Jump to content



Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Joshua Jello Loughnot said:

 

Any clay experts? How much would a Mile Clay surface cost? Done right and done wrong? 

SYNDI is the way to go.

 

Sincerely,

 CEO of CNYRP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, con7 said:

I think Charlotte is the perfect size. It costs too much to run 1/2 mile or greater. 3/8th to 4/10ths is good racing and big enough that they’re not crashing every 2 laps. 

What? I watched a race on a half mile this weekend, and earlier in Oct. at Oswego and it was accidents almost every two laps. Most the time it seemed liked they couldn't even get a lap in.  I can't think of a track from a mile to 1/8 of a mile that hasn't at some point had races that went on forever because a class keeps running over each other.  But I actually see it on the bigger tracks more then the 1/4 miles and 3/8 miles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dundeedm said:

What? I watched a race on a half mile this weekend, and earlier in Oct. at Oswego and it was accidents almost every two laps. Most the time it seemed liked they couldn't even get a lap in.  I can't think of a track from a mile to 1/8 of a mile that hasn't at some point had races that went on forever because a class keeps running over each other.  But I actually see it on the bigger tracks more then the 1/4 miles and 3/8 miles. 

That’s a function of having far too many cars on the track than it should. 40-44 car starting fields will do that to you...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Nothing in the world compares to this...

Tearing it up with your friends last night and having screaming big blocks be your alarm clock.

Or...

The combination of the sound of big blocks echoing off those grandstands with the smell of bacon and fresh brewed coffee as you make breakfast.

 

I second that MOTION !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The very best races in most classes I've seen are smaller then a 1/2 mile.

Bigger tracks tend to become to fast these days and it becomes a train race. (not true for all of them). Eldora, Charlotte, OCFS regularly become single laned. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, I hate flat tracks, Rodeo in DTR2 was such a pain in the arse trying to figure out the right line. Never could get it right. lol :wallbash:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dundeedm said:

Ugh, I hate flat tracks, Rodeo in DTR2 was such a pain in the arse trying to figure out the right line. Never could get it right. lol :wallbash:

Convince me you aren't in dire need of a rubber room with an answer like that...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Devin Willis said:

We could race there twice a weekend. I like it

The chassis manufacturers couldn't make enough parts to have that many races there every weekend... haha. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MHL941 said:

I would build a track complex.  Have a some sort of wide banked track close to Weedsport in size for regular shows  then have something around a half mile or a touch bigger with wide banked corners.  I loved the Syracuse mile but I wouldn’t want guys to have to have a specials car only again.  Trust me,  I would love to have the mile back as it was my favorite place to go but I understand the financial hinderence it provides.  The way the car count is creeping back up SDW I think anything like a mile wouldn’t get the car counts.  

Would you use your own money to pay for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd build something the size and shape of Brewerton. I'd have some sort of a dome/retractable roof. I say dome but i picture something more like pavilion. There would be some sort of blower system that would collect up the dust and deposit it into a bag or pile. (think carpentry tools sucking up the saw dust) This would help keep it off the fans and a way to recycle/recoup something that can be put back on the track thats normally is lost. Could literally race during the rain. Grandstands would obviously be covered. As for the pits, I picture something like at the Philadelphia Eagles football stadium parking lot. Basically long carports where teams could pull in, sure their truck or trailer may be in the rain but there would be a covered area to work on the cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DIRTCar97 said:

The chassis manufacturers couldn't make enough parts to have that many races there every weekend... haha. 

The sportsman racing there has been the best out of anywhere I've been. We did multiple races green to checkered and of we did have a caution it would be 1 or 2. The other thing is I really like the race director there. They don't put up with people smashing each other 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Convince me you aren't in dire need of a rubber room with an answer like that...

Really? I seem to remember some late nights putting laps in......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was going to have regular weekly racing, i would probably go with 3/8 of a mile with moderate banking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Josh Bayko said:

Tyler’s clay is loaded with silt from the stream off the back stretch,  that’s why it’s so absurdly dusty. The surface itself, isn’t half bad at all, and tends to keep moisture in it and be multi grooved, even with all that dust.

Gumbo is nice, but not exactly easy to get in this part of the country.

I’d probably try to get the same clay they use on Lernerville for my track. 

I am coming from a photographers point of view. My one and only visit to Tyler was fun. The racing was great, and like you said the surface stayed fairly  soft throughout the night. But I can't see myself going back there with a camera again. Lernerville has some pretty good clay. Does get dusty but not Tyler County dusty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, tygarl said:

I am coming from a photographers point of view. My one and only visit to Tyler was fun. The racing was great, and like you said the surface stayed fairly  soft throughout the night. But I can't see myself going back there with a camera again. Lernerville has some pretty good clay. Does get dusty but not Tyler County dusty. 

Funny story about Tyler, I was there one night after a solid week of rain, so they didn’t water it from the silt filled stream. Wasn’t at all dusty that night, but it was a very fast freight train around the top. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheKraken said:

I'd build something the size and shape of Brewerton. I'd have some sort of a dome/retractable roof. I say dome but i picture something more like pavilion. There would be some sort of blower system that would collect up the dust and deposit it into a bag or pile. (think carpentry tools sucking up the saw dust) This would help keep it off the fans and a way to recycle/recoup something that can be put back on the track thats normally is lost. Could literally race during the rain. Grandstands would obviously be covered. As for the pits, I picture something like at the Philadelphia Eagles football stadium parking lot. Basically long carports where teams could pull in, sure their truck or trailer may be in the rain but there would be a covered area to work on the 

Big big big money... I understand the chilli bowl is a in door stadium, but they run small cars. To enclose all of brewerton including the pits, with safe air would be big big big money. Love the idea...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Convince me you aren't in dire need of a rubber room with an answer like that...

I would if I could, but I can't so I won't.. hehehehe  :harhar:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joshua Jello Loughnot said:

Big big big money... I understand the chilli bowl is a in door stadium, but they run small cars. To enclose all of brewerton including the pits, with safe air would be big big big money. Love the idea...

Last year they had 363 cars at the Chili Bowl and not only were all of the cars parked indoors their trailers (many with stacker trailers) were parked indoors also. Not a small building and it's all under one roof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joshua Jello Loughnot said:

Big big big money... I understand the chilli bowl is a in door stadium, but they run small cars. To enclose all of brewerton including the pits, with safe air would be big big big money. Love the idea...

yes it would be big money. The whole pits wouldnt have to be covered. just sections. Would have to work out cars getting lined up and such, if that would be covered or not. They would hit some rain leaving pit stall on way to lineup. check out the pic below of philly lots. sure hauler would be in the rain but car work area would be covered.  they even have solar on the roofs. if a track did that, sell back to nat grid, making money year round. The track itself would not have to be indoors. think of a giant pavillion with a vacume attached at the top center of the roof. the sides would still be open. could even collect the rain fall into a basin for......... watering a track. Imagine how many green credits a track could apply for? Or just being able to boast that your a green facility. All power for the track could be ran off that solar or paid back, ect ect. Capture.PNG.1318b56453bfd5145e61631f16e4d968.PNG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BJoy said:

Really? I seem to remember some late nights putting laps in......

Yeah. 16 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A half Mile. I love the configuration of Little Valley (Dirt Martinsville) as you have the long Straights for Speed only I would add a serious banking of maybe 20 degrees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fran said:

A half Mile. I love the configuration of Little Valley (Dirt Martinsville) as you have the long Straights for Speed only I would add a serious banking of maybe 20 degrees. 

So basically you would make Lebanon Valley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Copy Lincoln with a Cornwall-style 1/4 mile in infield (a lot like Jacksonville, IL or Bridgeport) and an inner-inner 1/8 mile for Slick Track Enduros and carts.

10-15,000 high-rise grandstand, front and backstretch both, like at Knoxville.

As for location, Kingston/Poughkeepsie/Danbury is an underserved market, as is Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton, although you'd need a dome there because it never freaking stops raining. Between Valleyfield/Montreal and Hawkesbury/Ottawa/Gatineau could also really use a racetrack.

My weekly show would be (if I could get the crowd)

* (Maybe but it probably won't work) DIRT-type Modifieds, but open motors and standard tires. Optional 602 crate motor or open motor with $1500 motor claim, 200 lb wight break and ANY tire (including drag rubber). But realistically, I'd probable end up with 358/W16 Mods since the rules above are a money pit. :)

*  DIRT Sportsman, some weeks on the big track, some weeks on the 1/4.

* 602 Crate Sprints, some weeks on the big track, some weeks on the 1/4. Same rules as Ohsweken ... cause if it ain't broke. A lot of bang, not a lot of bucks.

(I'd really like to get the track to really be Sportsman and Crate Sprints as co-headliner, with Vintage Sportsman --  Bear Ridge-style coupe and vintage Modified bodies -- use it as a kind of midway between entry-level and top class. Slick Track Enduros as my entry-level. I'd want to have this kind of low-buck show because it helps me keep the ticket prices low, which helps me fill up the stands and make money in food sales. The huge seating capacity means that I can spend a lot of time on special promotions to bring people in to watch the show and build a fan base. The focus on affordability also keeps the racing within the reach of a working class guy. A decent payout in these classes simply means a lot more to these teams.)

* I'd run a bunch of $5 to get in Sportsman/Sprint/600 micros/Enduro midweek specials ... try to build up a fan base and see if I could get a decent crowd. Promote the hell out of them. 

* Naturally, the traditional specials: ESS/Patriot Sprints, SuperDIRT series, etc. Maybe have a few "Wingless 602 Sprint" specials on the 1\4 mile. Would LOVE to get a "USAC Eastern Storm" date -- maybe co-Midgets and Sprints show, using the 1\4 mile for the Midgets.

* Once established, I'd want to run a big Triple Crown series for Mods or Sportsman -- $10-20,000 to win or more (if I could get the crowd). For the Sportsman Triple Crown races, qualifying spots for the big Showdown below.

* I would want to run a huge Sportsman weekend/midweek 2-day Showdown paying at least $20,000 to win. Opening night would be draw for heats, field is split into three groups: 3 separate features($2-3,000 to win), winner gets a guaranteed starting spot in the next night's main event. The nice thing with the first night is that 90 guys get a paycheck.

Final night would be like the Outlaw 200 -- draw for heats, non-qualifiers for heats are split into 2 groups of B-C-D alphabet soup mains to finalize the field. Would also hold 2-3 special last chance races: 1 is any track champion from any weekly Sportsman track. 1-2 "Special Qualifiers" last chance -- each weekly Sportsman track gets 1-2 qualifying races, winner gets the spot in this race. Would pay the same purse as previous night features in addition to winner goes to the big main event.

(I would offer incentives to tracks to be part of the program -- in exchange, they agree not to run against my Showdown and agree to promote the Showdown at their tracks -- I would offer drawings for grandstand tickets, etc.). I want the Showdown to kind of take on a "Nationals" feel to it, a big event that dozens of teams work towards all season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bridgeport has everything big track big wide turns very fast plus smaller inside tracks Great bleacher s and plenty of camping and parking .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
















×