Sign in to follow this  
WheelsUpHammerDown10

SuperDIRTSeries purse increase

52 minutes ago, LaVoix said:

Canadian promoters can’t be happy about this. Once again, we fill our stands with people only to pay more and more each and every year in sanction fees and now an increase of funds. Each increases in Canada makes everyone cringe because of the dollar situation.

I heard that a few promoters who were there on Friday were not happy at all about this situation.

My best guess is that the promoters download this cost onto the fans. I’ve paid $50 to see WoO late models in Cornwall 10 years ago. I’m sure they will simply start to charge the same for the SDS races. 

At the end of the day it’s almost always the fan who gets the squeeze. 

1 hour ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

Sure, I can explain. Im talking about guys like Dave Rauscher and Adam Roberts. Both of these guys are very respectable racers. But when they run the SDS races they usually finish around 20th or further back. Now and then you will see them crack the top 20 but you will most likely not see either of them racing for the win. There are a lot of other drivers that fit the same mold. Very good respectable racers, but you will not see them race for position with Friesen, Sheppard, Rudolph, The Doctor, Hearn, Fuller or Decker. Adam ran all 24 races and Dave ran 21 of 24 races, but neither of them have a top 10 finish. So like I said, It will be interesting to see how many drivers "prefer" to start in the back and run for $500. By using the word "prefer", Im talking about they know they have no chance to start up front against the top runners. So they are okay with starting in the back. 

Well being that those guys have been racing for $300 each sds race...I’m guessing they will be happy it is now $500....and I’ll bet more teams race more races.... $500 to start and $1000 for 10th is obtainable for many guys...and with the increase in purse it will help Drivers cover expenses that normally finish from 10th on back...nobody makes money racing but it’s nice to know you can break even on a night....

29 minutes ago, JohnyC said:

My best guess is that the promoters download this cost onto the fans. I’ve paid $50 to see WoO late models in Cornwall 10 years ago. I’m sure they will simply start to charge the same for the SDS races. 

At the end of the day it’s almost always the fan who gets the squeeze. 

Prices are already over 40$ in Quebec for SDS shows in Canadian currency. It’s been like that for a couple of years now.

There is a lot of people in our stands for these events, no doubt. Big blocks will always be popular here. But I really think it’s already too expensive and that you can’t really ask the people to go further in their pockets. 

When you hold that kind of shows, you are supposed to make money. Not be on the brink of not being able to pay the bills just to hold two SDS shows per year and pay more dollars for many 358 drivers that will prefer to take the 500$ for a start and park...

6 hours ago, LaVoix said:

Prices are already over 40$ in Quebec for SDS shows in Canadian currency. It’s been like that for a couple of years now.

There is a lot of people in our stands for these events, no doubt. Big blocks will always be popular here. But I really think it’s already too expensive and that you can’t really ask the people to go further in their pockets. 

When you hold that kind of shows, you are supposed to make money. Not be on the brink of not being able to pay the bills just to hold two SDS shows per year and pay more dollars for many 358 drivers that will prefer to take the 500$ for a start and park...

Simple answer is then do not host a big block super dirt series show, do not get in the way of progress. This was expected and much needed. 

8 hours ago, LaVoix said:

Anyone who pays $40 will surely pay $50. I have no issue paying more so far as the drivers show up, the track has multiple groves to promote passing and ideally it’s cool when the best drivers don’t always start inside the top 3 rows. 

Pretty typical of this forum. 

People bitch and complain that the SDS purse is too low. It then gets raised and all then its bitching and complaining about that the price at the gates are going to go up. You friggin people are unbelievable. 

• Like 19

9 hours ago, rpm72x said:

Well being that those guys have been racing for $300 each sds race...I’m guessing they will be happy it is now $500....and I’ll bet more teams race more races.... $500 to start and $1000 for 10th is obtainable for many guys...and with the increase in purse it will help Drivers cover expenses that normally finish from 10th on back...nobody makes money racing but it’s nice to know you can break even on a night....

I agree with your viewpoint. But I do question how many "new" drivers will show up for the extra $200. We will see if they are enticed for the extra money.

23 hours ago, KrashMender said:

Get ready for everyone to start complaining about the Front and Back Gate fees at these races going up a few bucks.  I guess the Promoter's better start sharpening their pencils to figure out where all this extra purse money is going to come from. Hopefully, they can find some sponsor's to keep the increase to a minimum for the fans and race teams.

Just about every where you go this already happens. most places its 12 to get in the gate and when a tour comes up it goes up to 15 to 28 to get in the grandstand. Lets just hope pit gate prices dont go up. 

25 minutes ago, TheKraken said:

Whatever happened to promoters and series working hard and finding a sponsor to cover the purse increase vs just passing it on to the fans?

Maybe give them a little bit of time to find a sponsor. 

Everyone seems to have jumped to the conclusion that the gate prices are going to go up to offset the cost of the purse, but we haven't seen a single track post prices for their events yet.

Racing season literally ended a week ago, and people are already bitching about 2019 prices... lol... It's gonna be a LONG winter... 

• Like 3

Not to rain on the title sponsorship idea but haven't we been waiting, last series sponsor I remember was advanced auto parts and that feels like forever ago lol? I don't hate dirtcar like some do but purse increases are only going to go so far. You need better scheduling and some tighter budget rules that can be enforced. Just my take on this.

1 hour ago, TheKraken said:

Whatever happened to promoters and series working hard and finding a sponsor to cover the purse increase vs just passing it on to the fans?

I am not saying that it's not up to promoters to promote, however, do you really think that this is a possibility for every track that runs an SDS race.  The purse goes up, the costs go up....it's pretty simple, and obviously across the board motorsports sponsorship isn't what it once was, and this is not an SDS problem...it's an everywhere problem.  Everybody seems to think these track owners are making millions.  I'm sure there are a few that do very well, but in general most people are not making a fortune in dirt racing.  If the economy can't sustain the purse increase the series will fail, but we can't as fans, not expect an increase of admission at least at some places.  Of course how much and where remains to be seen, but most tracks need these big shows to be successful.  For some of them, 1 or 2 major shows can sometimes make the difference between making a profit and taking a financial  bath for the season.

10 minutes ago, Speedway21 said:

Not to rain on the title sponsorship idea but haven't we been waiting, last series sponsor I remember was advanced auto parts and that feels like forever ago lol? I don't hate dirtcar like some do but purse increases are only going to go so far. You need better scheduling and some tighter budget rules that can be enforced. Just my take on this.

It has been a bit since they've had a title sponsor....However, they also didn't have title sponsors for SuperDIRTWeek or the 150 or 200 for awhile and they've found sponsors for those the last few years. I wouldn't put it completely out of the realm of possibility of it potentially happening.

1 hour ago, TheKraken said:

exactly two posts up from this post, you were complaining that other people complain too much about prices going up.

Now your post is agreeing the cost goes to the fans- which is why they posted.

Pick your side.

5 minutes ago, Justracing44 said:

exactly two posts up from this post, you were complaining that other people complain too much about prices going up.

Now your post is agreeing the cost goes to the fans- which is why they posted.

Pick your side.

Wrong there. First was to point out the hypocrisy and stupidity of people on here. Second was logical critical thinking instead of joining the mass hysteria of OMG they are going to raise gate prices. Wasnt agreeing with a gate hike at all but if it fits your agenda, by all means run with it. 

Purse increase is nice and it is overdue. The series on a whole is just too many races and too much time and travel for most teams in this day and age. For the most part, the local racers continue to fill the fields either by choice, or because there are show up points. The crowds continue to be good to great. It's not a perfect system, but it continues to work. Like others, for me the worst part is that the heats almost always are uneventful due to time trials. And, I will never agree with scheduling these races on a weekend race night. These tracks pay a sanction fee, and take a shafting over these races when fans know the top racers will be elsewhere.

I love SDS races..but if the powers that be want to improve the overall show.Take notes from Drummond and Granby..these 2 tracks make the SDS series races a can't miss event.These 2 tracks have the best atmosphere of anywhere on the series..its not even close.

1 hour ago, Stewyfan44 said:

I love SDS races..but if the powers that be want to improve the overall show.Take notes from Drummond and Granby..these 2 tracks make the SDS series races a can't miss event.These 2 tracks have the best atmosphere of anywhere on the series..its not even close.

It is a whole lot easier to make a show a "can't miss" event when local fans see the star drivers once or twice a year instead of 50 times a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The increase of purses will not halt the cost of racing a big block modified. If the SDS still want a healthy series, that's the area that needs improvements. Pronto.

According to AARN, the field of starters will be reduced by 2 spots qualifying 24 not 26 cars. 4 provisionals will be offered to Platinum Members, but only 2 will be paid positions. The other 2 will have to give up their $500 start money. And there will be a track provisional option that can make the field 29 cars.

51 minutes ago, Sicklajoie said:

According to AARN, the field of starters will be reduced by 2 spots qualifying 24 not 26 cars. 4 provisionals will be offered to Platinum Members, but only 2 will be paid positions. The other 2 will have to give up their $500 start money. And there will be a track provisional option that can make the field 29 cars.

So they’re bringing the SDS in line with all the other dirt sanctions in the country. This is a solid move.