dirtdigger

How many people were on the old Fire on Dirt forum?

To add on to what I said earlier, I did not know DTD or FOD existed until 2010. I did however frequent the syracuse.com motorsports message board though starting in the mid 2000s. 

C'mon everybody.. We all know that Syracuse.com was the best forum to get all of the 100% correct info on dirt racing in the Northeast.  Just ask Bob Miller... LMAO

• Haha 1

I had lots of fun back in the day.  I posted often on the Syracuse forum and was asked to contribute to Fire on Dirt.  Everyone wanted to know who “Red” was.. lol.  I had Redsopinion shirts made.  

Joined October 2004 and I'm sure I read before making an account as well. Time flies! 

Checked.....been around since 2008....FOD still in operation then?  I may have caught the tail end of it.

Oct 2004 for me, although I'm certain I was involved around 2002 or 2003 making skins for the DTR2 mods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You were Brent, thats what got me here, I took over the sim stuff when it rolled over to the news side of things... still have it all on a zip disk somewhere, lol

Very awesome responses.  Fire on Dirt was alot of fun.  Chris Pappa and the boys started something that has turned into this site today.   My hat is off to Mallet and the guys for the current website.  I would love to see the current forum go back to what we used to do.  We had alot of fun critiquing and not bashing.  Posts were made that made sense and for the most part everyone got along.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BobMiller said:

I do remember that. Truthfully, I don't blame her. There are definitely creeps out there who prey on vulnerable people. But after I met your dad and the rest of the folks from Club Wago, I think she would have been OK with it.

I have always wondered. What the heck is Club Wago???

• Like 1

I joined 2003...I was like member # 17 or somewhere right about that

17 hours ago, Goggles Paesano said:

Miller is considering shutting down DTD?

What is it with you?

Not only do you stir the shit pot, but insist on licking the spoon.

I was there, I was wandering around the internet for DTR stuff and found the FOD site. I starting reading the forum too and joined in 2004.

14 hours ago, happyracer said:

I have always wondered. What the heck is Club Wago???

Group of my dad's friends used to rent a Club Wagon to head to Super DIRT Week before my time. One near the "n" on the logo was missing, so it read "Club Wago" and they just started calling themselves that. They always were into tailgating and all that fun stuff, so we used to hang hand-drawn banners and randomly people would stop by for a few beers. When I was in middle school I turned it into a dumb little website and more people started to come around (and the Wago Juice was created). By the time I was in college we were throwing some solid parties at the bigger races. In the last 5 years, college is done and real life has gotten in the way of all the tailgates and parties we used to throw. Me a ton of great people through it, though!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, KB19 said:

Group of my dad's friends used to rent a Club Wagon to head to Super DIRT Week before my time. One near the "n" on the logo was missing, so it read "Club Wago" and they just started calling themselves that. They always were into tailgating and all that fun stuff, so we used to hang hand-drawn banners and randomly people would stop by for a few beers. When I was in middle school I turned it into a dumb little website and more people started to come around (and the Wago Juice was created). By the time I was in college we were throwing some solid parties at the bigger races. In the last 5 years, college is done and real life has gotten in the way of all the tailgates and parties we used to throw. Me a ton of great people through it, though!

I always wondered what the story was behind this as well...Thanks for sharing the history. 

Joined in 2004, remember FoD and the early versions of the DTD site as well "Race Talk for Smart People". Used to post almost-live results from Ransomville every friday night for a while, before things like twitter and facebook, etc. Also designed a lot signatures and avatars back in the day for members of the forum. Only ever browsed on syracuse.com, never had a reason to post there. Definitely miss Tom Ames commentary. 

cool tip - if you want to see how long you've been a member, just click on your name in the top right hand corner of the page and then click on the profile tab. 

If you want to go live in the past, check out this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040519124515/http://fireondirt.com:80/

https://web.archive.org/web/20040607002742/http://www.fireondirt.com:80/forum/

https://web.archive.org/web/20040401000000*/fireondirt.com

Chris Papa is still around. He still keeps up on what happens here and has become quite fascinated with the history of auto racing - particularly the western part of NY State. I talk with Chris every now and then through PM on facebook when he has questions about a long dead speedway that he is learning about.

Just last week he was telling me he was talking to people in the engineering department at the West Seneca Town Hall, and they insisted that there was an active speedway (one that allowed spectators to view cars race for a paid purse) on  the Art Clark property on Seneca Creek Road. Art Clark was terrorizing North Collins, Holland and Perry Speedways at the time the track behind his house was built. North Collins ran on Friday Nights, Perry ran on Saturdays and Perry raced on Sunday afternoons, meaning it was extremely unlikely that the Art Clark track was anything more than a practice track. It's possible that other drivers tested cars there, and possibly more than one at a time. But never as a formal speedway with concessions, admission and a purse.