Sign in to follow this  
TheKraken

NE Mod Expansion

Oilman prompted this thought with his comment on another thread.  Thank you oilman for making my brain work. 

Sprint cars, Late models and IMCA Style Mods are Nationwide the largest classes of racing. Not regionalized. Sure there is regionalized sanctions but class wise, they are all the same for the most part. 

Why have NE mods not expanded further than the NE? Why has the national race fan and tracks not embraced the NE mod? Please correct me if im wrong but Canada, NY, PA, VT, DE, MD and OH are the only places that run them weekly. With 3 of them states only have 1 track. 

Has expansion been tried in earnest? 

Why did it fail?

Did it succeed on any level? and if so whats next?

Why dont national fans like NE mod racing?

How would YOU go about expanding NE dirt mods? What would your plan be?

Most importantly does DIRT have a 3 year, 5 year, 10 year plan to grow and expand the NE mods classes? If no why not?

I believe a track in florida is trying to start them up but its a bastardized sportsman from my understanding? Ive been told that when the mods are running in florida and charlotte, thats when the fans hit the bathroom and concessions. Is it the same mental block as to why most NE fans only like NE mods? 

With national expansion i believe you would see weekly local car counts grow, more interest, bigger purses, bigger series ect ect. 

Somewhere on this site I thought I saw an old rulebook for Texas tracks that ran DIRT modifieds.  I know the Ark-La-Tex winged modifieds resemble the NE mods, but have a spring car wing.

I think the biggest reason is the rest of the country, generally speaking, already has their headline class, being late models or sprints, both of which are faster than the modifieds.

I don’t share this opinion, but there are a lot of people who don’t like Modifieds in general. 

Part of why I think ne mods didn’t grow nationally is because people associate them with ump and imca mods which are generally lower divisions across the country.

I like that mods are only in our region for us big block heads. Reason why I'm a big block snob and get up and walk around when sprints and late models are running... Not trying to put down other divions but the only true sound that rings my ear is a big block from the northeast... 

I'll go and see almost any racing if I'm in the area... but give me a huge field of Big Blocks and I'll pay $100.00 all day. If it's only big blocks running. No OTHER support class.... 

I can't believe anyone is talking about expansion when cars counts are down all across the NE.

well the truth is the BB mods in the east are just to ugly to catch on, that's why they call them dumpster mods,. to much tin boxey. I am not a fan of late mods but at least they look closer to a car on the track the BB mods and SB for that matter . BB &SB mods look like they belong behind mickey deees waiting for a front end loader to empty them loose some sheet metal please

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Joshua Jello Loughnot said:

I like that mods are only in our region for us big block heads. Reason why I'm a big block snob and get up and walk around when sprints and late models are running... Not trying to put down other divions but the only true sound that rings my ear is a big block from the northeast... 

I'll go and see almost any racing if I'm in the area... but give me a huge field of Big Blocks and I'll pay $100.00 all day. If it's only big blocks running. No OTHER support class.... 

Joshua, if its more loud noise you love than racing you should get out on ONIEDA lake today!  Starting at noon in Sylvan Beach is the annual Chicken Run, these Boats will just ROCK YOUR WORLD and there was more boats tied side by side at the wall yesterday afternoon than I could count as I went over the bridge!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Towman said:

Joshua, if its more loud noise you love than racing you should get out on ONIEDA lake today!  Starting at noon in Sylvan Beach is the annual Chicken Run, these Boats will just ROCK YOUR WORLD and there was more boats tied side by side at the wall yesterday afternoon than I could count as I went over the bridge!!!!!!!

I live on Oneida Lake... 😃😃😃😃😃😃

I love the Chicken Run..... It's a sight to see and noise to enjoy... 

15 hours ago, con7 said:

I don’t share this opinion, but there are a lot of people who don’t like Modifieds in general. 

Part of why I think ne mods didn’t grow nationally is because people associate them with ump and imca mods which are generally lower divisions across the country.

IMCA mods are a headliner at a ton of tracks out west and have their own lower division. USRA/USMTS mods are a headliner at a bunch of tracks, too. 

The USMTS brand of modified is as fast or faster than big blocks, too. 

24 minutes ago, Josh Bayko said:

IMCA mods are a headliner at a ton of tracks out west and have their own lower division. USRA/USMTS mods are a headliner at a bunch of tracks, too. 

The USMTS brand of modified is as fast or faster than big blocks, too. 

I went to one of those tracks at a place called Stuart Speedway. Seats for about 1000,  crowd of about 250.

Maybe dirtcar should have sent the mods to Central Iowa. 

If Charlotte and Boone were at the same time and I had to choose, I ain't headed south that's for sure!

• Like 1

There was a Southern Mod Tour (NE Mod Style) they ran atleast one season hadn’t heard much since! The ArkLaTex Winged Moss does anyone know what they run for motors? 

I've been to the World Finals a few times, and sat with quite a few southern region people and they all had good things to say about NE Mods. They actually looked forward to them coming down.

7 hours ago, maxim410 said:

well the truth is the BB mods in the east are just to ugly to catch on, that's why they call them dumpster mods,. to much tin boxey. I am not a fan of late mods but at least they look closer to a car on the track the BB mods and SB for that matter . BB &SB mods look like they belong behind mickey deees waiting for a front end loader to empty them loose some sheet metal 

Wow. I'm glad someone finally told us the truth about NE mods. Can you now tell us why UMP and IMCA are nationwide? Is it because they look so much better? Is it those cute little wheels and wide nose? Why are sprint cars so sexy? Is it those big beautiful wings? Please give us the answers!

If you ask me, NE mods look a hell of a lot better than any imca or ump mods. Plus they put on just as good a show as sprints and latemodels. Watching imca continually spinning out constantly is not great racin to me. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John Williams said:

Wow. I'm glad someone finally told us the truth about NE mods. Can you now tell us why UMP and IMCA are nationwide? Is it because they look so much better? Is it those cute little wheels and wide nose? Why are sprint cars so sexy? Is it those big beautiful wings? Please give us the answers!

another jerk with another stupid reply

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, maxim410 said:

34sj979.jpg

You won hands down, but we're still waiting for the answers.....please.......tell us the truth!

6 hours ago, maxim410 said:

Seems like any time someone disagrees with you, you revert to name calling as your defense.

I hope you like Humble Pie because you just earned a slice of "30 days in the hole."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been to races featuring the Best 410 sprints...360 sprints...305 sprints....super late models...crate late models...ump mods...etc... more often than not imo our northeast mods put on the best show...it’s all about what you start with years ago...the northeast went in the direction we are and most of the country went in another... I’m sure some people wonder why late models and IMCA/ump mods do not take off in the northeast 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

I’m sure some people wonder why late models and IMCA/ump mods do not take off in the northeast 

Some of them are even thankful for that. I am not only a member of that club, I am president.

• Like 2

Id have to think a big factor is that the UMP style and IMCA style mods have universal rules. When I see a show for them in Indiana cars come from IN, IL, OH, TN, KY etc all because they have the same rules. Where as someone running a NE style mod may have to change the body, tires or engine if they were to go to NY and run if they're from NJ, PA, DE and the same with the opposite. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NickF83 said:

Id have to think a big factor is that the UMP style and IMCA style mods have universal rules. When I see a show for them in Indiana cars come from IN, IL, OH, TN, KY etc all because they have the same rules. Where as someone running a NE style mod may have to change the body, tires or engine if they were to go to NY and run if they're from NJ, PA, DE and the same with the opposite. 

I wouldn’t say that IMCA and UMP are the same, the rules are pretty different, which are different from USRA/USMTS, which are different from Wissota, which are different from AMRA. The chassis are pretty much the same, but that’s really it. 

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, TheKraken said:

Oilman prompted this thought with his comment on another thread.  Thank you oilman for making my brain work. 

Sprint cars, Late models and IMCA Style Mods are Nationwide the largest classes of racing. Not regionalized. Sure there is regionalized sanctions but class wise, they are all the same for the most part. 

Why have NE mods not expanded further than the NE? Why has the national race fan and tracks not embraced the NE mod? Please correct me if im wrong but Canada, NY, PA, VT, DE, MD and OH are the only places that run them weekly. With 3 of them states only have 1 track. 

Has expansion been tried in earnest? 

Why did it fail?

Did it succeed on any level? and if so whats next?

Why dont national fans like NE mod racing?

How would YOU go about expanding NE dirt mods? What would your plan be?

Most importantly does DIRT have a 3 year, 5 year, 10 year plan to grow and expand the NE mods classes? If no why not?

I believe a track in florida is trying to start them up but its a bastardized sportsman from my understanding? Ive been told that when the mods are running in florida and charlotte, thats when the fans hit the bathroom and concessions. Is it the same mental block as to why most NE fans only like NE mods? 

With national expansion i believe you would see weekly local car counts grow, more interest, bigger purses, bigger series ect ect. 

I just want to give you a clear understanding of the sportsman in Florida.  North Florida Speedway in Lake City, FL is hosting the first ever 602 Winter Nationals in February then they plan to keep running 602 Sportsman as a regular class in 2019.  Several locals have NE Modifieds and they hope the interest will grow.  The rules are going to be strictly 100% DIRT Rules.

I'm sorry if you were misinformed but their will be no basterdization of any rules going on down there.