Sign in to follow this  
happyracer

Go Kart Tracks (Raving Ovals)

Is there a reason why go kart tracks are dirt but the karts run slick tires and don't slide. Wouldn't it make sense if they were paved instead?? Cost maybe.  I am talking about small ovals like Dodge City & the new Weedsport track. Are there any small paved go kart tracks that I am just not aware of?? I'll admit I am very ignorant concerning this topic and these are serious questions. Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Bliss Speedway (Run by the Barbers) in Bliss NY is a pavement oval, there is also Chapel Hill raceway in Great Valley NY.

At just about every dirt kart track, teams are using tire prep...of many different compounds, some with colorful names (like 'goat pee')...you can't be competitive without it...and it can get pretty expensive.

Go to an event and you'll see teams prepping tires constantly, or buying tires already prepped (which has turned into a viable market of its own).

The prep is what allows them to run fast on dirt on slicks.

I got out of rc racing because guys would buy stock appearing motors that had been rewound and wernt stock all to win a trophy. They had I have to win mentaility. Me and and a few others got into to go carts, same thing, it was fun for a year or so but again unreal what people will spend to win a trophy. 5hp Briggs motor that's pushing 18hp against my stock one. For a trophy. Racing stock cars, and I use that term loosely ain't any different. Do what you can and get away with what you can. To win. 

• Like 1