Sign in to follow this  
4-bar cars

5 Mile Pt. sale update?

I’ve also been wondering this. A few days ago, Doug’s Dirt Diary featured an interview with driver Donnie Elliott. While not giving any definitive answer, he didn’t sound too hopeful about the future of the facility. 

29 minutes ago, PanhardBar said:

This is a sad thread. :crybaby:

It certainly is because I'm not sure a lot of people know what is happening here.

There are tracks that definitely outdate Five Mile here in NY State age wise. OCFS and Fonda both are older in age, but they were specials only format tracks early on in life. Five Mile started life as a weekly track in 1951 and has run continuously as one ever since, making it one of - if not "THE" oldest weekly race track in the state.

It's definitely sad to see the old girl go down like this.

15 minutes ago, BobMiller said:

It certainly is because I'm not sure a lot of people know what is happening here.

There are tracks that definitely outdate Five Mile here in NY State age wise. OCFS and Fonda both are older in age, but they were specials only format tracks early on in life. Five Mile started life as a weekly track in 1951 and has run continuously as one ever since, making it one of - if not "THE" oldest weekly race track in the state.

It's definitely sad to see the old girl go down like this.

I believe Brewerton Speedway opened in 1949? It did change between dirt and asphalt a few times. Would you be able to clarify?

I have to give the Harpell's a lot of credit  for keeping 5MP open for a number of years but the cost of keeping a dirt track open has to cost a lot of money. The interest in the area is just not there anymore.Yes, you have race cars showing up every week but the fans are not going every week like in years past.  Lets hope something happens for the good but time must be running out to keep the track open...JMO

3 hours ago, PanhardBar said:

I believe Brewerton Speedway opened in 1949? It did change between dirt and asphalt a few times. Would you be able to clarify?

Either '48 or '49 - yes, HOWEVER - Brewerton did sit idle for some time, off and on throughout the years. Five Mile (to my knowledge) has not. If it has, I would definitely like to know this.

That would be a interesting list to see. To have all nys tracks open as of this day listed as to most number of continuous years in operation. 

Oh continuous years. I'm sorry. Kind of new to the sport of dirt racing so I'm learning allot as I go.  This was my first year really going to tracks. Ive raced allot on video games dirt ones, they are fun. I read allot on track websites about how long they've been around. My locals. They are fun.

• Like 1

From their facebook "Five Mile Point Speedway will be open in 2019. We are on the verge of signing a lease contract that will continue the operation for the 69th consecutive season. Details will be out in the next week or two."

• Like 5

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, PanhardBar said:

Oh continuous years. I'm sorry. Kind of new to the sport of dirt racing so I'm learning allot as I go.  This was my first year really going to tracks. Ive raced allot on video games dirt ones, they are fun. I read allot on track websites about how long they've been around. My locals. They are fun.

Since you are fairly new I have a question for you. What are the top 3 things you like most so far when you have attended a live race? Im curious. And just 1 thing that you really don't care for and wished there could be an improvement. Thanks.