Sign in to follow this  

With clay being put down at Oswego, I was wondering if anybody knew what clays are the best for a track? What are the different types of Clay? Is there anything special as to where to get it from or is it screened?

A few years ago I was at Bloomington Speedway and they had Bright Red Clay I know Knoxville has Dark Black Clay (Blue Clay i Believe it’s called)

Any answers and will be awesome! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Racerfan2003 said:

With clay being put down at Oswego, I was wondering if anybody knew what clays are the best for a track? What are the different types of Clay? Is there anything special as to where to get it from or is it screened?

A few years ago I was at Bloomington Speedway and they had Bright Red Clay I know Knoxville has Dark Black Clay (Blue Clay i Believe it’s called)

Any answers and will be awesome! 

Knoxville is not clay. Knoxville is dredged and dried out black dirt from a river I believe I've read. Any clay without rocks is good with me. 

I always hoped someone would find where the clay came from that was on the old Maple Grove/Waterloo Speedway.  Everyone talked about how tacky that track was.  I heard it would almost pull your shoe off.

I grew up on the family farm that was maybe a mile away from the track.  The clay in the fields that we farmed was at times miserable to work with.  I have to imagine the clay we farmed on was similar to what was on the race track. 

16 hours ago, jodyr said:

Every track should have East Windsor clay- that stuff was fantastic and normally dust free 

Interesting topic in this thread...

The dirt track for the indoor micro sprint race at Trenton last year was prepared with the same clay that was used at EWS. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jodyr said:

Every track should have East Windsor clay- that stuff was fantastic and normally dust free 

That is a great point, and Windsor had tons of passing. EWS is one of the places I always point to when posters on here say tracks need to be dry, slick, slow, black dustbowls.

• Like 1