going to catch The Stew. It was like a 358 running in the sportsman class. I think we can all agree on that.
 

4. Stew was not ... at all ... slowing down and Bobby was by no means catching him. In a two lap period, Stew added a full second to his lead.

5. What did slow Stew down was the guys who ignored the blue flag. There were too many of them and it went on for too many laps with too many different guys. (I think the guy who got the flat should have been black flagged long before he got the flat). I love Bobby, but no way no how was he going to catch Stew without all that interference. He probably would have had a half lap lead if they all did as they should when Joe waved the blue.

6. I did not see the contact between Bobby and Stew. What I saw directly before it happened was Stew having to slow down drastically so he didn't power-slam the lapped car, as Bobby was taking full advantage of the lapped traffic and the clear gap in front of him, to get himself withing striking distance of Stew.

7. Stew's retaliation was somewhere between the versions given above. It was definitely more than a love tap, but by no means was it anything that might have hurt Bobby or taken out his car. It was akin to a father kicking his son in the ass ... enough to make damn sure the message was sent, but not enough to hurt anything or anybody.

8. Stew and Bobby are two of my favorite drivers. They are both nuts and they are both exciting to watch.  When you get two guys like them on the same area of the track, there's going to be contact. I don't believe it was anything more than a racing incident. Bobby's words and demeanor afterwards are a good indication of that.

It sucked for Stew and was great for Bobby. But it was also decent for the fans because it was exciting enough to have us talking about it 3 days later.

I like #7 because that is a pretty good analogy. But I haven't seen too many (if any) tracks penalize a driver for that level of so called "retaliation".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, macho said:

Stew should of just wrecked those damn lap cars. Sincerely, Matt.

Sad as it is, that's exactly what should have happened.There were at least 5 cars that Stew should have punted. ... Don't get me wrong ... lapped traffic is a very important and interesting aspect of racing ... you have to have it. But when guys ignore the blue flag for more than 2 laps, they should be black flagged or punted.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

I like #7 because that is a pretty good analogy. But I haven't seen too many (if any) tracks penalize a driver for that level of so called "retaliation".

Neither have I. In this case, Stew took that bird out of the dog's mouth when he pulled off the track. How do you further penalize a guy who got screwed from first place winnings down to show-up money?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GasketCase said:

Sad as it is, that's exactly what should have happened.There were at least 5 cars that Stew should have punted. ... Don't get me wrong ... lapped traffic is a very important and interesting aspect of racing ... you have to have it. But when guys ignore the blue flag for more than 2 laps, they should be black flagged or punted.

 

I don't know of anyone who has actually raced on dirt who can see the move-over flag when it is displayed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GasketCase said:

Sad as it is, that's exactly what should have happened.There were at least 5 cars that Stew should have punted. ... Don't get me wrong ... lapped traffic is a very important and interesting aspect of racing ... you have to have it. But when guys ignore the blue flag for more than 2 laps, they should be black flagged or punted.

 

What's wrong with them just holding their line? Or was that not happening in this case?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GasketCase said:

Neither have I. In this case, Stew took that bird out of the dog's mouth when he pulled off the track. How do you further penalize a guy who got screwed from first place winnings down to show-up money?

 

Freisen got more then show u money no? He lead every lap except 2  so he basically got all the lap money right? I know it is far less then he shoulda coulda woulda got but more then show up money right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GasketCase said:

Sad as it is, that's exactly what should have happened.There were at least 5 cars that Stew should have punted. ... Don't get me wrong ... lapped traffic is a very important and interesting aspect of racing ... you have to have it. But when guys ignore the blue flag for more than 2 laps, they should be black flagged or punted.

 

For the record I don't think Matt abuses lapped cars as has been discussed. But I do think they should get the hell out of the way whatever means possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DIRTCar97 said:

What's wrong with them just holding their line? Or was that not happening in this case?

Matt and any driver you don't like is supposed to be good enough to go around the lapped cars. If it is a driver you like, then they are allowed to move them. Those are the rules apparently.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DIRTCar97 said:

What's wrong with them just holding their line? Or was that not happening in this case?

They were holding their line, whether Stew was alongside them or not. They were chopping him into the infield in the middle of the straightaways. Worst lapped traffic I've seen in a while.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, racer80 said:

I don't know of anyone who has actually raced on dirt who can see the move-over flag when it is displayed

If you can't see the move over flag how could you see the yellow, white red or any flag then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, burtonfan1995 said:

They were holding their line, whether Stew was alongside them or not. They were chopping him into the infield in the middle of the straightaways. Worst lapped traffic I've seen in a while.

I agree. whole-heartedly.  Can't blame the track. Joey had the blue flag waving for what seemed to be 15 consecutive laps and it seemed that it took Stew 3 laps to get around every other car.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, macho said:

If you can't see the move over flag how could you see the yellow, white red or any flag then? 

Again, I agree. Maybe they need to add blue lights for handicapped drivers? 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GasketCase said:

Again, I agree. Maybe they need to add blue lights for handicapped drivers? 🤣

Jay....You can't see the passing flag thru the dust

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two things... I didn't think Stew was getting chopped. I thought lapped cars were holding their line and Stew elected to go underneath them to pass instead of on top. And I thought the flag means for cars to hold their line, NOT "get out of the way" I thought Gary Tompkins defined that on here?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I guess that settles that, 76 didnt punt the 44 after all. Thank you for the video over all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
















×