Sign in to follow this  
BobMiller

What is the ugliest race car you've ever seen?

3 hours ago, BobMiller said:

I've got to do this...

12369133_10153471474437772_5582272591097

Bob it only got uglier when DIRT made them put a stock roof on it and Scott Stackus' roof was added with zip ties and bubble gum

19 hours ago, BobMiller said:

I put the same thread on my facebook page and tagged a few of the folks at World Racing Group and ESS. I'll let Dean Reynolds reply with the video he posted on my page of the Tom Johnson 22. Computer designed? Maybe... but it looks like a bad acid trip.

Is this it?  It has to be.....................

Image result for Tom Johnson 22 race car

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 24KC said:

Bob it only got uglier when DIRT made them put a stock roof on it and Scott Stackus' roof was added with zip ties and bubble gum

4 hours ago, dirtroust said:

I was there the fIrst mUd bus

I was 18 and was there myself. I remember thinking when I saw it for the first time how radically different it was to everything else in the pits at the time. And then after seeing it run, I knew modified history was in the making. 1981 was a cool year because you needed a Mudd Buss to compete with that car. And in 1982, Alan started the season with Mudd Buss number 41.

6 hours ago, 24KC said:

I remember roaming the pits after the races the 1st and 2nd nights and listening to the comments from drivers and crew. Most felt like they were bringing a knife to a gunfight. I will say this though... that car prettied up real well once it was lettered and the nose tin became permanent.

5 hours ago, DaRooster said:

Is this it?  It has to be.....................

That's it. There were several different top wing configurations they experimented with. What you can't see in the picture you posted is that the hood is all twisted too. It's higher on the left side with a lip to catch air too. I have no idea who designed the computer program they used to dream that crap up, but it looks like what a 6 year old would draw with a crayon.

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2018 at 11:08 AM, BobMiller said:

Hanley's prototype car above could knock a buzzard off a shit wagon.

Still pretty nasty. Different nose, but the rest seems to be pretty much the same.

39799643_10156108296247772_5758829503530

21 hours ago, DaRooster said:

That's one beautiful Corvette......or is it a Camaro?  

I think that's the year GM was talking about prototyping the Corvaro😂

I know a few of us in here used to sketch out something to the effect of this hot rod back in the day.  Well, Mr Miller drew his sketch yesterday. Haha.

1uw8rp.jpg

58 minutes ago, inthecuse said:

What's the reasoning/engineering with 4 real wheels?

I believe it only has 3 "rear" wheels and only the back two were driven.  The third right side wheel is just for side bite I guess.  And there is no LF wheel.   Maybe the rules said only 4 wheels

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Darrell Welty said:

I believe it only has 3 "rear" wheels and only the back two were driven.  The third right side wheel is just for side bite I guess.  And there is no LF wheel.   Maybe the rules said only 4 wheels

Interesting. I do see that now after you pointed it out. I also noticed the other picture which is a front shot. I honestly thought the first time I saw the pic that the wheel got taken off in an accident.

There's another car on page 2 posted by Bob that has 6 wheels tho. I can see the side bite theory but I'm really struggling to see the benefits of this. Maybe that's why it never caught on? Talk about tire cost!

On 8/21/2018 at 12:59 AM, DaRooster said:

Image result for Tom Johnson 22 race car

This one I think may be one I've read about.  It was built by a guy that owned a trucking outfit of some kind and noticed that going down a winding mountain road that the truck with two sets of rear wheels went better than a car with four. (supposedly)

So he had one built for Indy.  I don't know how it did.

Edit, found a story on it:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2018/05/21/indy-500-201-how-six-wheel-car-got-its-chance-70-years-ago/626215002/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This one here is fugly too...

40027903_10156111047972772_2481275818911

Anybody have a picture of any of the Troyer cars at syracuse in inspection I believe 96 or 97.   Had the big air scoop on hood that went almost to the front bumper.  We had it and as we where unloading, somebody came by and said they already deemed it illegal, take it off before you go thru inspection.  I don't have any pictures of ours, but there where others there.  

On 8/20/2018 at 7:38 PM, NO Sail Panels said:

anything with sail panels

Sail panels aren't that bad (throw tomatoes here!!  🍅🍅🍅) if they're done right.  The panel itself must have the same or a continuous paint job as the rest of the car, especially if you're going to run several races a year with them on. Otherwise, why?  WHY???  See example below.  

normal_2018_34453.jpg

1 hour ago, brian moore said:

Big time ugly, but was it fast?

It was very fast, but I don't remember why they didn't keep it. Ultimately it was torn apart and left for dead.

3 hours ago, 22racingteam said:

I have a few but I can ever figure out how to post pictures on this site.. I totally gave up on it.. Must be common core 

The easiest way to post pictures in the body of your reply on DTD is to start with a facebook account. Upload your pictures there. Then open that picture in facebook and right click on it. A new window opens... click "copy image location." Then in the body of your post on DTD, right click again and choose "paste."

That same process works with any picture you see on the internet. Just right click on the picture, pick "copy image location" and paste it in the body of your post on DTD.

8 hours ago, dundeedm said:

It was very fast, but I don't remember why they didn't keep it. Ultimately it was torn apart and left for dead.

From what I remember, it was built in secret in prep for the Oswego Classic. It was tested by Tim Richmond at Sandusky and it obliterated the track record. When word got out about the car, Oswego revised the rulebook to specify, 4 wheels, "one on each corner of the car."

These are the details as I remember reading them from an old Stock Car Racing or Open Wheel Magazine many years ago, may not be 100% accurate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BillSmith said:

From what I remember, it was built in secret in prep for the Oswego Classic. It was tested by Tim Richmond at Sandusky and it obliterated the track record. When word got out about the car, Oswego revised the rulebook to specify, 4 wheels, "one on each corner of the car."

These are the details as I remember reading them from an old Stock Car Racing or Open Wheel Magazine many years ago, may not be 100% accurate.

You're pretty close Bill. I remember reading about it years ago myself and agree with everything you said.

1 hour ago, BobMiller said:

You're pretty close Bill. I remember reading about it years ago myself and agree with everything you said.

Ain't that a bitch, someone finds a loophole and they hang him with it. I would have liked to see him keep it a secret until race day. At least let him whip their ass before you hang him from the starters stand. 

1 hour ago, brian moore said:

Ain't that a bitch, someone finds a loophole and they hang him with it. I would have liked to see him keep it a secret until race day. At least let him whip their ass before you hang him from the starters stand. 

I would have liked to see him make a right turn.